Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Franchi Affinity 3 Turkey Cycling Issues?

Started by BDeal, February 13, 2023, 04:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDeal

I just received my 2nd gun in a couple of weeks  as the first one had defects. So I got this one put together, removed the plug and loaded it with some 3 inch 20 gauge shells and tried to unload it. I have to pull the trigger on an empty chamber in order for the magazine to release the next shell. I can cycle the bolt repeatedly with a full magazine and it will not eject or release shells from the tube. I think I'm gonig to see if it's too late to get my money back and return it but was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this issue?

Thank You!

Greg Massey

Quote from: BDeal on February 13, 2023, 04:39:10 PM
I just received my 2nd gun in a couple of weeks  as the first one had defects. So I got this one put together, removed the plug and loaded it with some 3 inch 20 gauge shells and tried to unload it. I have to pull the trigger on an empty chamber in order for the magazine to release the next shell. I can cycle the bolt repeatedly with a full magazine and it will not eject or release shells from the tube. I think I'm gonig to see if it's too late to get my money back and return it but was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this issue?

Thank You!
If you go on Youtube , and watch the video on this i think it will answer your question .... Young gentleman goes through this process ...

BDeal

Thanks I called them and it makes sense now. I did shoot 10 rounds through the gun today with 3 different types of ammo and it jammed on every single shot. I am trying to get a refund and hoping it isn't too late.

wyetterp

Shouldn't have to pull the trigger for sure. Here's from the manual.

Proceed as follows.
– Open the bolt.
The cartridge in the chamber is removed
from the firearm (figure 17).
– Release the bolt (figure 19).
– Reverse the firearm, push the carrier inside
and press the front side of the carrier latch
using the index finger (figure 20).
The first cartridge is removed from the
magazine.
Press the carrier latch again to remove all
the cartridges from the magazine one by one.

Page 13 shows some pics.

chrome-extension://bdfcnmeidppjeaggnmidamkiddifkdib/viewer.html?file=https://www.franchiusa.com/sites/default/files/content/media/manuals/2020-08/affinity_intensity_manual_2013.pdf
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Greg Massey

Quote from: BDeal on February 13, 2023, 05:26:20 PM
Thanks I called them and it makes sense now. I did shoot 10 rounds through the gun today with 3 different types of ammo and it jammed on every single shot. I am trying to get a refund and hoping it isn't too late.
That's interesting , i'm glad mine didn't have these problems ... I hope it all works out for you ...

wyetterp

Dang, hate to hear about the cycling issues on top of everything else. I can see how you'd be frustrated with it.

When you say it jammed, what was happening? Was it not extracting, or not feeding the next shell? Wondering what is the cause.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

BDeal

Quote from: wyetterp on February 13, 2023, 05:40:16 PM
Dang, hate to hear about the cycling issues on top of everything else. I can see how you'd be frustrated with it.

When you say it jammed, what was happening? Was it not extracting, or not feeding the next shell? Wondering what is the cause.

It extracted the shell from the chamber about half the time. It only loaded the next shell twice and both times the bolt didn't close all the way so the gun didn't fire the next shot.

Brillo

I guess I got lucky.  Mine has no issues at all.  What ammo?  Some have reported issues with Federal 3".  Mine worked fine but I am using Apex now just-in-case.

Dtrkyman

Did you clean the gun prior to shooting?  Most of the imported guns come with a cosmoline type packing grease so they do not corrode after packed at the factory.

That stuff is like glue!  Try to degrease the thing thoroughly and then use a quality gun oil and see what happens.

May not be your issue but it is often the issue with new guns, also many guns suggest a break in period with heavy loads before being able to cycle the light stuff.

BDeal

Quote from: Brillo on February 13, 2023, 05:53:09 PM
I guess I got lucky.  Mine has no issues at all.  What ammo?  Some have reported issues with Federal 3".  Mine worked fine but I am using Apex now just-in-case.

I shot some 2 3/4 Winchester and Fiochi and some 3 Inch Remington. I was going to shoot a couple of 3 inch Federals and couldn't get them to load in the magazine.

gobblers roost

I have the first affinity not one stitch of problem,I did shoot a box of 3" mag through it first.

Trkmaster88

I shot some 2 3/4 Winchester and Fiochi and some 3 Inch Remington. I was going to shoot a couple of 3 inch Federals and couldn't get them to load in the magazine.
[/quote]

Is it real hard to load a shell in the magazine?

BDeal

Quote from: Trkmaster88 on February 13, 2023, 07:13:16 PM

Is it real hard to load a shell in the magazine?
[/quote]

Its very strange as some shells loaded easily in the magazine but many didn't and several got stuck and I had to pull really hard on the bolt to free them and then some of them loaded easily when I tried again. I have a handful of shotguns and have ever experienced anything like this. I pulled the spring out of the magazine tube to see if there was some kind of obstruction or bent spring or something but everything looked good to me.

Brillo

I don't know enough about guns in general to help you.  If you search the site you will find more insight on breaking that gun in.  As long as you have shot it already, and how can you know there is an issue if you don't, I would clean it, oil it, and get a box of 3" field grade small game loads and run it through.   

Ondavirg

The shell loading issue can be fixed without a gunsmith.  I did it after watching it on YouTube, and I'm certainly no smith.  Basically you remove the latch holding the shells in the magazine tube and bend it slightly.  I had to play with it a little as I bent it a bit too far at first and it wouldn't hold the shells. Pretty easy deal if you are comfortable breaking the gun down you can avoid sending it back to franchi for a repair.  Not sure why they send them out like this but both mine and my buddy's guns had this issue. I will also add that this fixed my cycling issue as well with the longer 3" shells.  Before this it would cycle 2 3/4" and the roll crimped 3" shells but not the slightly longer federal tss shells.