turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Facemask / Trumpets, Wingbones and Tube Calls

Started by Greg Massey, February 05, 2023, 12:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

We discussed what type of gloves while running a trumpet or other air calls ... NOW what about facemask? Do you use a certain type or brand. What do you find that works the best for running these type calls?      OR no mask at all....  Share brands of facemask with us all etc...

davisd9

I use a 3/4 adjustable with a hole cut in for the call. Brand and pattern make no difference as long as it is 3/4 and adjustable. I have a big head.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

paboxcall

Quote from: davisd9 on February 05, 2023, 01:09:17 PM
I use a 3/4 adjustable with a hole cut in for the call. Brand and pattern make no difference as long as it is 3/4 and adjustable. I have a big head.

Same, 3/4 adjustable. I keep my Jordan/wingbone/trumpet high on my chest and tucked under the bottom of the mask so its easy to get to with my right hand.

Have also punched or cut a small hole in face masks, but prefer to shorten up the lanyard when I set up against the tree.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

EZ

Quote from: paboxcall on February 05, 2023, 01:15:10 PM

Same, 3/4 adjustable. I keep my Jordan/wingbone/trumpet high on my chest and tucked under the bottom of the mask so its easy to get to with my right hand.

Have also punched or cut a small hole in face masks, but prefer to shorten up the lanyard when I set up against the tree.

X2

Greg Massey

I do feel brand name matters some are a lot better than others in how they fit or holdup etc... IMO  ... Sure you can buy a cheap 3/4 one ... but quality and brand does matter.. IMO

davisd9

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 05, 2023, 01:32:19 PM
I do feel brand name matters some are a lot better than others in how they fit or holdup etc... IMO  ... Sure you can buy a cheap 3/4 one ... but quality and brand does matter.. IMO

Regardless of brand, if you hunt hard enough or often enough they all tear up.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

troutfisher13111

I used to love the Primos Ninja mask with the mouth hole but they are no longer made. Like mentioned above, my latest method is to slide up under the mask so I found one loose enough to do so. I'll run it this season and see how I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Quote from: davisd9 on February 05, 2023, 01:41:25 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on February 05, 2023, 01:32:19 PM

Regardless of brand, if you hunt hard enough or often enough they all tear up.
I will agree, some charge a high price and it still doesn't last ...

bwhana

I have an Under Armour 3/4 mask that has made it 6 yrs and looks new today. The mesh is very soft and flexible too, so it has proven itself worth more than the cheaper options for me.

GregGwaltney

I just cut a "X" hole in the mask large enough to get my lipstop through it as well.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

crow

Quote from: paboxcall on February 05, 2023, 01:15:10 PM

Is this what you started using after the social media cancel culture got on you for your usual burnt cork and black walnut stain mixture

paboxcall

Way I fall down in the woods, by mid morning covered in mud head to toe, mask isn't that critical.

Got about 100 feet from my truck last spring before stepping on a wet branch under the leaves...

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

crow

Quote from: paboxcall on February 05, 2023, 03:04:05 PM
Way I fall down in the woods, by mid morning covered in mud head to toe, mask isn't that critical.

Got about 100 feet from my truck last spring before stepping on a wet branch under the leaves...

:), I slipped into a ditch full of stinking water 2 weeks ago and got soaked trying to cross it.
Had a new longbox a grand total of 1 day  :TooFunny:, but the goretex holster did it's job and the call stayed dry, but if I had face paint on it would of been washed off.

tal

lumberjack

I've went almost exclusively to facepaint and as it turns out, I find 3 important benefits. 1) no problems using a trumpet or tube caller. 2) I feel like my vision is completely unobstructed. 3) no mosquitoes buzzing around inside my face mask when I need to sit still and can't swat!  Yep, you get some weird looks when you stop on the way home for a pop and little Debbie cake but I won't go back!!  Finally, make up removal wipes from the cosmetics isle are worth every penny!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk