turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

2 3/4 in a Mossberg 835

Started by Beardedbird, February 12, 2023, 04:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beardedbird

Is it a bad idea? A friend of mine is going to try turkey hunting for the first time this year and his shot gun is a 835. The problem is he has a messed up shoulder and bicep and shooting a large turkey load would be painful and probably make for dirty laundry.
So I was thinking a 2 3/4 inch tss load would probably be best but wasn't sure how they would shoot out of such a big critter.

runngun

It will be just fine. He can shoot all the 2.75 he can handle, it will not bother the gun at all. Patterns might actually surprise him. 

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

bbcoach

I shoot an 835 and they are one of the best patterning guns for turkeys IMO.  I would recommend a choke in the .670 to .676 range.  Pure gold, Sumtoy, Indian Creek and few others should give you Great patterns.  In 2 3/4", I would recommend TSS #9's, if your state allows them.  9's will put up a dense pattern and will kill out to a very respectable distance.  Good luck

Beardedbird

Bedge7767

I would shoot something else if it were me. Nothing kicks like a 835.
Jim

Dtrkyman

Shoot off handed, other shoulder is good I assume?  Get some foxtrot 1 5/8th oz loads.

ChesterCopperpot

Add a limbsaver, lighten the payload and that'll surely help his shoulder a great deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beardedbird

Yeah that foxtrot 1 5/8 oz was what I was thinking.

jhoward11

The 835 kicks like mule no matter the load. I put an extra butt plate on mine. She may kick like a mule, but I love my mule to death and wouldn't leave home without her!!! He could always trade the 835 for a good 20g.

bbcoach

I shoot 3 1/2 inch Hevi 7's in mine only.  Here is what I did to lessen the recoil.  Added a Limbsaver and put about 4 ounces of lead pellets in the rear of the stock and it tamed her to about what a 20 gauge would kick.  I personally don't even notice it.  With a 2 3/4 inch load, I'll bet you won't even notice it at all.  I have a hunting buddy that weighs about 150 and shoots 3 1/2 Federal TSS out of his 835 and hasn't complained once about the recoil.  He has a Limbsaver and some lead shot in his stock as well.

Just checked out those Foxtrot loads.   I haven't seen them before.  Looks really good guys.

Buckman18

Spyderman

Yeah, he'll have no problem. I use 2 3/4 out of my 835 for pheasants.

JohnSouth22

Quote from: Beardedbird on February 12, 2023, 04:55:49 PM
Is it a bad idea? A friend of mine is going to try turkey hunting for the first time this year and his shot gun is a 835. The problem is he has a messed up shoulder and bicep and shooting a large turkey load would be painful and probably make for dirty laundry.
So I was thinking a 2 3/4 inch tss load would probably be best but wasn't sure how they would shoot out of such a big critter.

Something more important than the shell length is the weight of the payload that its pushing (and fps)....for example I hand load a 2 1/8oz 2 3/4" shell that will kick the absolute piss out of you. And I've made 1oz 3" tungsten loads for ducks that kick considerably less.  For the least amount of kick while sticking with a 12 gauge shell go for the lightest payload while keeping the FPS relatively the same. If I was concerned for kick I believe foxtrot has a 1 5/8oz load (which is a popular payload for a 20 gauge) that will be more than enough shell to kill to 45yards and the weight of the gun will offset the kick. either that or there's several 1oz duck loads that would be more than enough for 40 yards if you use 9 shot (roughly 360 pellets per oz)

JohnSouth22

I second the limbsaver and maybe even the added lead to the buttstock for the extra weight. That paired with a lighter payload shell and it should be doable

Nastygunz

I put a Knoxx specopps stock on my 835 years ago, big reduction in recoil.