OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bear Country

Started by Cowboy, February 06, 2023, 07:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylongspur88

Black bears are around and I've seen them at a distance but they don't want to have anything to do with me. Never been nervous around black bears. I've fished in grizzly country but never hunted. That's a little different and I'm always trying to be a little more aware of what's around me there. Also keep the bear spray and pistol handy

sswv

black bear encounters are pretty common where I'm at.  had one start up a tree I was in one time and, walked up on two different ones in the dark before. the one in the tree now keeps me company in my man cave. the other two ran like a coyote.

TrackeySauresRex

Once in Pa. I treed 2 small cubs and I'm talking small. It happened at first lite when I was moving in on a group of birds. MaMa then stood tall trying to suck me through her nose. Luckily the wind was in my favor, No telling what might have happened. Only 35/40 yards away I backed out on a slow moon walk watching her ready to raise.  :jackson: Definitely on Ohh boy hair on my neck standing experience!
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Zobo

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on February 07, 2023, 12:35:43 PM
Once in Pa. I treed 2 small cubs and I'm talking small. It happened at first lite when I was moving in on a group of birds. MaMa then stood tall trying to suck me through her nose. Luckily the wind was in my favor, No telling what might have happened. Only 35/40 yards away I backed out on a slow moon walk watching her ready to raise.  :jackson: Definitely on Ohh boy hair on my neck standing experience!

Here's a good example of how circumstances matter in determining how dangerous black bears can be. Glad she couldn't smell you.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

WV Flopper

If you don't respect a bear your a fool.

I have been run over by a bear, had several blow at me, a couple charge. I haven't shot one in those circumstances YET, but it won't bother me when I do.

When I do, it will be because I felt danger was eminent. I have killed plenty of them point blank, when you get blood spatter on your face,  or your semi locks up because it has hair lodged between barrel and slide you were close enough. This is hunting bear, completely different than just creeping through the woods and there one is eye balling you.

Respect the bear, or get bit.

Yoder409

Quote from: WV Flopper on February 07, 2023, 08:17:43 PM

Best advice so far.

They ain't always "more afraid of you than you are if them".   I can assure you of that.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Mountainburd

I see them pretty much every year in the spring. I just make a wide walk around them. They usually see me and move along. I saw a sow and a cub a couple of mornings the season before last. They kind of got used to seeing me. The only time I ever had one make me uncomfortable was when a 300 pounder climbed my tree one October when I was bow hunting. I was in a climber. That one was a little too close for my comfort.

Bowguy

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 07, 2023, 08:41:11 PM
Quote from: WV Flopper on February 07, 2023, 08:17:43 PM

Best advice so far.

They ain't always "more afraid of you than you are if them".   I can assure you of that.

This is so very true. People make assumptions based on what they've heard or been told  Actual experience is much different. As I stated the area around here is crawling w bears. Nothing to see a bunch a day. Google Highland Lakes, Vernon, West Milford NJ. The bear shows you see on tv about crazy populations, break ins, attacks on animals, etc are mostly filmed around here. At one point we were over 50 break ins of houses a year. You're under your truck changing the oil and you see paws walking up your driveway. When I did taxidermy you'd be amazed I bet 1/2 the local bear hides I tanned had bird shot in them from being shooed away. You have yo put your garbage out only when the truck is within hearing or you'll wake up to a garbage trail into the woods but even with the garbage trucks 3 houses away you ain't safe. They walk out amid the chaos of garbage men noise to lift a bag from your barrel. That being said, based on lots encounters, bears are a lot like people. Most you can mess with some you'll wish you hadn't. A little yippy dog trees one and the next kills a German Shepard just because it got near him. A college kid was eaten a few years back one town over just hiking. People get attacked going into their garage refrigerator not knowing a bear was there. A lady was attacked this summer trying to save her dog. Here's an interesting one, my buddy let's the neighbor put some cows in his fields. His other neighbor apparently went to get the mail. She saw a bear coming and did something to scare it off. If grabbed her, knocked her down and was mauling her. The cow neighbor driving down the road saw the bear on top of her. He drove up swerving near, honking his horn.  He got the bear to leave. The bear only but up her buttocks and maybe her back it was but she needed to go to hospital and the bear wasn't at it long before the guy saw her. Google that as well cause somebody may think it can't be true. All bears are NOT afraid of you

Bowguy

Couple recent news article pics, to be clear I'm by no means saying be afraid. Just don't make assumptions they all run away. They don't

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

A

Bowguy

A

El Pavo Grande

I've seen several over the years, but this one was at 5 steps when I took this picture in the spring of 2020.   I had phone in one hand videoing and 20 gauge (safety off) in the other.  I don't usually get too worried with them, but with him not knowing what I was, he wouldn't leave for a brief time.  He kept trying to step closer to me, but would halt when I would speak out to him.  Pretty tense at the time.   

Zobo

I can see why you might have been a little concerned, awesome picture!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Paulmyr

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on February 10, 2023, 11:31:33 PM
I've seen several over the years, but this one was at 5 steps when I took this picture in the spring of 2020.   I had phone in one hand videoing and 20 gauge (safety off) in the other.  I don't usually get too worried with them, but with him not knowing what I was, he wouldn't leave for a brief time.  He kept trying to step closer to me, but would halt when I would speak out to him.  Pretty tense at the time.

Did yah scratch him behind the ears?
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

RutnNStrutn

I've never hunted in bear country very much. I was bow hunting in the Ocala National Forest one year, and happened upon a mother with 2 cubs. I was in full camo with the wind in my favor, and hoped they would wander off. Then the wind shifted carrying my scent to mama. She turned and looked directly at me. I stepped out into the trail, bow up. I started backing down the trail while facing her. Mama and the cubs followed. After a 100 yard retreat, I went around a corner and lost sight of the bears. At that moment I turned and sprinted all the way back to my truck. LOL!! That was pretty unnerving, so I went elsewhere for the day.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk