OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What do you look for in a vest?.

Started by ScottTaulbee, January 23, 2023, 12:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottTaulbee

I was looking for a field line vest that in my mind was the best vest ever made that I wore 20 years as my first vest and finally found another one. I bought it and when I got it in, I realized the vest wasn't as great as I remembered it and it's hanging in the closet. It got me thinking about how my likes and dislikes in vests have changed over the years. What are y'all looking for in a vest?. For me it's the way it fits and how the pockets are situated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deathfoot

I love my vest. As I mentioned in another post, it's 20 plus years old and still looks and does a great job. My only complaint, it can be a bit warm. Which is good early season. If I set up and know I'm going to be in that spot awhile, I simply take it off and put it beside me.

I like good pockets for boxes. And my vest has that. It also has two very nice big pockets on the inside. I use those for gloves, face masks, keys, wallet, TP, snacks, extra shells. Also, the inside has 2 pot pockets. I feel sure you could get 2 more pots in two of the outer pockets but that's where my chalk goes and snacks. I also love the hunting license pocket tucked away on the inside.

The outside pockets are great on it too. Lots of them. And they carry chalk, locator calls, strikers, my Copenhagen (in the mouth call pocket), Gatorade and whatever else I need.

So to answer your question, I like a vest that has room for all the items needed. and easy to get to those items. I've had this vest so long it has become my friend and has traveled all over the country with me.

Zobo

For me it's weight. My Ol' Tom vest was by far the lightest vest I found the year I bought it. Loaded with features, too many actually, but still the best feature to weight ratio. Some vests are better built, but they tend to be heavier.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Dtrkyman

Very little, I am currently using an RNG 200, I add a Molle pouch or 2 when needed.  Not a fan of the pot call holders but have yet to lose one.

Tom007

I look for the following:

Quality zippers
Quality material
Lightweight
Padded, solid cushion shoulder straps (no exposed straps)
Molded in back cushions
Long, padded box call pocket (most are too tight, too short)
Hydration compatible or water bottle pockets
She'll loops
Solid, out of the way seat cushion made of dense material. Most cushions flatten over time
Inside mesh zippered pockets for head net, gloves
Pot call pockets that secure strikers

This about covers it for me.....

Tail Feathers

Pretty much what Tom said but I like a Thermacell holder.  It's not a deal killer, I use the box call pocket on my Tactical Tat'r when I'm not carrying a box.
I like a strap vest, I can't handle a full vest type due to the heat.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Vintage

Tom007

Quote from: Vintage on January 23, 2023, 07:02:21 PM
I'm still using my 10x from the 90's

That was my first vest many many years ago. Wish I still had it, I think is was the original Jim Crumley Trebark.  Do not know what happened to it, would love to have it back.....

Wigsplitter

Great seat with a great magnet holder is what I prefer- also needs inside striker pockets for me - I can't tell you how many guys have stories about lost strikers!! Good shoulder straps will help distribute the load!!!

Gooserbat

Butt cushion first, quiet box call pocket second, secure yet easy access to pot calls third and last internal striker pockets that keep strikers dry and from clinking around.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Muzzy61

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 24, 2023, 12:54:23 AM
Butt cushion first, quiet box call pocket second, secure yet easy access to pot calls third and last internal striker pockets that keep strikers dry and from clinking around.

This ^^^^
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

mullet dredge

Sizing....all vests these days seem to be One Size Fits Most....evidently I'm not MOST.

And shell loops sure are nice...

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: mullet dredge on January 24, 2023, 09:19:53 AM
Sizing....all vests these days seem to be One Size Fits Most....evidently I'm not MOST.

And shell loops sure are nice...
I agree, I've put on about 30 pounds and they're just now starting to fit but back when I was 190 to 200 pounds, one size fits most was like putting a toddler in a xl adult

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

First and foremost before I ever even consider it's gotta be well made. If zippers won't work eventually, snaps pop off while I'm hunting it's useless. Most best have pockets and seats. It's gotta have shell loops that don't sag as well.

PALongspur

Shell loops and a pocket for a longbox ????