OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Snake Boots?

Started by Snood Life, January 31, 2023, 08:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snood Life

Looking for snake boot recommendations other than Russell moccasins (just dont want to spend that much).

My Irish setters have finally gave up.

Thanks!

Colton2020

I like the lacrosse snake boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

When my Irish Setters wear out (they're about 6-7 years old and showing no signs of it) I'll get another pair just like 'em.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Snood Life

Quote from: Colton2020 on January 31, 2023, 08:46:10 PM

The rubber or lace up?

Snood Life

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 31, 2023, 08:50:30 PM
When my Irish Setters wear out (they're about 6-7 years old and showing no signs of it) I'll get another pair just like 'em.

Which ones do you have? I don't think they make the ones I have been wearing. I reached out to Irish setter and they said they won't have their new ones out til the fall.

Hwd silvestris

I'm not sure of your hunting conditions but I like snake chaps(gaiters with a lightweight lace up boot.   On the long hot days, the walks back (by road) are much more enjoyable by taking those puppies off.  Both snakeboots and chaps get a lil warm down here in the south.  I've got a few places that are straight swamps with extremely saturated ground and I like my lacrosse rubber snake boots for those places. 
Just a thought. 

Colton2020

Quote from: Snood Life on January 31, 2023, 08:51:00 PM
Quote from: Colton2020 on January 31, 2023, 08:46:10 PM

The rubber or lace up?
Rubber

northms

Salomon mid goretex hikers with Dan Hunting Gear snake gaiters. Much easier to walk in than knee boots or "snake" boots.

Snood Life

Quote from: Hwd silvestris on January 31, 2023, 09:04:03 PM
I'm not sure of your hunting conditions but I like snake chaps(gaiters with a lightweight lace up boot.   On the long hot days, the walks back (by road) are much more enjoyable by taking those puppies off.  Both snakeboots and chaps get a lil warm down here in the south.  I've got a few places that are straight swamps with extremely saturated ground and I like my lacrosse rubber snake boots for those places. 
Just a thought. 

I am in Alabama, so it definitely gets hot. I had considered turtle skin gators, but I didn't know if there was concerned about your toe area of your normal boot since it would be unprotected.

Hwd silvestris

Me personally have not had much concern for that.  I had the older version of the danner pronghorn in a regular boot and the snake boot in same pronghorn version and there wasn't a nickel worth of difference in the lower portion. I absolutely hated the snake boot version. The ankle area was all weird and stuff not to mention how hot they were. 
I've also had those turtle skin snake chap and didn't care for those as they were too soft and seemed to fall down and bunch up below the calf.  In my opinion they needed to be stiffer.
I like the scent blocker snake gaiter in real tree camo. They offer two different types as one is plastic covered in a vinyl material and a softer material. They hard ones are a No go! Look for the softer ones.  I have them both.  They have a stirrup so they don't ride up. 
I'm in the timber business and have pretty well tried them all. 
Best of luck to you!

Snood Life

Quote from: Hwd silvestris on January 31, 2023, 10:02:40 PM
Me personally have not had much concern for that.  I had the older version of the danner pronghorn in a regular boot and the snake boot in same pronghorn version and there wasn't a nickel worth of difference in the lower portion. I absolutely hated the snake boot version. The ankle area was all weird and stuff not to mention how hot they were. 
I've also had those turtle skin snake chap and didn't care for those as they were too soft and seemed to fall down and bunch up below the calf.  In my opinion they needed to be stiffer.
I like the scent blocker snake gaiter in real tree camo. They offer two different types as one is plastic covered in a vinyl material and a softer material. They hard ones are a No go! Look for the softer ones.  I have them both.  They have a stirrup so they don't ride up. 
I'm in the timber business and have pretty well tried them all. 
Best of luck to you!

Thank you!

BBR12

Turtle skins and a pair of all leather boots for me. I like being able to zip them off when I  don't need them. They are also not near as hot as snake boots. I do modify my turtle skins a little so that they fit me better. If you go the turtle skin route I hate the elastic at the bottom so I took a sharp razor and on the inside made a 1/4" slit and pulled the elastic up where I could cut it. This lets them sit down on my boots better and not ride up.

Muzzy61

The rubber lacrosse snake boots when it's wet ( most of the time) or Red Head snake boots from Bass Pro for me.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Duckdogdad

I have had them all...now wear lacrosse alpha agility rubber boat with turtle skin snake gaiters. Lighter, waterproof and gaiters don't have to be replaced.