turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Double Spurs

Started by Teamblue, February 16, 2023, 06:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teamblue

Has anybody taken a bird with double spurs before?  I havent but my brother did 2 years ago. Was kinda neat to find. Heres a pic. Both legs were identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doublespurs21

i have seen older photos of double spurs, do not remember where they came from.......

WV Flopper

MK M GOBL

I have killed one, and seen one other set "in hand"

MK M GOBL

turkeyfool

How common is it with no spurs (on a for sure gobbler w/ a solid beard)? Not even nubs, just flush clean?

Hook hanger

Have seen eastern with double 1.5" with 5/8" spurs. Also killed one on that farm that was slick legged with 11" beard.

Hwd silvestris

Quote from: turkeyfool on February 16, 2023, 07:30:47 PM
How common is it with no spurs (on a for sure gobbler w/ a solid beard)? Not even nubs, just flush clean?
I killed one 12 yrs ago that didn't have the slightest hint of a spur.  Had a 9 or so inch beard.   I can't get the darn picture to load up on here.  Im I know of one other fella that killed one last year that had no spurs.  I'm not sure how rare/common that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JordanKBarnes

Once in Georgia and once in Rhode Island. Definitely a rare occurrence.

JeffC

Killed a nice Tom a few years ago, was really surprised when I looked and he had double spurs. Never killed a multi beard Tom so had this one mounted, dropped off at my taxidermist and he shows me another double spur Tom with 1 1/2" mains and 1/2" secondary spurs. 
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Guskie

I got this double spur a couple years ago. He only had the double spur on one leg.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

kytrkyhntr

This is going to sound weird but I saw a bearded hen in 2006 get killed in kentucky and it had Jake like nub spurs
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Guskie on February 17, 2023, 08:51:46 PM
I got this double spur a couple years ago. He only had the double spur on one leg.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Just a question on your spurs, are they naturally this black? I have never seen anything like it, or is it in the way you clean them, or are you dyeing or painting them?

MK M GOBL

Guskie

I boiled and removed the spur cap on all of these except the double spur. The double spur is all natural. The spur below the double spur is painted with enamel paint.

The rest of the spurs, I boiled  to remove the cap. Then soaked the bone in amonia. Once degreased by the amonia, j used a peroxide paste to further whiten them. I soaked the spur caps n linseed oil. Once I had the bone white, I painted the spur bone black, then glued the linseed oil stained spur on.

Not sure which way I like the best, but there are a lot of methods to play with.

Turkeybutt

A double spur would be a real trophy and definitely one to get mounted or keep the spurs. Somebody somewhere has to have information from a study on how often this takes place.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Guskie on February 18, 2023, 12:02:21 AM
I boiled and removed the spur cap on all of these except the double spur. The double spur is all natural. The spur below the double spur is painted with enamel paint.

The rest of the spurs, I boiled  to remove the cap. Then soaked the bone in amonia. Once degreased by the amonia, j used a peroxide paste to further whiten them. I soaked the spur caps n linseed oil. Once I had the bone white, I painted the spur bone black, then glued the linseed oil stained spur on.

Not sure which way I like the best, but there are a lot of methods to play with.

Ok, kind of what I guessed with the painting. I have done a lot of spurs and like the unique individual colors of each spur. I do cut/clean/shape/polish them, but my process keeps them "natural" for myself and my customers.

Thanks for the info.

MK M GOBL