OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

rng 200 seat

Started by Old Timer, March 01, 2023, 11:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-Shaped

Take it for what it's worth, as I think vests are like boots, meaning they can be unique to the individual. I've used a RNG-200 as my primary vest (I primarily alternate between it, a Dixon, or no vest at all based on where I'm hunting and time of season) for the past four seasons. I've found the seat to be overall comfortable, but not necessarily something I'd want to sit on for more than a couple of hours. But for me, I'm rarely ever going to sit that long. It does seem like it is less comfortable than when it was new.

I bought the Sitka vest recently for its somewhat similar minimalist style, but with a larger pack to better-accommodate a bladder plus more storage for shedding layers on long-all day hunts where I may be covering a lot of miles. I was curious how the thin seat would work out, and time will tell as I put some miles on it, but I used it this morning on a hunt for the first time and so far so good.

My buddy and I set up on a bird, and from the time we set up to when he finally pulled the trigger was exactly two hours and not once did I feel even the slightest bit uncomfortable. I was actually pretty shocked as I didn't realize we'd been set up that long. Obviously, it's a sample of one and I plan to run it through the motions this season, but my initial reaction was that it actually seemed more comfortable than the RNG.

And I'm about as far from a Sitka fanboy as you can get ;D I bought it purely based on the design and what it offered for how I like to hunt. Hope this helps.

Old Timer

I`ll soon find out. Now if I could only figure out what that tiny pocket is for!

owlhoot

Quote from: Tandin93 on March 18, 2023, 10:10:50 AM
Quote from: Old Timer on March 15, 2023, 11:03:50 PM
Quote from: Tandin93 on March 15, 2023, 09:58:24 PM
I'm very interested in this thread as well! I ordered a grounded 2.0 and got it in today and it is just a little much for what I am looking for in a vest. I think it's going to be a little warm for me, and it is heavier than I'd like. As far as storage and build quality goes, it is top notch! If you are someone who carries a lot into the woods with you, it would be perfect. I tend to only carry a few mouth calls, one pot call, a locator, call, and a few other miscellaneous items. Not really a "kitchen sink" guy. Lol.

I am thinking of picking up a Sitka vest, but my only drawback was the seat. If I could retrofit some thing that worked well, I think it would be a home run for me! Let me know if you find something that works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Decided to run the Sitka this year. If the seat does not work out I will retrofit.

I think I'm going to do the same. Post some pics up if you end up retrofitting a seat!

I forgot my seat once. So grabbed a camo boat throw cushion .(Taking boat across a lake to get there). It ended up being a very comfortable option.
Works great on a metal seat treestand also.

TauntoHawk

I strapped a small air pad to the top of mine, it only adds like 4oz and more than double the comfort. I don't know why anyone hasn't made a cushion that is foam on the bottom with a circular or U shaped air channel that lets you dial in firmness and thickness.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>