OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hide Or Be Seen

Started by Archivist13, February 10, 2023, 05:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archivist13

Curious. When you're out turkey hunting and you see someone else do you go out of your way to have them see you or do you try to not be seen in hopes they walk on by and don't know you were there? I know it's probably better to make your presence known, but I if I have the opportunity i try to stay hidden or out of sight and then make any upcoming decisions based on where that hunter went. What's your opinion?

Turkeybutt

I want them to see me and leave the area. Best to be seen then shot! I know my skill level  and experience,  I don't know this person's skill level or experience.  He could be a first time turkey hunter ! Just saying. You never know!

Zobo

Better he knows your there, never wave though.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Happy

Depends on if I am on their property or not......

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

3bailey3

RH1

Gonna be a quick loud..."hunter here". No moving!
Red Hills Turkey Calls

Greg Massey

Kylongspur88

I'll give them a whistle and let them know I'm around and go the other way. Too many accidents each year that could be prevented. If I'm on crowded public land I pack a blaze orange cap in my vest and wear it while walking in/out especially if I've got a bird in my vest or slung over my shoulder

Guskie

Depends on distance. Inside 100 yards give a verbal alert. Over that I'll just leave the area

Tom007

GobbleNut

I'm a "be seen" guy myself.  Those initial moments when I see someone else (which doesn't happen often) are the key for me.  I watch closely to see if they recognize me as a hunter, first and foremost,...which has always been the case.  If I was to run into someone whose reaction indicated they thought I was something other than a person, I would be 1) yelling at them and 2) diving behind the nearest obstacle,...and not necessarily in that order. 

In addition, unless one of us is actively engaged with a gobbler, I will wander over and speak to them about what their plans are so we will not interfere with each other.  A bit of friendly conversation and coordination about future plans for hunting that area can go a long way. 

Now, if I am headed to a vocal gobbler and realize someone else is engaged with that bird, I am immediately backing out carefully so as to do everything needed not to spook the turkey(s).  I would expect any other hunter to do the same for me. 

the Ward

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on February 10, 2023, 08:38:48 PM
I'll give them a whistle and let them know I'm around and go the other way. Too many accidents each year that could be prevented. If I'm on crowded public land I pack a blaze orange cap in my vest and wear it while walking in/out especially if I've got a bird in my vest or slung over my shoulder
Same here, I keep a blaze hat or neck gaiter handy so if someone comes in on me i can pull
it out so the other fella can see it. Also like you, i will put it on for the walk out usually, for sure
if i am packing a bird. Possibly getting shot at with tss scares the crap out of me.

ChesterCopperpot

I most assuredly want to be seen, and as was suggested that needs to be done with a voice and not with movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranger

Whistle the Andy Griffith theme, they'll leave
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

runngun

Maybe start playing "Dueling Banjos" on your phone!!!! Squel like a pig BOY!!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.