turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sitka Turkey Vest

Started by ScottTaulbee, February 03, 2023, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottTaulbee

I have never found a vest that I'm fully satisfied with until the RNG 300. It's not perfect but it checks more boxes than others do for me. I've spoken to Tom007 about the Sitka vest and watched what limited videos are available and it seems like a step up from the RNG to me. Is anyone else using one?. Pros, cons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RLAG

I thought it was pretty nice but the biggest knock I had on it was that the box call pocket came higher up than I thought it should've towards my shoulder. I don't like it when things interfere with my ability to shoulder a shotgun.

That's the only con I have from just trying it on. Haven't field tested one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BBR12

There was a long thread about it last year if you havent read you could search for it. I'm also a huge fan of the RNG 300. I tried on the sitka vest at NWTF last year and it will probably be my next vest unless something else comes along before I need a new one. I'm not the biggest fan of the camo but it seemed well made and had some good features.

Archivist13

I have one and used it for the entire 2022 season (13 hunts). Best vest I've used. Very well designed. Specific pockets for each item which I really liked. I use David Halloran box and slate calls and I read that he helped design the pockets. I believe it because the calls fit perfectly in their spots. It gets pretty warm here in Southern Maryland during the season and it never caused me to get hot like my old Cabela's vest. The material is very strong, and it looks like it did the first day. and I put it through some nasty cover (multiflora rose, blackberry patches, mountain laurel & holly). Maybe the best part is the seat that never falls off and pretty comfortable. If I were to change anything it would be that there is no place to put water bottles unless you put them in the back pocket which isn't comfortable when laying against a tree. I switched to a bladder and that fixed that problem. I know Sitka has a reputation, and it is the only thing I own of theirs, but I would recommend it. I do admit I get a bit self-conscious when I run into somebody else in the woods thinking they are judging me for having a Sitka vest, but I'm getting over that.

aclawrence

That's a pretty solid review. Sitka needs to at least do a version of bottomland so it will blend in with most peoples camo. Then we wouldn't look like rednecks with a Sitka vest lol.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Archivist13 on February 05, 2023, 01:04:24 AM
I have one and used it for the entire 2022 season (13 hunts). Best vest I've used. Very well designed. Specific pockets for each item which I really liked. I use David Halloran box and slate calls and I read that he helped design the pockets. I believe it because the calls fit perfectly in their spots. It gets pretty warm here in Southern Maryland during the season and it never caused me to get hot like my old Cabela's vest. The material is very strong, and it looks like it did the first day. and I put it through some nasty cover (multiflora rose, blackberry patches, mountain laurel & holly). Maybe the best part is the seat that never falls off and pretty comfortable. If I were to change anything it would be that there is no place to put water bottles unless you put them in the back pocket which isn't comfortable when laying against a tree. I switched to a bladder and that fixed that problem. I know Sitka has a reputation, and it is the only thing I own of theirs, but I would recommend it. I do admit I get a bit self-conscious when I run into somebody else in the woods thinking they are judging me for having a Sitka vest, but I'm getting over that.
I know what you mean, my wife bought me a Sitka wading jacket for duck hunting back during Christmas and I feel like a homeless man that was handed the keys to a Ferrari in that thing. I definitely feel out of place haha

davisd9

I plan to get one in Timber. Seems well built and minimalist. A buddy spoke highly of it and I trust his opinion wholeheartedly.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

RiverBuck

I bought one a few months ago and have been using it to coyote hunt. The X24 fits in the back and remote in the box call holder. I like everything about it. First vest that actually fits with no slop. You can make adjustments with the straps for a perfect fit. The seat is comfortable. It's going to be an excellent turkey vest. A true buy once cry once purchase.

Archivist13

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on February 05, 2023, 09:20:20 AM
Quote from: Archivist13 on February 05, 2023, 01:04:24 AM
I know what you mean, my wife bought me a Sitka wading jacket for duck hunting back during Christmas and I feel like a homeless man that was handed the keys to a Ferrari in that thing. I definitely feel out of place haha

Exactly!

ScottTaulbee

Pulled the trigger and put in my order for one yesterday. Thank you to everyone who gave their reviews on it. For some reason you can't seem to find much on them compared to other vests on the market

Tom007

Best of luck with it Scott.......

Dtrkyman

You guys are going to cost me money, I have eyeing them since they came out, may have to grab one before they sell out.

I have a bit of their mountain and waterfowl gear and it is fantastic!

Tom007

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 06, 2023, 04:13:00 PM
You guys are going to cost me money, I have eyeing them since they came out, may have to grab one before they sell out.

I have a bit of their mountain and waterfowl gear and it is fantastic!

Check EBay. I got mine on there new with tags for $186.00 shipped a few months ago in the Waterfowl Timber. They seem to be a Sitka dealer, they sold several vests....good luck....

Archivist13

Hope you like it! Mine is in waterfowl timber and I really like the pattern for ground hunting.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Archivist13 on February 06, 2023, 04:41:09 PM
Hope you like it! Mine is in waterfowl timber and I really like the pattern for ground hunting.
That's the pattern I got, same as the wading jacket. I can't stand the look of any of the other patterns