OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Raccoon harvest in Alabama 1967/2021

Started by JohnSouth22, January 19, 2023, 05:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnSouth22

Found these numbers mind blowing. From over 174k raccoons harvested in 1967 to only 31,936 in 2021. If each raccoon takes on average anywhere from 1-3 ground nesting bird nests per season(avg 1.5 per coon between turkeys, quail, ducks ect), even if not 100% turkey nests that would still be a mind blowing amount of more nests jumping a hurdle each spring. Tapatalk only lets me post one pic at a time so I will show 2021 stats in comment below. Sources are outdoor Alabama and a study published in 1984 by Virginia state and Virginia tech link here https://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/bitstream/handle/10919/47750/VCE420_801.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnSouth22

Quote from: JohnSouth22 on January 19, 2023, 05:44:58 PM
Found these numbers mind blowing. From over 174k raccoons harvested in 1967 to only 31,936 in 2021. If each raccoon takes on average anywhere from 1-3 ground nesting bird nests per season(avg 1.5 per coon between turkeys, quail, ducks ect), even if not 100% turkey nests that would still be a mind blowing amount of more nests jumping a hurdle each spring. Tapatalk only lets me post one pic at a time so I will show 2021 stats in comment below. Sources are outdoor Alabama and a study published in 1984 by Virginia state and Virginia tech link here https://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/bitstream/handle/10919/47750/VCE420_801.pdf

2021 numbers. Moral of the story is we need all hands on deck to do their part and get the raccoon numbers back in check.

slicksbeagles1

Thanks for sharing. In the early years in the time frame you are talking about coon pelts brought a good price so you had coon hunters and trappers wearing them out. Since then the tree huggers got things changed but I bet they complain now about the coons getting in there trash  :blob10: :blob10:

WV Flopper

Tree fuggers and world economy. Way more to it than those numbers tell.

I love trapping, it's fun, it's challenging, it's educational, it's hands on interactive. Think of this...... A rifle hunter can shoot a coyote at 500 yards. So, he can cover 500 yards in the other direction too, making his kill area 1000 yards. A bow hunter with an effective range of 50 yards can cover 100 yards. A Trapper can cover an area the size of the pan on his trap, 4 square inches, a snare 10" in diameter, it's pretty intimate to trap a critter.

I will openly admit I don't think I was ever a "Good" trapper, but we usually covered expenses for our week long vacation and sometimes made enough to pay hunting club dues. BUT, I would have made more profit if I had worked the week at McDonalds with way less expense.

That's why you don't have the number of trappers today compared to the 70-80's.

Hook hanger

Quote from: WV Flopper on January 19, 2023, 09:13:53 PM
Tree fuggers and world economy. Way more to it than those numbers tell.

I love trapping, it's fun, it's challenging, it's educational, it's hands on interactive. Think of this...... A rifle hunter can shoot a coyote at 500 yards. So, he can cover 500 yards in the other direction too, making his kill area 1000 yards. A bow hunter with an effective range of 50 yards can cover 100 yards. A Trapper can cover an area the size of the pan on his trap, 4 square inches, a snare 10" in diameter, it's pretty intimate to trap a critter.

I will openly admit I don't think I was ever a "Good" trapper, but we usually covered expenses for our week long vacation and sometimes made enough to pay hunting club dues. BUT, I would have made more profit if I had worked the week at McDonalds with way less expense.

That's why you don't have the number of trappers today compared to the 70-80's.

Traps run 24/7 no hunter does this trapping is very effective if done correctly!