OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Roosted birds by creek?

Started by jhoward11, February 09, 2023, 01:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhoward11

The more i pay attention, the more I notice birds roosting along or by a creek, river, brook, or whatever you call it. I have always heard about that, but never really payed much attention. Why do you think this is? Is it so they can drink after fly down, or does the sound of a babbling brook make them sleep better. Just curious on you all's thoughts.

Old Timer

Food, water, cover. They also can see pretty well like when they roost the edge of a field. I look for thi situation when I scout. Has paid dividends in the past. Good luck.

tal

I'm not sure why but birds will hang a limb over water a lot. Even dry creeks in the hollows

GobbleNut

One possibility, at least in some instances, is that the biggest, preferred types of roosting trees often grow in those riparian habitats along waterways, and conversely, occur less frequently, if at all, outside of those habitats.  :icon_thumright:

Greg Massey

Food, Cover, Water and the movement from other predators in alarming them something is moving below them. Creek bottoms usually green up faster and offer grit
for digestion and food..

guesswho

Safer, in case of a sneak attack from ground predators.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Cowboy

Find water, find the turks. 

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

Theory is Turkeys like to roost over water to keep predators from slipping up under them.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Gooserbat

Sometimes the only trees are around water.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Neill_Prater

I think it is instinctual. I believe it is because it gives the birds a safe place to go in case of a predator. Fly across the river, and they have an immediate barrier between them and danger.

Yes, I am aware that the river is sometimes a rivulet, but I think that's the instinct thing.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

roberthyman14

When scouting i really only focus on water edges.  This last season is the 1st time I found a bird on a field edge and water was not around. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Kylongspur88

Like others said good roost trees and a barrier from predators.

snoman4

Osceola turkeys love roosting over water.  I think it is protection from predators.  I have seen coyotes and bobcats spook flocks and they fly into the swamp most times.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Cottonmouth

I live near a river and the turkeys roost over it most of the season. I think because of predators. I have found it's best to do very little calling on the roost, a few tree yelps then shut up. Otherwise get the boss hen mad and she will fly across the creek carrying the gobbler.

mcw3734

From a western hunting perspective, trees along riparian areas are often saved from the saw to protect stream functionality and therefore generally have older trees, which can tend to be better roosting sites. And in really arid areas or grasslands, along water is the only place you find trees of any kind.

Also, in mountain country the streamside trees environments down in the canyons and gullies can provide more protection from windy, nasty weather. But that's me just taking a guess.