turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkyote Hunt?

Started by Archivist13, February 14, 2023, 06:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowboy

This one on a fall turkey hunt...I despise them.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

roberthyman14

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 14, 2023, 10:23:09 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 14, 2023, 08:31:57 PM
Quote from: Vintage on February 14, 2023, 08:26:22 PM
Some states coyote hunting is open all year.
Some they are not :'(

Thank HEAVEN that PA isn't one of those states !!!

Hard to imagine ANY state protecting the rotten things....
Florida public land you can not kill coyote during turkey season.  But I shoot them every chance I get. Never had a game warden say anything about it.  Then again I dont offer up the information eithier.  They don't want folks out coyote hunting with rifles during a time when you can only be shooting shotguns. Just trying to slow down the outlaws

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Guskie

I'll be the odd one in the group. I absolutely respect the coyote and enjoy hunting them as much as the wild turkey. I hunt coyotes from late Oct to February and put up all my fur. I have slowed some the last couple years with the collapse of the fur market, now I tan the nicest one to give away.

The coyote is very low concern for turkeys and will kill more efficient nest predators like possums, skunks, racoons, and red fox.

They are mousers. Sure they might eat a stinky deer fawn ever now and then, but who cares about a deer?

Wigsplitter

Shoot the coyote on site - help the birds out all you can- you take one gobbler a year he takes a whole brood out!! Those numbers don't add up very good!

Turkeybutt

Drop the yote, save some turkeys!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Guskie on February 14, 2023, 10:51:50 PM
I'll be the odd one in the group. I absolutely respect the coyote and enjoy hunting them as much as the wild turkey. I hunt coyotes from late Oct to February and put up all my fur. I have slowed some the last couple years with the collapse of the fur market, now I tan the nicest one to give away.

The coyote is very low concern for turkeys and will kill more efficient nest predators like possums, skunks, racoons, and red fox.

They are mousers. Sure they might eat a stinky deer fawn ever now and then, but who cares about a deer?
I am more along these lines. I enjoy hunting coyote, we call them, we trap them and we hunt them with dogs. I do not want to lose doing that. I disagree they are of little concern to turkey, have seen the remnants of what they can do to a turkey more than once. I do not hold to the whole "But they only eat mice and berries" group. I also care about the deer.

I am just not a kill them all type of person for any animal, not even wolves, I believe God put them in the ecosystem for a reason, I also believe we have the ability and the right to control their numbers and should, but not wipe them out.

Just a quick edit, I know some people are going to bring up invasive species or those that have been brought in that were not originally here which are most certainly a problem. They need to be controlled more than any of the others, I know pigs that were brought in are a major problem in The South and I believe The West as well. Snakes in Florida eating up The glades as well as I believe it's the Oscar fish I remember hearing or causing a lot of problems could be wrong on that one another species that never should have been brought over here and released and let's not forget alligators in New York City sewers.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Yoder409

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 15, 2023, 06:37:26 AM

I am just not a kill them all type of person for any animal........

I don't think you need to worry.   They're just like ticks and cockroaches.   You'll NEVER kill them all, no matter HOW hard you try.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

jhoward11

yote hunting is anytime, anywhere.

Dtrkyman

I don't care to shoot them anymore.  Definitely not ruining a turkey hunt to kill one.

Always used to shoot them with my bow while deer hunting, got into calling them briefly which is fun, however I do not care for just killing them to kill them, wasn't utilizing their fur so I just lost interest. 

MK M GOBL

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 15, 2023, 07:21:34 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 15, 2023, 06:37:26 AM

I am just not a kill them all type of person for any animal........

I don't think you need to worry.   They're just like ticks and cockroaches.   You'll NEVER kill them all, no matter HOW hard you try.
I hope not, they are fun to hunt and trap. I do enjoy hearing several packs howling at once though I clearly understand that they'll have to be controlled in that situation, it's still beautiful to hear though. I have no desire to have wolves at all in my area, though they are trying to get them reintroduced in New York but I would love to hear them howling one night out camping kind of like touching base with our ancestors and what they heard when they came. Almost sends a chill down your spine thinking about the beauty of it and the terror.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Big Jeremy

I'm with the vast majority here. If I have an opportunity at a coyote in range, I'm taking the shot.

Florida should consider doing something on public land by noting in regulations that coyotes can be taken with weapons allowed to legally take whatever other game is currently in season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Don't know other states' regs.  But in PA, if you are licensed and legal to be in the woods with a gun.........WHATEVER season or day of the year...........coyotes are legal targets.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

TonyTurk

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 15, 2023, 08:50:32 AM
I don't care to shoot them anymore.  Definitely not ruining a turkey hunt to kill one.

Amen brother!  I only get 7 or 8 days most Springs to hunt turkeys due to work and family obligations.  I am not going to ruin one of those days, or even a portion of one day, by shooting at a song dog.

To each their own.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 15, 2023, 08:50:32 AM
.... got into calling them briefly which is fun, however I do not care for just killing them to kill them, wasn't utilizing their fur so I just lost interest.
To answer the question, I have only had one experience where a coyote came to investigate my turkey calling.  I did not shoot it...

When I was younger (a long time ago) and fur prices were high enough to make it worth it, I did a lot of coyote calling.  It is a blast.  When fur prices went down to the point that it wasn't worth the effort, I stopped.  I have always been reluctant to shoot living creatures without utilizing them in some manner. ...That's just me...

I have no problem with anybody else shooting coyotes,...and am glad there are folks that do it regularly.  Personally, I think they are ineffective predators on adult turkeys (not so sure about nests and poults).  I also agree with the idea that coyote predation on turkeys is very likely offset by their predation on other nest-raiding animals.  As far as I am aware, however, the jury is still out on that hypothesis,...it just seems reasonable.

On the other hand, I believe coyotes are a scourge on smaller ungulates, especially deer and pronghorn fawns out here in the west. There are definitely times I wish I could change my outlook on shooting them for that reason alone.