OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bear Country

Started by Cowboy, February 06, 2023, 07:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowboy

For you guys that turkey hunt areas with bears, have you ever had any close calls or reason for concern?

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Yep.  Twice.

And the wife's uncle got into a REAL pickle, once.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Tom007

Yes, but they always go their way, and I definitely go my way. Had one lip curl once, I slowly moved off always facing him. He eventually moved off. Even though I had a gun, it was a bit unnerving to say the least.....

deathfoot

A couple of years ago I was hunting with my buddy and we were heading toward some roosted birds. We stumbled on a big black bear, he ran up a tree. I kept going toward that tree because I was worried about getting set up before fly down. My buddy froze. As I was about 5 yards from the tree the bear started chomping...I kept toward him. He finally climbed down and ran away.

My friend said "what the hell are you doing". I said "I ain't worried about no damn bear. We have to get to our spot." He said "if that bear charged you, you'd be worried". I said "nope. I've got plenty of shells."

Long story short. They don't scare me. They just as scared as we are. Maybe I'm not too bright. But I know a lot of hunters who are scared of them. Im just not.

Paulmyr

Quote from: deathfoot on February 06, 2023, 07:43:24 PM
A couple of years ago I was hunting with my buddy and we were heading toward some roosted birds. We stumbled on a big black bear, he ran up a tree. I kept going toward that tree because I was worried about getting set up before fly down. My buddy froze. As I was about 5 yards from the tree the bear started chomping...I kept toward him. He finally climbed down and ran away.

My friend said "what the hell are you doing". I said "I ain't worried about no damn bear. We have to get to our spot." He said "if that bear charged you, you'd be worried". I said "nope. I've got plenty of shells."

Long story short. They don't scare me. They just as scared as we are. Maybe I'm not too bright. But I know a lot of hunters who are scared of them. Im just not.

Its a bit different when you got one eyeballing you as he's coming up the trail at 35yds and your standing there with a knife and an arrow in your hand. I gave that one  a little respect. Eventually he did move on, though I had my doubts for a few moments. I think it might have been the cuss words that turned him around!
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Zobo

I had one making a racket not too far ahead of me one morning. :help: But in the words of an illustrious OG member who once admonished us all with multiple "thumbs down" for considering protecting ourselves from a grizzly attack:  "I would never shoot a bear....I don't care if that bear kills me. :z-dizzy: I have to try for that bird( turkey/30 pounder) —HPD
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Yoder409

Quote from: Zobo on February 06, 2023, 08:22:17 PMBut in the words of an illustrious OG member who once admonished us all with multiple "thumbs down" for considering protecting ourselves from a grizzly attack:  "I would never shoot a bear....I don't care if that bear kills me. :z-dizzy: I have to try for that bird( turkey/30 pounder) —HPD

I may have just peed a little !!!

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Dtrkyman

Came face to face with a monster bruin in Colorado a couple years ago, luckily he saw me when I saw him and he bailed, I think my jaw was on the ground but my gun was on it's way to my shoulder!

He was down in a steep valley either bedded there or eating some of the fresh green in there, it was literally 6-8 feet wide right there and nearly verticle on each side!  How I didn't see that monster in that tight spot much earlier baffles me, I think I was looking at the ground for turkey sign?

BBR12

I've never actually seen one while I was hunting. However I did come across a Huge pile of very fresh scatt (probably twice as big as a pile of horse manure) while trying to roost a bird for my buddy as I had already killed in that state. I didn't have a gun and it was getting dark. That one made me a little uneasy. It really kind of spooked me the next day after talking to a local rancher who said they were having terrible trouble with the grizzlies while hunting  elk and mule deer in the mountains. They were having grizzlies more or less stalk them and multiple hunters had had kills taken by grizzlies before they could recover them. 

Zobo

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 06, 2023, 09:23:29 PM
Quote from: Zobo on February 06, 2023, 08:22:17 PMBut in the words of an illustrious OG member who once admonished us all with multiple "thumbs down" for considering protecting ourselves from a grizzly attack:  "I would never shoot a bear....I don't care if that bear kills me. :z-dizzy: I have to try for that bird( turkey/30 pounder) —HPD

I have to admit, I kinda miss that guy  :TooFunny: :TrainWreck1: :TooFunny:
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Old Timer

had a blackie follow me a few years back. Now in bear country I carry the LC.

Old Timer

Quote from: Zobo on February 06, 2023, 10:06:11 PM
Quote from: Yoder409 on February 06, 2023, 09:23:29 PM

I have to admit, I kinda miss that guy  :TooFunny: :TrainWreck1: :TooFunny:
He sure could spin  a yarn. Kept us entertained!

Chad Gus715

I've encountered bears numerous times, I've never really worried about them. Had a very large black bear stick is head in my ground blind,  one time while deer hunting.

Bowguy

I've had a couple but I see bears almost every day. I don't go in anywhere hunting using a flashlight. Course my gun is unloaded as I climb mountains. I was following a dried up creek up the mountain early one morning in the dark. . About halfway up I hear what sounds like air from a hot air balloon kinda close in front of me. I knew it was a bear blowing at me. Couldn't tell exactly where it was but obviously agitated. I started to look for a flashlight and shells. Pretty cool seeing glowing eyes not too far away.  I was married though and remember your woman will kill you before a bear will. Im sure you're not worried about her. You should be. Anyhow to say I live in bear country is an understatement. Im right next to where the kid was eaten a couple years back in NJ. Last year multiple dogs were attacked and some killed, a few people attacked. I saw 11 one day Bowhunting. I've been mock charged twice not turkey hunting. Pretty sure your exposure might be less to em unless you live right close. Than I'll invite you along wearing a bacon scented bandana. I always feel safer when I'm the lesser target! Just kidding. Im still writing and besides sharks don't blow at ya. You go in the ocean? Don't worry bout the bears. The woman? Be afraid and hide your money and possessions

bigdrumnc

In the field no.  They are thick where I hunt in eastern NC.  They don't bother you unless you approach a mom with cubs.  They pass along.  Heck where I dear hunt my friend manages for them.   He is a very reputable bear outfitter.  I have left the stand with 6 bears at the feeders and they don't mind me at all.   The most i worry about a bear is on the road in the dark.