Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

2023 Strut Stoppers story thread

Started by turkey harvester, February 27, 2023, 08:56:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmason3

Got a decent 2 year old this morning. Watched him breed several hens last weekend while calling for my uncle. He had his fun before the big boys came in and ran him off. He was was with 5 jakes this morning and he was gobbling like crazy. The jakes came in to check out the spread just like they were scouring for him. He sat out at 100 yards gobbling his head off and then when I quit responding he decided he couldn't take it anymore. Strutted in and lost his head at 15 yards. Glad to be on the board on my first sit of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aclawrence

Congrats Dmason. That's a nice way to kick off the season.

birdman67

Loving God's Creation!

JeffC

Congrats Gobblegetter and Birdman, great birds and pictures.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

dzsmith

"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

turkey harvester

Congratulations guys!! Tomorrow morning can't get here quick enough!!
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

turkey harvester

Had a couple that wanted to play opening morning. Absolute perfect hunt. Was actually in the same spot and same tree as we were during the youth season. Had 5 screaming in the bottom but could tell some were jakes. Few minutes later 3 jakes came to the decoys and wanted to pick a fight. We could still hear the other 2 gobblers bout 100 yards across this field and into the wood lot. The field is narrow but long. Didn't take much convincing for them to come see what the big deal was. Both gobblers run the jakes out of the way and it was a matter of time trying to get them to hold still. Finally its the 123 boom! both birds go down and the hunt is over at 6:32. First time my brother and myself pulled a double like that. Needless to say we were on cloud 9. This stuff never gets old!!!

JeffC

I will take those easy days anytime, Congrats to you and your brother!!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

wvhoyt19

Congrats men!!

birdman67

Congrats on a couple of nice birds!
Loving God's Creation!

Kygobblergetter

Congratulations guys!

dzsmith

Well done turkey harvester. Wish my opener in Arkansas was that good. Well done . I've never doubled myself .

dzsmith

Well no bird in Arkansas. I did complete my main objective which was to hear a bird there . Which I did. Unfortunately for the 4th time in 2 weeks , a bird was shot before I could finish the deal. That's got to be a record . I guess everytime I hear a gobble now I better break out in a sprint.... I prefer to play the long game with turkeys , to try and perfect the setup ... obviously I ain't doing something right. I've never encountered this . I would like to say I got whooped by the turkeys themselves but not really , I got whooped by the hunters . I have one trip left ... and it will be an attempt to either go back to Arkansas or Georgia . Got the rest of the week to ponder on it .

turkey harvester

That sucks!!  Starting to be that way here on public. Huckleberry had the same thing happen opening morning. Guy rolls in, sees his truck, turns around only to park 150 yards away and must have ran past him to get back in there first.

dzsmith

Guys mad toms bird has put us for the time being in 1st place . Not that it matters but this will be the first time that I remember this team every holding 1st for any portion of the season, which is awesome . Congrats to everyone on a job well done!