OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What weather conditions produce the best action?

Started by Tom007, February 06, 2023, 06:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Interesting answers, love to hear these different conditions of success.

Howie g

3bailey3

Bowguy

Imo without a doubt the best scenario regarding weather is right after it thunders all night and stops near daylight. Every bird in the woods gobbles it seems and you often get numerous chances as they're often pretty responsive. I've never kept records either, just not my style but this is an obvious observation

Sir-diealot

I have not been at it as long or able to be at it as long may be a better way to put it but I have seemed to notice foggy mornings really seem to get them fired up after the fog has lifted.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

jhoward11

40"s, no wind, little rain, fog, thunderstorm, snow.... get the point? I've shot them in all weather. I can't say one time is better than others. If it's a crappy day, I get a chance to walk and learn. For the sake of this post, I'll say cool, clear and no wind. Seems like they gobble more on roost. Just being in the woods is therapeutic. 2 more months before I get to see my Therapist:)

RutnNStrutn

Most of the time hunting in Dixie, I have found that cool, crisp mornings with little to no wind are usually great for gobbling activity. Although there are some mornings like that when you hear little to no gobbling and are left scratching your head.
When I've hunted out west it has normally been windy, and those birds gobble good regardless. Then again, these are Merriams and Rios that love to hear themselves talk.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Mountainburd

Quote from: Bowguy on February 06, 2023, 11:09:16 PM
Imo without a doubt the best scenario regarding weather is right after it thunders all night and stops near daylight. Every bird in the woods gobbles it seems and you often get numerous chances as they're often pretty responsive. I've never kept records either, just not my style but this is an obvious observation

I have a good buddy that says the exact same thing. The morning following bad thunderstorms is dynamite. I have not had the scenario play out enough to see a pattern.

Like others said, clear cold mornings with high pressure seem to be the best. But also as mentioned, you can have the same conditions another day and have very little gobbling.

I always say. It seems like more days than not in the last 5 years or so, turkeys do very little gobbling and seem to be less receptive to calling. But if you are there on the right day, get ready.

shaman

I've been at this for over 40 seasons, and I still can't get figure out how gobblers respond to weather.

I had an online buddy once say that the ideal condition was increasing temps and decreasing dewpoint.  However, if you look for those conditions, they almost never happen.

I've taken gobs when it was bone dry.  I've taken gobs with a hint of rain in the air.  I've taken them before and after a thunderstorm.  I've taken them after snow and after rain.

Where I am now, in NE Kentucky, I generally look for 3 days of highs above 70 to really set them off.  However, I've shot them below 45F.

If it's cold and sunny, I will expect to see them more on the east and south-facing pastures, sunning themselves.

If it's drizzling,  I'll expect to eventually see them walking across the field, feeding on worms.

If it's windy in the aftertoon, I go to one of my listening posts and throw loud yelps with a box call.   It might take hours for a gob to come in, but sometimes they do.

Looking at my log, I can tell you the average temp I shoot them at is 56 F.  However, that's more about what the morning temps are the first couple weeks of season are more than anything else.   The range is 40F to 70F.  I've shot almost all of them on rising dewpoints and rising barometer.  However, there are exceptions to both.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

g8rvet

Best gobbling here in N Florida TENDS to be the day after a front comes through as long as it is not super windy. 

Fog is my least favorite because I should just sleep in and not even head out until the fog has lifted, I just can't make myself do that. 

Drizzling rain is tops for open areas or fields. I have sat a field edge in the rain and heard nothing until all of a sudden he starts hammering as he arrives at the field.  Checking fields from a distance through brush is the main reason I have my binocs. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

RiverBuck

More times than not, I put my hands on a wet bird.

WV Flopper

Turkeys act a little different in different areas/regions.

I hunt one area that is at 2800' and another area that is at 500'. On a early spring day at 2800' they will gobble good at 32 degrees, at 500' those boys have lock beak.

I do not like high humidity days at all in my area. But I did have a day 30 years ago when a bird was on fire but the girl run him off swatting the incredible amount of black nats that morning.

I do keep a log and have kept it for 7-8 years. In my area, humidity not good, cool, crisp, warming is awesome for gobbling action.

TMI. Keep a log.