News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Collectors vs Hunters

Started by ChesterCopperpot, January 28, 2023, 09:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowboy

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 28, 2023, 10:59:32 PM
The reason i do both is for my enjoyment with preserving history and sharing information with others who have the same passion. Without this passion I'm sure i wouldn't have gotten to meet a lot of people who have the same interest in acquiring the different style of calls and hunting these calls. I'm sure i wouldn't have had the opportunity to meet and become friends with some of the best call builders in the business that I call my friends. If YOU can't understand this passion of acquiring calls I suggest you make at least one trip to Unicoi Call Builders Show and take the time to see and meet some of the best call builders and others who share the same interest. Then i think you will have a better understanding between WHO you call a collector or a HUNTER. I enjoy sharing knowledge and gaining knowledge with others who enjoy both collecting and sharing memories and history of turkey calls and with them using that special call to kill a gobbler. In my opinion you never get too old to learn. I tell people every call starts out with a story from the time the first tree and board is cut and a call is finished and delivered from a call builder. So hunter / collector i really don't care what you call me. All i know is I BUY my calls for my enjoyment. Always remember if you don't have a call from a builder you don't have the opportunity to play that call regardless of the design. I enjoy playing my calls and improving on my rhythm. It's the excitement of enjoying your passion with hunting turkeys.
Good quote here Greg. On the money with this. I agree.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

jhoward11

I collect change in a jar at home and only use the bills. It's your life, do what you want. I have no trouble you doing both. Why people seem to think it's their way or the highway, I'll never understand.

PalmettoRon

I'm not really a collector but have acquired over the years a lot of calls mainly because I admired the sound and the callmaker's craftmanship. I've hunted virtually all of them, including some that I paid a lot for, simply because I wanted to do so. They're all in a closet or my vest, but big deal if they were in a platinum plated case with lights shining on them. That's not how I roll, but if another dude is into that, so what?

I could care less if a person has a million calls and never hunts them or has one and has worn it out.

I think in this area as in a lot of life, you do you and I'll do me should be the approach. Why should it concern me what someone else does?

To be honest, even if the call is never used, I would strongly suggest looking for a better investment strategy than collecting turkey calls.

GobbleNut

Quote from: PalmettoRon on February 10, 2023, 08:55:04 AM
I'm not really a collector but have acquired over the years a lot of calls mainly because I admired the sound and the callmaker's craftmanship. I've hunted virtually all of them, including some that I paid a lot for, simply because I wanted to do so. They're all in a closet or my vest, but big deal if they were in a platinum plated case with lights shining on them. That's not how I roll, but if another dude is into that, so what?
I could care less if a person has a million calls and never hunts them or has one and has worn it out.
I think in this area as in a lot of life, you do you and I'll do me should be the approach. Why should it concern me what someone else does?
To be honest, even if the call is never used, I would strongly suggest looking for a better investment strategy than collecting turkey calls.

After reading through the responses to this topic, this pretty much sums up my position on the whole debate, if you want to call it that. 
To everybody (regarding your turkey calls):  Do Your Thang!  If it ain't the same as mine, so be it!
The one thing I do know,... there is no gobbler out there that is basing whether or not he is gonna come to you on the number of turkey calls you got at home...   ;D :icon_thumright: :angel9:

turkeyfool

I have a ton of calls. But I don't hunt any of them. It's not because i'm collecting them. It's because I haven't found a box yet better than Scott Witter's and I haven't found a pot yet that I like more than my Al Holbert aluminum

Old Timer

I got this deal figured out a long time ago. I can collect very easily. Did it with handguns.  Pulled them out, felt them wiped them down and put them away. One day I said maybe someone else can enjoy some of these. Figured out I`m not a collector I`m a user. Had a good friend that passed away and all his prized firearms willed to his elder son. Who does not have the least bit of interest in them. I thought about this some and I remember the times my friend would show me and let me handle, shoot and enjoy them. The look on his face was second to none. He really enjoyed that. God bless him and he did. Everyone is different. Like Gobblernut said. Do your thing! Good day.

Zobo

Quote from: turkeyfool on February 10, 2023, 10:27:07 AM
I have a ton of calls. But I don't hunt any of them. It's not because i'm collecting them. It's because I haven't found a box yet better than Scott Witter's and I haven't found a pot yet that I like more than my Al Holbert aluminum

I understand this, no doubt Scott Witter's box is among the best!!!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Meleagris gallopavo

I have several calls and have the intention of getting more.  Since I hunt a lot I get to rotate them out and use most of them every year.  I love wood and the way a nice piece of wood looks when turned.  Thus, I don't own box calls or other types that don't require turning, except diaphragm calls because I simply like using them.  I have yet to sell a call, good or bad.  Just can't turn one loose.  I collect calls and try to hunt with as many of them as possible each year.  I like looking at and appreciating other hunters calls.  Call making is fascinating to me, but I don't make calls.  It's each person's own business so far as how they view turkey calls, it damned sure ain't my business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Howieg

I'm a turkey hunter that also has a pretty cool vintage turkey call collection.
Label as you wish ????

Yoder409

Quote from: Howieg on February 11, 2023, 04:35:06 PM
Label as you wish ????

Labeled as "cool" !!

The vintage calls........even the ones that AREN'T the high-dollar collectibles like a Turpin or a Gibson are just, plain COOL.

Lynch
Ashby
Herter's
Smith
Lee
Gray

The list is longer.  But the calls that paint the historic picture of our beloved sport........  PRICELESS.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Howieg

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 11, 2023, 06:57:00 PM
Label as you wish ????

Labeled as "cool" !!

The vintage calls........even the ones that AREN'T the high-dollar collectibles like a Turpin or a Gibson are just, plain COOL.

Lynch
Ashby
Herter's
Smith
Lee
Gray

The list is longer.  But the calls that paint the historic picture of our beloved sport........  PRICELESS.
I have several of those listed myself ,
A few of them never taken out original packaging.

Yoder409

Quote from: Howieg on February 11, 2023, 09:18:40 PM
Quote from: Yoder409 on February 11, 2023, 06:57:00 PM
Label as you wish ????

Labeled as "cool" !!

Lynch
Ashby
Herter's
Smith
Lee
Gray

I have several of those listed myself ,
A few of them never taken out original packaging.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Same.

Be cool if the Collectors forum, here, got some more traction..............  I would LOVE to see vintage calls that others have collected...........as well as ANY calls in guys' collections.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 12, 2023, 07:15:14 AM
Be cool if the Collectors forum, here, got some more traction..............  I would LOVE to see vintage calls that others have collected...........as well as ANY calls in guys' collections.
I think all the threads showcasing a certain callmaker (the Buice thread, the recent Stowe thread) should all be in the "collector's corner" section. The ode to the Turkey Trotter scratchbox post I made the other day in the scratchbox section should've gone there too, probably. Only problem is that unless you're using Tapatalk posts in those specialized sections don't get seen near as much as the ones in the general forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runngun

I would like to see a couple of additional sections @ChesterCopperpot . Maybe a Books/Literature section. I have a good collection of those but I am always looking for more.  Maybe the call makers mentioned could be in a "Sticky" in the collection section.  And we could add more pictures to them. Just a thought.

Have a good one and May God bless y'all, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Cowboy

Here's my deal. Got some with sentimental value, some with historical value. Lots I've bought and didn't like. Nothing of what I would call big $$$ value. But I'm a big history kind of a guy.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk