OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Technology

Started by Neill_Prater, January 30, 2023, 04:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CALLM2U

I started in the 80s and didn't even have camo.  Just a single barrel 20g w/a fixed modified choke and 2 3/4 shells.  Didn't seem to have problems killing them at all.

I have no problem with technology though.  The technology of my snake proof boots lets me come home to my girls and wife, my OnX keeps me from spending nights in the woods unexpectedly, my clothing keeps me from getting too hot/sweaty and then sick, my red dot and TSS decreases my chances of accidently wounding a bird.  Yes, I'm perfectly ok with technology. 

Spitten and drummen

So true. Killed my first bird in 1979 and the only call I had was a piece of river cane. A year later I was fancy with a pill bottle I cut and had a condom stretched over it. Really got fancy in 1982 with a lynch fool proof box call. My shotgun was a mossberg 20 gauge pump shooting #4 nitro mags out of a modified choke. Wow how times have changed.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

dah

Bought my first call in 1976 . It took many , many , many years to carry a bird out . No mentor , no magazine articles , no internet . hardly any birds in my woods .Wearing what we called old army cammo from surplus stores , one box call and a duck load . The first bird that gobbled at me , I thought the neighbors had one in a pen ( no one even lived next door ). Now I realize he was hung up and I was over calling . I still hear him to this day .
Incredible , I pulled my first  bird off his hens , something only done maybe a few times since .
Now I have a decoy , calls and more calls , GPS , internet , modern cammo and turkey loads . I taught my son , you can depend on your legs and the gun to fire , dont get caught up in all that other noise , dont know how much he has lived by that , he can out hunt me and travels light , but it has served me well . Note , I still love the game , even the way it is played today .

deathfoot

Good reading here.

I started in 1992 with a push button call. Worked my way up to the HS Strut double slate over glass (fyi, I bought up a bunch of the carbon strickers for them and use them to this day). Then..I got brave..bought the Lynch's Fool Proof box and learned how to use that. It was on from there.

In 2004 I made my first trip to the black hills, with a big ole map and an old Garmin GPS so I wouldn't get lost out there. Found an area I liked and killed a bird in 2 days. Went back in 2007 with same map and was furious when some dude drove right by me with my decoys set up, stopped beside the tree the turkey was roosted in and called twice then left. I say that because the map I had didn't show that road went to another road for access.

Times have changed. To be honest...I'd love it if the "fad" came to an end and us die hards are the only ones chasing them again. Let them have all the deer they want. I just want my turkey hunts like they were in the 90's and early 2000's.

Cowboy

Quote from: Tom007 on January 30, 2023, 05:35:41 PM
I'm not gonna lie, I miss my Army Tiger Stripe camo, Herman Survivor Work boots, Remington 1100 with factory full, Number 4 Remington Duck/Pheasant loads with 1 1/2 oz of lead, and my Old Lynch Box. This was what I used day one. I have moved on with technology, but I'll never forget these days. And oh yea, plenty of willing gobblers.......
Tom, I still use a Remington 1100 with factory full. Every season. 

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

Well not that some of this was not "available" at the time, I've been turkey hunting for the past 30years and from where I started to where I am sure has changed. Never even knew another turkey hunter when I started, bird had been reintroduced in the state and numbers were growing. I use what works for me and where I hunt, have traveled a bit for some Rio's and Meriam's, kill a bunch of Eastern's and have the Osceola's on the list.

Biggest thing to me has always been getting others into turkey hunting, have taken so many newbies, youth, friends, family, charity hunts, learn to hunts and more over the years it's been awesome to do!

I can still go out with my Cody Slate, a mouth call and a gun and kill them the same as I did 30 years ago, but there is a lot of fun in what I do now too!

MK M GOBL

Yoder409

I've run much of the technology gamut.

I started hunting turkeys 6 or 7 years before the Realtree or Mossy Oak companies existed.  I did have an Army-type woodland camo for my first hunt.  Used a home made tube call and carried a Winchester 1200 with a full Win-choke tube (pretty high tech for the day) and shooting Federal 2 3/4" magnum #2 shot.

At that time............and I got into them soon thereafter.........the only calls you could buy in my area were Smith's of Summerville, PA.  Quaker Boy was founded a couple years later.  I never heard of Lynch til the mid 80's.

Since then........... I've covered the scale in dedicated turkey guns.  Bought the new camo's.  Tried an array of old and new calls.  Most all of it.  What I have hunkered down on is that I can embrace technology to make me a safer and more ethical hunter.  But I can't/won't (personally) use it to intentionally extend my lethal range.  Only to maximize my efficiency within the boundaries I set for myself 2 or 3 decades ago.

I carry a rangefinder........so I don't underestimate the yardage of a shot.   I carry a cell phone and at times a GPS in case I would get in a predicament needing help.  I use a SumToy tube, HTL shot and a red dot to be as humane to the bird as possible.  But at the end of it all, I still set up on EVERY bird for a 40 yard shot or less.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Bowguy

Quote from: CALLM2U on January 30, 2023, 07:34:16 PM
I started in the 80s and didn't even have camo.  Just a single barrel 20g w/a fixed modified choke and 2 3/4 shells.  Didn't seem to have problems killing them at all.

I have no problem with technology though.  The technology of my snake proof boots lets me come home to my girls and wife, my OnX keeps me from spending nights in the woods unexpectedly, my clothing keeps me from getting too hot/sweaty and then sick, my red dot and TSS decreases my chances of accidently wounding a bird.  Yes, I'm perfectly ok with technology.

Brother, if I could I need to address something. To be clear tss does not decrease any chance of wounding. Staying within effective range of equipment does. I'll give you the sights. We don't know who's reading and things need to remain clear. If a man has young children, or anyone else and can only afford lead, plenty of turkeys still die. I've never shot tss, nor have any of my mentees. Lots of dead/unwounded birds on reasonable priced shells when used correctly and there's no trick to using them correctly. Learning to read a compass, something you hopefully know can give you more peace of mind than onX and should as electronics fail. Even if you use onX carry the compass

Turkeybutt

I have to agree with everything Mr. Prater had to say.
I remember back in the day there wasn't anything out on the market you could buy or a store locally that had much of anything related to turkey hunting. If you remember in most states, the Blue Laws were enforced, and nothing was open on Sunday.
Thinking back my first call was a slate call made from a Maxwell House coffee jar lid and an old piece of slate off the barn roof that I sanded down to suit my ear and fit in the lid. Then move into a camera film bottle with a condom or some rubber we got from a friends dad who was a dentist stretched over it. They were simple but back in the day that's what we had.
I believe the frame of my first mouth call was made of lead!  Maybe one of the older guys here can refresh my memory. Were they made out of lead?
If you knew somebody that hunted turkeys, you were lucky because they might be able to give you some tips.  Now not that they know any more then you did as they themselves learned by trial and error. I think back in the day a lot of us cut our teeth listening to a Roger Latham or a Ben Lee record (made in 33 1/3 or 45 RPM) on  How To Call Turkeys.
My first " Turkey Gun" was a Marlin Model 55 Goose Gun - 12 gauge with a 36" barrel which I believe I got in the early 70's'. If slung over my shoulder while walking in the woods in the dark it hit every low hanging limb alerting every animal, turkey and hunter that I was on the move!
We have come a long way; I know I have!

Turkeytaker203

Wow, Turkeybutt, my first gobbler was killed with the same gun, a Marlin 55 Goose gun. You nailed it about the barrel, dang thing was indeed 36" and was like carry a flag pole through the woods. My dad loaned it to me and was very proud of it. I'm glad to say I killed my first with his "cannon" as he called it.
As far as technology, I absolutely hate owning a cell phone. My family made me get one for my safety and they have MyFind on it so they can see where I am. Not that I go places I shouldn't but I don't like it. I spend alot of time on our hunting lands alone and maybe someday it will indeed help me out of a jam, we'll see. I know how to turn MyFind off but then they get all pissy about it when I get home. Yea I'm an old guy bitching about things changing but I always liked my privacy when I out in the woods. My son-in-law wants me to install one of the hunting apps, he uses OnX, but I don't feel I need that. I know my hunting lands so well after all these years. I know there are some great features on those apps but that not my way of doing things. Old guy syndrome again!
Other than my dang cell phone I like all the hunting gear advancements that we have now. I am a big fan of red dot sights, and the latest turkey gun tech. My biggest problem with the new guns is I want too many of them. I have six dedicated turkey guns now and have my eye on three others that have come out. I can't bring myself to sell any of my turkey guns to buy another and Momma doesn't understand why the last gun I bought won't kill a turkey now, or the one before that, or the one before that...

CALLM2U

Quote from: Bowguy on January 30, 2023, 11:51:15 PM
Quote from: CALLM2U on January 30, 2023, 07:34:16 PM

Brother, if I could I need to address something. To be clear tss does not decrease any chance of wounding. Staying within effective range of equipment does. I'll give you the sights. We don't know who's reading and things need to remain clear. If a man has young children, or anyone else and can only afford lead, plenty of turkeys still die. I've never shot tss, nor have any of my mentees. Lots of dead/unwounded birds on reasonable priced shells when used correctly and there's no trick to using them correctly. Learning to read a compass, something you hopefully know can give you more peace of mind than onX and should as electronics fail. Even if you use onX carry the compass

I appreciate your response, but I completely disagree.  TSS absolutely decreases the chances of wounding birds.  With lead (and I've killed a bunch with lead) 100 pellets at 40 was/is considered acceptable.  Misjudge a distance, catch a limb with half the load, pull a shot ect and you're left with much less shot downrange and/or on target.  TSS more than doubles the number of pellets (in most cases) Those extra pellets absolutely decrease the chance of wounding birds. 

This has nothing to do with shooting birds past 40 yards or "effective range of equipment"

Additionally, I didn't say TSS was required.  Just as snake boots, vests, turkey chokes, GPS aren't required.  But I'm glad that technology has advanced to give us those items to hunt more safely. There's no need to twist my words.   

WV Flopper

TSS and Lead poising???

TSS is far beyond Lead in ethical shooting. Couple more years you'll see, because if you follow the law you will be shooting it. And this has nothing to do with distance, just the lead itself.

runngun

This post really makes me think about Hevishot/TSS penetration. I know how deadly both are. I believe that we have seen turkeys that survived an encounter with lead. But with hevishot, when it first came out I saw a Longbeard that had been wounded. I hunted him the very next morning and I killed him. One of his legs was broken and you could definitely see where a pellet did the damage.  I actually watched this turkey hop for 250 yards on one leg, THEN a hen squatted down in a dusting bowl and he bred her, I shot him off of the TOP of her. This joker had HEART!!!! In my experience I have not seen any wounded with TSS Though. I just don't know if or how long they will survive after being hit with it. Again penetration!!! This is a awesome conversation y'all. 

Have a good one, Bo,  May God bless

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Turkeyman

I started in 1976 and, as many of you, had to learn as I went. There were no "old timers" around and if you did find one his lips were sealed. Very few calls available and those that were only sounded similar to a turkey...not like those we have these days. Like the Jet slate and the Ben Lee lead frame diaphragms. Probably the best was the Lynch box. Regarding camo, I still wear BDU jackets mainly because I like the cut of the cloth, not necessarily the camo pattern...turkeys don't care.

3bailey3

I am going to try my forward facing sonar out this season..