OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bear Country

Started by Cowboy, February 06, 2023, 07:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zobo

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on February 11, 2023, 05:02:11 PM
I've never hunted in bear country very much. I was bow hunting in the Ocala National Forest one year, and happened upon a mother with 2 cubs. I was in full camo with the wind in my favor, and hoped they would wander off. Then the wind shifted carrying my scent to mama. She turned and looked directly at me. I stepped out into the trail, bow up. I started backing down the trail while facing her. Mama and the cubs followed. After a 100 yard retreat, I went around a corner and lost sight of the bears. At that moment I turned and sprinted all the way back to my truck. LOL!! That was pretty unnerving, so I went elsewhere for the day.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

At what point did you change your underwear? Good heavens!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

WV Flopper

During my time bear hunting I have learned a couple things.

I think the most important to this discussion is this: A old sow bear can be meaner than any copperhead snake you'll run into. And, they are just as quick.

Bears don't have to be big and intimidating to be deadly. I guarantee this! It is a fact. Big bears are usually lazy, small bears, well they are fast and agile on a dime.

Keep this is mind. It only takes one bad bear, one time, to ruin your life. All I am saying is be careful around bears. A Lot are just nice big teddy bears, some are not. You won't be able to tell the difference until it's to late.

Two thumbs down!!!

Zobo

Quote from: WV Flopper on February 11, 2023, 09:06:58 PM

I think the most important to this discussion is this: A old sow bear can be meaner than any copperhead snake you'll run into. And, they are just as quick.

Bears don't have to be big and intimidating to be deadly. I guarantee this! It is a fact. Big bears are usually lazy, small bears, well they are fast and agile on a dime.

Keep this is mind. It only takes one bad bear, one time, to ruin your life. All I am saying is be careful around bears. A Lot are just nice big teddy bears, some are not. You won't be able to tell the difference until it's to late.

Two thumbs down!!!

You better watch out, sensible information like that could very possibly get you a THIRD thumbs down!!!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: Paulmyr on February 11, 2023, 01:03:20 AM
Quote from: El Pavo Grande on February 10, 2023, 11:31:33 PM
I've seen several over the years, but this one was at 5 steps when I took this picture in the spring of 2020.   I had phone in one hand videoing and 20 gauge (safety off) in the other.  I don't usually get too worried with them, but with him not knowing what I was, he wouldn't leave for a brief time.  He kept trying to step closer to me, but would halt when I would speak out to him.  Pretty tense at the time.

Did yah scratch him behind the ears?

I was tucked under a cedar tree.  I got my phone out and started videoing when I saw him at about 40-50 steps.  I didn't expect him to turn directly to me. He was just walking and was at the log when I spoke out to stop him.  He would have been at arms length.  I briefly thought how awesome it would have been to reach out and touch him as he passed by (on video), but after thinking about it, realized what a stupid idea that would have been.  I figure the odds weren't great enough in my favor of fight or flight for it to potentially go bad.  He popped his jaw after I stopped him and he came around the pine still checking me out. 

Turkeybutt

Wow! I'd say you were lucky, very lucky!
With you sitting on the ground and him that close there wasn't a choice between fight or flight, you weren't fleeing anywhere. It was going to be a fight if he had bad intentions.
Great photos and a memory you wont ever forget.  Thanks for sharing the story and the photos.

Yoder409

Quote from: WV Flopper on February 11, 2023, 09:06:58 PM

Two thumbs down!!!

Great post !!!

I've had woods encounters with black bears that ranged from about 5 pounds to nearly 700 pounds. The ABSOLUTE WORST............was a bear that MAYBE tipped 125 pounds soaking wet.  Meanest S.O.B. by far out of all of them.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.