OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkeys and UV

Started by Cowboy, January 29, 2023, 06:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

I would bet that some do and some don't. I personally have killed turkeys while wearing  treated clothes and also with non-treated clothes. I usually treat mine just in case, but I ain't gonna lose sleep or stay home if they aren't. It's kinda like scent control for deer. I personally do nothing more than occasionally wash my hunting clothes with baking soda and play the wind. I feel that if the wind is wrong, then they are gonna smell you no matter what. But I ain't gonna knock the guy that obsesses over every little thing trying to eliminate it. If it gives them confidence, then so be it.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

2eagles

Yup on the eyes thing. Animals know eyes. I squint my eyes mostly looking through my eyelashes, just open enough to see my target. Turkeys and deer. It works.

shaman

I went 'round with Atsko back in 2008.  Here's a link to the conversation.

https://genesis9.angzva.com/?cat=11

It's in reverse order.  Start at the oldest and work to the newest, and you'll get a better picture.

It took me a while to finally get my mind around the con job.   I don't feel bad.  I have a buddy  who is a PHD in Chemistry and I had to explain it long and slow to him as well.

Look, if spraying the stuff on your clothes makes you feel invisible, go for it. 

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Bowguy

Quote from: Happy on January 30, 2023, 07:46:43 AM
I would bet that some do and some don't. I personally have killed turkeys while wearing  treated clothes and also with non-treated clothes. I usually treat mine just in case, but I ain't gonna lose sleep or stay home if they aren't. It's kinda like scent control for deer. I personally do nothing more than occasionally wash my hunting clothes with baking soda and play the wind. I feel that if the wind is wrong, then they are gonna smell you no matter what. But I ain't gonna knock the guy that obsesses over every little thing trying to eliminate it. If it gives them confidence, then so be it.

I do nothing but agree. It couldn't actually hurt to clarify

G-dub

"To each his own, I guess it could never hurt to do more but imagine being scent free turkey hunting. It's doing more but is it helping? Not really right"

Don't get OG started on how well turkeys can smell... :popcorn:

Happy

We all laugh, but if you think about it, how many times have you been winded by deer that started snorting and carrying on when you were working a turkey? Would being more scent free have helped? Once again, I don't worry about that, but I could see a legitimate argument for scent free turkey hunting. Besides, I have a cool bottle of turkey scent that has been the cornerstone for my success. Nothing like a good scent drag to bring them right by my spot.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

PalmettoRon

I have hunted a lot over the past 40 years. I lived in AL when the limit was 6 and SC when it was 3, plus travel to several states on DIY hunts. I have killed a lot of gobblers over that time frame as again, I hunt a lot.

I have never even considered UV light and apparently a lot of gobblers didn't place much stock in it either.

I had the pleasure to hunt with Dwain Bland a couple of times many years ago. The only camo I remember him wearing was a face mask. However, the man taught me way back then the importance of not moving unless you need to make a move. Sometimes inexperienced hunters are afraid to make an adjustment.

He also was heavy on natural cover and natural blinds at times.

UV may be a deal, but I would focus on staying out of the sunlight, minimizing movement unless you need to move and patience. That will be far more productive than any possible advantage from using UV products.

BTW, wore First-Lite camo some last Spring and this Fall. The birds didn't mind whatever UV problem someone mentioned.

Save your money and buy another call you don't need like a lot of us on this Forum. Haha.

Bowguy

:OGturkeyhead:
Quote from: Happy on January 30, 2023, 08:32:23 AM
We all laugh, but if you think about it, how many times have you been winded by deer that started snorting and carrying on when you were working a turkey? Would being more scent free have helped? Once again, I don't worry about that, but I could see a legitimate argument for scent free turkey hunting. Besides, I have a cool bottle of turkey scent that has been the cornerstone for my success. Nothing like a good scent drag to bring them right by my spot.

Good reason to set up right close to the roost. Less to go wrong right but you're absolutely correct about the deer, it does happen. Something I'd thought of but didn't include as I was focused on the turkey itself. Now being super stinky and using the wind correctly you could play the odds deer might not come to ya? . So many ideas. Fellas/new folks it's only my opinion but take everyone's advice. Keep your mind open and see what works for you. Great thing about this forum, lots of ideas. Now if anyone needs an acorn scratcher thing for deer hunting or turkey squealer pm me! I've also got carrot scent for rabbit hunting. Just having fun fellas

Bowguy

Palmettoron I've called birds in twice wearing a red flannel and red wool rich coat to prove to a buddy sitting still was the key. Camo certainly won't hurt but I believe that too is overrated at times

PalmettoRon

I do wear camo as I do believe it helps, but totally agree it is not truly necessary as Dwain Bland wore work clothes except for a camo mask and that man was a killing machine. 100% agree that limiting movement, even tiny movements is key along with staying out of the sun.

You however must have some enlightened hunters in your area. I would not wear anything red in the turkey woods in SC even on private land as I've had poachers stalk me twice the last 2-3 years.
Quote from: Bowguy on January 30, 2023, 08:52:31 AM
Palmettoron I've called birds in twice wearing a red flannel and red wool rich coat to prove to a buddy sitting still was the key. Camo certainly won't hurt but I believe that too is overrated at times

Bowguy

Quote from: PalmettoRon on January 30, 2023, 09:01:05 AM
I do wear camo as I do believe it helps, but totally agree it is not truly necessary as Dwain Bland wore work clothes except for a camo mask and that man was a killing machine. 100% agree that limiting movement, even tiny movements is key along with staying out of the sun.

You however must have some enlightened hunters in your area. I would not wear anything red in the turkey woods in SC even on private land as I've had poachers stalk me twice the last 2-3 years.
Quote from: Bowguy on January 30, 2023, 08:52:31 AM

I was private property both times, in the fall when you could see anyone sneaking in

Will

I think the UV light issues evolves around deer or animals that can see both day and night. If turkeys were affected by UV then they would roam at night. I'm no expert by any means but their eyes are different based on their living habits. Animals that can see at night or in low light conditions have a different make up and contain a special part in their eye that helps with night vision. I've walked under turkeys roosted at night and the flashlight doesn't reflect the eyes like a deer, possum or Coon etc.

The attached pictures are of 2 different hunters on the same stand. Trail camera takes a picture (non flash) infrared and you can clearly pick out the Hunter in the stand. The pictures were taken in the evening at dusk. Certainly had me wondering and with todays clothing dyes it has me wondering even more.

This is a good conversation and opinions will vary but the pictures are something to consider. Please, if anyone has an idea as to why the hunters stick out please let me know. I'm all ears!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fmf

I don't know what they can see and what they can't, I do know that I went down the rabbit hole of uv treating all my clothes and checking them with a uv light.   I found that if the fabric was real bad to start with, that uv killer treatment did absolutely nothing.  It 'seemed' to help on fabrics that didn't glow much to begin with.  Having said that, on a whim I took my light into the woods at night and you would be surprised how much natural stuff glows out there.  I don't treat anything now, but I do wash with dye free wash because it can't hurt.

Neill_Prater

Don't overthink it. Wear camo that breaks up your profile, what camo was created for, and limit movement. The woods are full of things that move, are colorful and even glitter.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

The only thing I have done is wash my camo with baking soda mostly for deer hunting with a bow ... but pretty much after that, i don't do anything to my hunting clothing for turkey hunting. It would be interesting to hear from people who hog hunt at night if they UV treat their clothing etc... or Predator hunt at night ...