turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Technology

Started by Neill_Prater, January 30, 2023, 04:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neill_Prater

I was inspired to write this after reading the thread about the UV controversy.

I started turkey hunting right at the start of what I think could be termed the "modern" era, 1977. Turkey, after being virtually eradicated in many areas of the country, had been reintroduced by trap and release programs, and the success of those efforts allowed the opening of hunting season in many areas, including my home county at the time, here in Missouri.

Veteran turkey hunters were few and far between, and in many areas of the country, nonexistent. There was no such thing as turkey loads, turkey chokes, or shotguns specifically designed for the task. In many places, including southwest Missouri, call selection at a retail level was limited or totally nonexistent, as was information as to how to chase the silly things. Not only were there no forums or YouTube, Al Gore hadn't even invented the internet yet.

If you wanted to hunt in another state, or even a region of your own state you were unfamiliar with, you used something called a map, and it was not on the dashboard of your truck or your telephone, which was attached to the wall back at home.

The average newby might have had access to a couple of calls, and in many cases, wasn't all that adept at using them. If you shot at a turkey, you probably did so with a shotgun designed for upland game or waterfowl, or maybe just killing the occasional varmint, and used whatever high brass shell, lead shot only, you could find at the local store. Sights were predominantly a single bead, high tech was an additional bead mid-barrel.

Camo for the masses was not always easy to find, and for many, consisted of military surplus. Where those hunters existed, the previous generation often hunted with no cam at all. Decoys, for the most part, looked about as much like a turkey as our dog.

And yet, people killed turkeys. I'm all for technology. I shoot TSS in my 20 gauge equipped with a Holosun reflex sight. I love my smartphone and would hate to do without Google maps. But, for those of you who started turkey hunting in the 21st century, it is easy to forget that none of that stuff is necessary to actually kill one.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Quote from: Neill_Prater on January 30, 2023, 04:07:43 PM
I was inspired to write this after reading the thread about the UV controversy.

I started turkey hunting right at the start of what I think could be termed the "modern" era, 1977. Turkey, after being virtually eradicated in many areas of the country, had been reintroduced by trap and release programs, and the success of those efforts allowed the opening of hunting season in many areas, including my home county at the time, here in Missouri.

Veteran turkey hunters were few and far between, and in many areas of the country, nonexistent. There was no such thing as turkey loads, turkey chokes, or shotguns specifically designed for the task. In many places, including southwest Missouri, call selection at a retail level was limited or totally nonexistent, as was information as to how to chase the silly things. Not only were there no forums or YouTube, Al Gore hadn't even invented the internet yet.

If you wanted to hunt in another state, or even a region of your own state you were unfamiliar with, you used something called a map, and it was not on the dashboard of your truck or your telephone, which was attached to the wall back at home.

The average newby might have had access to a couple of calls, and in many cases, wasn't all that adept at using them. If you shot at a turkey, you probably did so with a shotgun designed for upland game or waterfowl, or maybe just killing the occasional varmint, and used whatever high brass shell, lead shot only, you could find at the local store. Sights were predominantly a single bead, high tech was an additional bead mid-barrel.

Camo for the masses was not always easy to find, and for many, consisted of military surplus. Where those hunters existed, the previous generation often hunted with no cam at all. Decoys, for the most part, looked about as much like a turkey as our dog.

And yet, people killed turkeys. I'm all for technology. I shoot TSS in my 20 gauge equipped with a Holosun reflex sight. I love my smartphone and would hate to do without Google maps. But, for those of you who started turkey hunting in the 21st century, it is easy to forget that none of that stuff is necessary to actually kill one.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
Agree and most of our calls were homemade ..

Old Timer

I would say I started in the 80`s. I would read books and articles and stop at diners hoping to meet someone who would enlighten me on the sport of turkey hunting. At that time there were very few turkey hunters in my area and I got fortunate to meet a couple sportsmen that shared their passion with me.
My camo consisted of hand me downs and there was a commercial laundry I would go to and purchase used brown work pants for 3-5 buck a pair. My 1st vest I spent if I can recall correctly was about 30 bucks and was tree bark pattern. That was a big purchase for me. I still have that vest. I killed a few birds with that generic set up. `oh those were simple days!

bbcoach

for those of you who started turkey hunting in the 21st century, it is easy to forget that none of that stuff is necessary to actually kill one.

SPOT ON!!!! 

Tail Feathers

I had some incredible turkey hunts in my early years of the sport using one or two mouth calls, a pot call and a Lynch Fool Proof call.  I had some foam fold-up decoys but rarely used them.  I still travel fairly light outside caving to the comfort of a gobbler lounger.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

tal

I thought he was talking about me until I saw he was from Missouri. 99% of what was said still describes me.  :)

Gooserbat

Neil, you make it sound so easy. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Tom007

I'm not gonna lie, I miss my Army Tiger Stripe camo, Herman Survivor Work boots, Remington 1100 with factory full, Number 4 Remington Duck/Pheasant loads with 1 1/2 oz of lead, and my Old Lynch Box. This was what I used day one. I have moved on with technology, but I'll never forget these days. And oh yea, plenty of willing gobblers.......
"Solo hunter"

Bowguy

Those were the good old days bud. Besides technology diluting our sport, tv is as well. Years ago when you harvested something you were proud. Now the second it hits the ground excuses start about why it's not bigger. That's disrespecting the game imo.
The,  only, I wanna say "good" thing is the sharing of info. There are plenty here lived through the others won't tell you anything phase to be very generous with info. Some don't seem to appreciate their personal success is often tips, tricks, techniques offered by others. Many have no idea how hard it really was but it was a fun time. I wish we were still there!

guesswho

I started in 1965 with my parents.   And couldn't even spell techniligy, let alone know what it meant.   Now, I like my technology, but am not real dependent on it when it comes to putting a gobblers head inside a 10" circle.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

runngun

And a lot of the older folks lived by the "code". That being " LOOSE LIPS, SINKS SHIPS".......
I hear it bubbling!!!!

Have a good one and May God bless y'all
Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Wigsplitter

Amen and amen - I'm constantly amazed at what we think we have to have to kill a gobbler!!

Gooserbat

Quote from: runngun on January 30, 2023, 05:57:52 PM
And a lot of the older folks lived by the "code". That being " LOOSE LIPS, SINKS SHIPS".......
I hear it bubbling!!!!

Have a good one and May God bless y'all
Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Exactly
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

richard black

Started out with woodland bdu camo, a push pin and box call, and didn't know anything about turkey hunting. Those were the early 80's, but still managed to kill gobblers. Didn't like technology then and still  don't like it now. But I still like bdu camo, push pins and box calls. What more does a guy need?

WV Flopper

A model T Ford will get you where you need to go. Who still drives one today, daily, to get to where you need to go or want to go?

The commercialization of the hunting sports are not all good!

I could if inspired, kill a turkey with a sling shot but am sure I would buy a bunch of turkey at the grocery until I did. And, I would have some good flage on, that faded stuff won't cut it on the turkeys I hunt in WV. These turkeys are hunted starting in March, four weeks before I get there. Back in the 60-90's just like stated, turkeys weren't hunted real hard, not like today.

First spring turkey I killed was in spring of 88, I think, could have been 89. Longer ago than a few of the people here are old.