OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Carlson's Coyote Choke Tubes

Started by Sir-diealot, February 18, 2023, 06:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Howdy, the Mennonite I drive was talking about a Carlson's Coyote Choke Tube a friend had told him about, he was wondering if there is any difference between that and a turkey choke tube (Both capable of shooting TSS) and if so what would the differences be? He was thinking of getting one for next season. Thank you for any help given.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Dtrkyman

If the constriction is the same I would say no difference, but have not handled one to see.  Generally speaking a coyote load would be much larger shot and more likely a more open tube than a turkey tube.

My primos jelly head shot buck shot quite good though.

lowoctane

Dug mine out it's called Dead Coyote and measures .655 in REM.  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 18, 2023, 08:44:12 PM
If the constriction is the same I would say no difference, but have not handled one to see.  Generally speaking a coyote load would be much larger shot and more likely a more open tube than a turkey tube.

My primos jelly head shot buck shot quite good though.
I looked on their website and it did not show the constriction. From the site.
"Remington 12 Gauge Carlson's Coyote Choke Tubes
For use with Hevi-Shot, Bismuth or lead, this high performance choke tube has been specifically designed for the coyote hunter to deliver devastating downrange patterns upwards of 70 yards when shooting larger shot sizes. Produces very dense patterns when utilizing T and #4 Buckshot loads. Great for waterfowl and predator hunting. NOT FOR USE WITH STEEL SHOT LARGER THAN #4."

Quote from: lowoctane on February 18, 2023, 08:55:53 PM
Dug mine out it's called Dead Coyote and measures .655 in REM.  :camohat:
Thanks, just looked at my Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike Choke Tube and it is the exact same constriction.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Dtrkyman

That Jelly Head was a .660, so much for the more open choke for larger shot!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 18, 2023, 09:40:10 PM
That Jelly Head was a .660, so much for the more open choke for larger shot!
Makes sense. I do not have enough experience to really know. I bought the Indian Creek hoping to try some Apex TSS and now you can't get them into NY as we are in the occupied territory.

John Koenig:

tracker#1

I run that tube on a Remington 11-87 using #4 lead and the hevi dead coyote load, works well for both...  .655

Old Timer

I run the LB choke in my 835. Using 1 3/4 oz #5 LB. Devastating on yotes.

ChesterCopperpot

Trulock makes a great coyote choke and these are there recommendations for different choke systems. As far as a turkey choke, if it's tighter than .670 I sure wouldn't push it past #4 buckshot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

I had a Good friend that was hunting turkeys a few years ago on an old logging road.  He was setup and calling when he had a yote start to cross the road at 40 yards, he rolled him with his Remmy 870 with a .665 IC and Hevi 3" #6's.  He waited a couple of minutes and rolled the second one with the first, when it crossed the road following the first.  What I'm getting at is, most Remmy's pattern best with a choke in the .665 range if he is planning on using it for turkeys.  A .655 maybe too tight and over choke the shot.  If it's for yotes and TSS is in the cards, I understand a little more open choke works best.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 19, 2023, 03:18:26 PM
Trulock makes a great coyote choke and these are there recommendations for different choke systems. As far as a turkey choke, if it's tighter than .670 I sure wouldn't push it past #4 buckshot.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I meant the Indian Creek I have is .665 I guess I will be running #6 LB out of it until I run out of that for turkey. For the other it does say on the site no more than #4 Hevishot or lead.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: tracker#1 on February 19, 2023, 12:55:29 PM
I run that tube on a Remington 11-87 using #4 lead and the hevi dead coyote load, works well for both...  .655
I am not sure what he will be running it on, sounds like it is a good one though.

Quote from: bbcoach on February 19, 2023, 04:33:34 PM
I had a Good friend that was hunting turkeys a few years ago on an old logging road.  He was setup and calling when he had a yote start to cross the road at 40 yards, he rolled him with his Remmy 870 with a .665 IC and Hevi 3" #6's.  He waited a couple of minutes and rolled the second one with the first, when it crossed the road following the first.  What I'm getting at is, most Remmy's pattern best with a choke in the .665 range if he is planning on using it for turkeys.  A .655 maybe too tight and over choke the shot.  If it's for yotes and TSS is in the cards, I understand a little more open choke works best.
The sight says Hevishot or lead no larger than #4 I will have to take your word for it as I just don't have enough experience.

John Koenig: