OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 gauge 870 fieldmaster question

Started by WW, January 29, 2023, 01:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WW

I bought a new fieldmaster and have patterned it with the 562 and 570 sumtoy chokes. The gun is shooting 10-12 inches low at 40 yards. It's good at 20 yards... I want to keep the factory bead on my gun so an optic or aftermarket sight is a no go. What can I do to bring the pattern up? I really hate to sell the gun but I hate a gun that doesn't shoot straight.

owlhoot

Are you using the bead to aim? Or point and shoot?
Barrel nut good and tight?

WW

Quote from: owlhoot on January 29, 2023, 03:14:03 PM
Are you using the bead to aim? Or point and shoot?
Barrel nut good and tight?

I use the bead to aim. The nut is tight.

skimerhorn

I'm not sure if they male them for a 870 but a shim between the butt stock and receiver would help

b wilt

Matt76cmich

Quote from: WW on January 29, 2023, 01:25:38 PM
I bought a new fieldmaster and have patterned it with the 562 and 570 sumtoy chokes. The gun is shooting 10-12 inches low at 40 yards. It's good at 20 yards... I want to keep the factory bead on my gun so an optic or aftermarket sight is a no go. What can I do to bring the pattern up? I really hate to sell the gun but I hate a gun that doesn't shoot straight.

My 870 Fieldmaster came drilled and tapped and I put a FF3 on a Sumtoy mount on it with the factory bead in place. Also used a Meadow Creek rib mount with the factory bead in place.  I guess I'm not sure why you would have to remove the factory bead with an optic or aftermarket option. Am I missing something (honest question)?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

WW

Quote from: Matt76cmich on January 29, 2023, 06:23:42 PM

My 870 Fieldmaster came drilled and tapped and I put a FF3 on a Sumtoy mount on it with the factory bead in place. Also used a Meadow Creek rib mount with the factory bead in place.  I guess I'm not sure why you would have to remove the factory bead with an optic or aftermarket option. I'm I missing something (honest question)?

I meant that I want to use my bead and no optics. I've always liked the bead on my turkey guns and don't want to change now. The shim would be a good option but I'm not sure they make a shim for the 870?

owlhoot

Quote from: WW on January 29, 2023, 08:23:05 PM

My 870 Fieldmaster came drilled and tapped and I put a FF3 on a Sumtoy mount on it with the factory bead in place. Also used a Meadow Creek rib mount with the factory bead in place.  I guess I'm not sure why you would have to remove the factory bead with an optic or aftermarket option. I'm I missing something (honest question)?

I meant that I want to use my bead and no optics. I've always liked the bead on my turkey guns and don't want to change now. The shim would be a good option but I'm not sure they make a shim for the 870?
Wouldn't think that a guy could get enough correction that way. Another puzzling thing is good at 20 and that low at 40.

Matt76cmich

Quote from: WW on January 29, 2023, 08:23:05 PM

Gotcha

Glades

Shimming only changes the way the stock fits on your face and is not gonna help you, since it is a turkey gun, not a bird/clay gun. You aim a turkey gun/rifle, you point a bird/clay gun.

Here are some options if you don't want to add optics:
1) Add iron sights with vertical adjustment. Truglo Gobbledot and Williams Firesights have this feature.
2) Drill and tap a midbead on your rib. Then stack the front bead on top of your midbead on your sight picture, and that should raise your POI.

WW

Quote from: Glades on January 30, 2023, 10:46:14 AM
Shimming only changes the way the stock fits on your face and is not gonna help you, since it is a turkey gun, not a bird/clay gun. You aim a turkey gun/rifle, you point a bird/clay gun.

Here are some options if you don't want to add optics:
1) Add iron sights with vertical adjustment. Truglo Gobbledot and Williams Firesights have this feature.
2) Drill and tap a midbead on your rib. Then stack the front bead on top of your midbead on your sight picture, and that should raise your POI.

Thanks!  The puzzling thing is, the gun is perfect at 20 yards but 10 inches low at 40. Why is this?

PV266

Low velocity ammo!  ;D All kidding aside, you could put an adjustable recoil pad on the gun, such as those used for clay games.  I believe Graco makes them.  Or, find a Monte Carlo stock and sand it down to the point that you impact gets where you want it; or install an adjustable riser.  None are are cheap options unfortunately. 
[/quote]

Thanks!  The puzzling thing is, the gun is perfect at 20 yards but 10 inches low at 40. Why is this?
[/quote]

TrackeySauresRex

Is there a mid mount bead on the Fieldmaster?
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

WW

owlhoot