Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What weather conditions produce the best action?

Started by Tom007, February 06, 2023, 06:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

I keep a log book for my deer and Turkey harvests, mostly recording the weather conditions on a particular day. The weather conditions that have  produced the best Gobbler activity for me are as follows: (New Jersey, New York)

Very little or no wind
High humidity
40-65 degrees: (day break temp 35 or higher)
Overcast

These conditions have definitely yielded the best gobbling activity and successful hunts for me over the years. Wanted to get others experience on this.....

Gooserbat

I've not kept any records but I have the experience to say high pressure and no wind. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

zelmo1

I agree with Gooserbat. I like it when its 60 degrees at 1000, day starting around 42ish and warming up slowly. Z

hunter85

I don't keep a log of anything, probably should as that sounds like it could be very useful information to have. Yet with me pretty much being limited to hunting weekends in all honesty I would not use it and hunt any chance I had. I do know with weather patterns holding the birds in my area seems like they will gobble there heads off on Saturday and Sunday morning they must be so horse they don't make a peep. Does not seem to be any real rhyme or reason to weather they are going to be spunky when the sun breaks the tree tops or not. I also know if it is raining it is going to be deer hunts cause they aren't going to make a sound.

Brew-Ho

Always windy where I live. I do have the best luck when the wind lays, but it certainly doesn't discourage the gobblers here. I really like hitting the woods right after the rain stops and sneaking along field edges. if its not blue skies.... give me some drizzle.

northms

I like a blue bird sky with no clouds, cool crisp temp maybe in mid 40s, no wind, and high pressure. Seems best in MS for gobbling. Most important to me is cloud cover. On warm, humid cloudy days where the sun never really has a distinct rise is worst from my experience.

guesswho

Field turkeys I like a drizzling rain.   Raining day on a field turkey usually ends with a kill.  Woods turkeys I prefer cool, crisp, low wind mornings.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

Other than trying to avoid windy days like the plague, as well as staying out of the rain and snow, I have given up on trying to find any association between the weather and turkeys gobbling.  There are probably some atmospheric conditions at work that influence how willing they are to gobble, but I really don't delve into the science that much. 

As hunter85 stated, I have pretty consistently seen consecutive days of what appeared to be identical conditions in which one day the gobblers went crazy and the other they were shut down.  Go figure...

I just pretty much watch the weather report, try to avoid the windy/rainy/snowy days as much as possible (if I have that option), and then go huntin',...and hope for the best...   ;D

deathfoot

I'd have to say, I've heard the most gobbling activity on cooler overcast days. The biggest gobbler I ever killed tho was on a crisp clear morning with the temp around 28 degrees. I've killed them in every type of weather but one and that's severe fog. I'm in the mountains...so when I say fog I mean can't see your hand in front of your face fog. I used to say turkeys don't gobble in the fog because in my 30 years of turkey hunting I'd never heard one gobble in the fog...until last year. Almost called him in. But it wasn't as thick of a fog that day.

So if I'm going to avoid a day...it's a foggy day. I hate the wind too but they will gobble in the wind, just may not be able to hear them.

Dtrkyman

Most places high pressure chilly mornings, suns out guns out!  However in New mexico the sun is basically always out so something else is at play there.

So many old pics of turkeys are blue bird days!  I really like the first couple nice days after a few crappy days, one spring a few years back in Missouri I was at my friends camp and nothing was going on for 3 days with some horrible weather, the next morning breaks clear and cool, boom, 3 guys in camp 3 birds down.

Greg Massey

I think weather plays a part in gobbler activity, high pressure, 60 degree days and sunny skies with very little wind. I know it sure does improve my attitude if the weather is this way and mood. But i have to say i have seen them gobble in bad weather, rain, snow, wind and cloudy days. Gobbling is a way for the birds to communicate. I think if there are less hens in the area, he is going to gobble less and the age of the gobbler affects his gobbling.  So again i think weather plays a part and i think gobbling is also a part of saying hey other gobblers this is my territory in his way of keeping his hens or pulling other hens to his area. Just like rendezvous of all flocks coming together and getting to witness seeing a breakup of all the gobblers and hens. if you notice all of these gobblers and hens go in a different direction to establish territory, in hopes of matting and survival. Weather, territory, communications, matting and survival all play a part in my opinion. With it all affecting gobbling activity daily / yearly ...

Flatbottomarky

I'll take high pressure, crisp and cool for gobbling activity.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

Happy

A nice fire, a glass of wine, and no kids at home works best for me.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

sswv

heaviest gobbler I ever killed was in about 4"s of snow and still coming. he didn't shut up until I pulled the trigger.

longest beard I ever killed was a cool day with 40mph wind gust. every time the wind would calm I heard him gobble. shot him at 25yds and, he had 2 other longbeards with him.

I've told my hunting buddy many times...the animals don't have the convivence of a nice indoor shanny when it's bad outside. hunt'em whenever you have the chance.

oh yeah' the biggest bucks we get on camera is always during a bad weather day.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Happy on February 06, 2023, 11:18:49 AM
A nice fire, a glass of wine, and no kids at home works best for me.
Your comment is the winner, same here haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk