OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TSS for Classic/Older Guns

Started by Spring Creek Calls, February 22, 2023, 09:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring Creek Calls

This was on the back page of the Bass Pro catalog I received yesterday. Gonna have to give it a try in my Model 12. Ounce and a half of TSS 9's seems perfect. Add anything and get the $50 free shipping.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

CALLM2U

Agreed.  1.5 oz is more than enough TSS.  I saw that same add and considered picking some up for a 1971 Wingmaster of my dad's that's only 2 3/4.   

crow

Your probably safe with pressures in that gun, but if pressure is an issue and your buying loaded ammo and not reloading, Foxtrot ammo would know what his pressures are.

Cowboy

If it's safe enough, may shoot it in my Remington 1100 with 30 in full choke barrel. Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

ElkTurkMan

Thanks for the heads up. I have a model 12 featherweight with a full choke Barrel, I really would like to take a turkey with it.

DROCK

That's a nice option. Thanks for sharing

Nathan_Wiles

I'm gonna try it in Winchester 50A that my dad used for ducks. It's got the factory poly choke thinking I can dial up a killing pattern with these in it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

Probably a nice low recoil option as well being only 1.5 oz!

20ga same price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slicksbeagles1

If it was me and I valued my gun I would ask an expert first before shooting TSS in that old of gun. You can kill a turkey with those guns with lead shot just pattern your shell try different shells and loads. I got one with my grandfather's 311 20ga and the best shell I patterned was a Winchester heavy dove with 6 or 8 shot. 30 yards no problem!

Old Gobbler

You have to understand that older guns typically have a more abrupt taper choke  , as in shorter constriction cone ...user beware !!! Lots and lots of guys bulged their older shotguns when modern fast steel shot  was used in older barrels

Steel shot , hevi shot , tss and tungsten matrix type amo is significantly harder than the soft lead that vintage shotguns were designed to use

Contact the ammunition maker to make sure ,
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Mick2394

I agree with contacting manufacturer, I have an old New Haven 600ct 20ga that I wanted to shoot tss out of and Mossberg said tss will be too hard on the C-LECT choke..thinking about getting a new barrel and swapping them out. Really would like to kill a bird with that gun

Semper Fi

the Ward

^ No need for a new barrel. Just get some Winchester long beards or Federal grand slams
and either of those shells should pattern well enough with your existing barrel to take a
turkey with.

Mick2394

You're definitely right, but I don't really put much money into anything else besides my kids and hunting so I figured why not make it a new gun and use it

Semper Fi

the Ward

Quote from: Mick2394 on February 23, 2023, 11:52:33 AM
You're definitely right, but I don't really put much money into anything else besides my kids and hunting so I figured why not make it a new gun and use it

Completely understand, it is fun setting up new gun stuff!

Mick2394

For sure!

Semper Fi