News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Old Gobbler Forum / Pretty Special / Information / Shannon Comment

Started by Greg Massey, February 25, 2023, 11:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candyman

Sir-diealot

I did not know Shannon's wife was involved in the site, nice to see it is a family effort. Thanks for all y'all do to keep this site up and honest as well as very informative. (I love seeing the biology posts when they come around.)

So many wonderful members here and they helped me so much in getting my first turkey after returning to hunting after 17 years because of my last car accident. All the advise was wonderful, as well as the calls that were given. Those that have been put together here have an extreme love for hunting this marvelous creatures God has given us and like Shannon go out of the way to help those getting started or returning in turkey hunting.

It's been great to learn so much about not only hunting but all the different calls that are out there that I had no clue about when I got here. I think I had 3 calls when I got here and now I have close to or just over 100, y'all have created and addiction and Shannon I blame you for that. lol

Thanks for the post Greg.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

bigdrumnc

Old Gobbler

Thanks for the kind words !!

Hey ...I'm just like the rest of you all , I drive a pickup truck , think about turkey hunting, think about the future of turkey hunting (worry about it often ) and enjoy hanging out with other turkey hunters it was built for folks like us

Some of you may or may not know ... We started OG in February of 2008 ...this is before the widespread use of smart phones . Things have changed ! The site literally took off off and is unstoppable ..Before I started the site , people had no viable watering hole to hangout online and converse in a adult manner , the few sites that were available were overrun with trolls , or didn't allow small time call makers to show and sell calls , talk about turkey guns etc..talk about hunting experiences without some kid living in his mom's basement trolling it up ...

My wife Annie fabricated the site , she has extensive experience making web pages ...sites with carts ..it took a incredible amount of effort to figure out how to do it , how get keep traffic  and even more keep troublemakers from causing trouble .I actually could write a book about it ...it would be a enlightening read ..you would not believe what folks have tried in the past

This technical feat is only possible with the usage of a dedicated server , we pay for that out of pocket, and over the years we have upgraded the service $$!! so it runs smoothly..  advertising, and member support (patches ) make that possible....if you make calls and needs help growing.. contact me p.m. etc , Og basically runs it self the members are experienced and mature enough to spot Bull #@it when they see it and contact me so I can get rid of it ..We like the friendly atmosphere, and it's going to stay that way ..people come here on their own free will because it's a enjoyable experience

Within a year of OG launching, it had more traffic than any turkey hunting printed publication...it is the most trafficked turkey hunting domain on the net ...people come here , and visit THOUSANDS OF TIMES PER DAY ...my data shows that registered members spend more time online , and guests switch in and out all day long looking for a good read and information

We are bumping up on close to 20 thousand members some time soon in the future..but what people don't realize is that 10 times more "guests" visit the site per day than registered members ...they read the forum like it's a magazine EACH AND EVERY DAY ..and the content here is indexed and easy to find ... something those huge ...huge social media sites have a difficult time trying to do .... Oldgobbler has INFORMATION and it's easy to access, Oldgobbler is made up of people like me and you .. the content posted here is the most up to date ...entertaining and informative you can find ANYWHERE and that includes printed material that is often way behind on the times

Call makers ...I'm a call maker for sure ! I noticed many years ago the trend was that small and locally made call makers ..you know the ones that make the best calls .. we're getting pushed right on out the industry..big box stores wee running mom and pop sporting goods stores and makers right out, they had slick marketing, cable tv shows that peddled Chinese made crap non stop ....I wanted to help folks out before the entire turkey hunting culture in this country was trampled to death with shipping containers from overseas.

We see the changes in Turkey Hunting these days , we see what's going on .. turkey population issues , hunting pressure ..and trust me we are staying ahead of the curb to make sure to do the right thing for everyone

Thx so much again for the kind words  --Shannon

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Wigsplitter

Outstanding work and thank you Shannon!! I am a member of this site because I have found none better plain and simple. I can always pick up a tip or two and enjoy visiting and learning with folks that have a passion for turkey hunting!!

highcj5

Great people and tons of knowledge on this forum. It is run very well.
:z-winnersmiley:

Sir-diealot

Thank you as well Annie, we appreciate your work. Shannon I had to smile when you brought up the servers and the price, when I was not able to hunt for those 17 years I got into computer gaming and our clan ran I think it was 6-8 servers some with 60 slots and for different games, the cost was very expensive and there were only like 7 or us that donated every month to run them, (Our rules were actually very similar to here in many ways which is a major reason I like it here) that is why I respect everybody here for doing their part to help keep the site up and going, not only on the tech side of things but on the financial side of things with the patches as well. Thanks to each of you that buy (Or attempt to buy) patches every year, you are also a part of what keeps the site great.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

tracker#1

Thank you, it's a great site...but my wife hates you all because I have spent a small fortune over the past years...lol

Haypatch

Totally Agree!! Thank you Shannon for everything you do to provide us with a awesome site to fellowship with other turkey nuts!!

WildTigerTrout

This is my favorite online hunting site.  It seems I am on it almost everyday.  I agree with prior comments from other members.  It is very organized and just plain fun to be here. Lots of information here especially for new turkey hunters.  Wish there would have had something like this site when I was learning to turkey hunt years ago. Talk about shortening the learning curve. Keep up the great work.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

jhoward11

Kudos to Shannon/wife and whoever else helps with this forum. Love all the info. you get here. Keeps me in that turkey mindset all year long. Thank you!!!

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey