OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Something Mellow?

Started by bbcoach, March 01, 2023, 09:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

I'm in the market for, a more mellow sounding slate call.  I've been researching several callmakers that have a cedar pot with a slate surface that would be a Good Fit.  And yes, I missed Dazzler's, Paul Hicks cedar red slate, by 20 to 30 minutes a few days ago.  With that being said, what are some of your recommendations???  If you have contact information that would be greatly appreciated.  You can respond here or PM me as well.  Thanks!

Big Jeremy

For a mellow call, a Mark McPhail (Wise Old Owl) call would fit the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runngun

Sadler McGraw makes a "Purr Pot" that is awesome!!!! Very mellow

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Big Jeremy

Quote from: runngun on March 01, 2023, 10:29:17 AM
Sadler McGraw makes a "Purr Pot" that is awesome!!!! Very mellow

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
This is a good one, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Light purrs and soft clucks aren't a problem for me on any pot.  What I was driving at was, it seems the softer woods in slate pots make for a softer more mellow sound.  I've heard several cedar pots that are what I think I'm searching for, but I don't know who makes a quality cedar or soft wood pot.  Point me in the right direction fellas.

Tom007

Quote from: bbcoach on March 01, 2023, 02:50:54 PM
Light purrs and soft clucks aren't a problem for me on any pot.  What I was driving at was, it seems the softer woods in slate pots make for a softer more mellow sound.  I've heard several cedar pots that are what I think I'm searching for, but I don't know who makes a quality cedar or soft wood pot.  Point me in the right direction fellas.

I have heard great things about Brad Roberts green Slate in a cedar pot. Might try and land one of them.....good luck.

Howieg

T3 Pur pot ,,,, thank me later .

Stumpy13

Lonnie Sneed lonesome hen in cedar might be a good choice for what you are wanting to do

MJW

That t3 purr pot sounds great

Howieg

There's a member on this site that makes a awesome lil caller named them" kistachie killer ".
  It a great low volume call also .   

Sixes

If you can get one, a Lonnie Mabry cedar slate is very mellow and softer than most other builders' calls

crow

Ralph Snodgrass (Lightning Strike) has a rectangular slate box that has nice mello sounding yelps and clucks.

He had some holly which is about like walnut, might have something softer.

3bailey3

Roger Parks double spur does it all...

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Sixes on March 01, 2023, 09:00:20 PM
If you can get one, a Lonnie Mabry cedar slate is very mellow and softer than most other builders' calls
Yes it certainly is. Nicely made call too.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

NCbowjunkie

I sold one yesterday that's probably what you are looking for. Originally built it to take to DDC this week end and was picking out a striker for it when 2 guys walked in the shop  after hearing it one guy started putting 20s on the table. After he had 3 on the table. I handed him the call and striker of his choice
Red cedar with green slate and IPE striker