OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lurkers

Started by Yoder409, January 16, 2023, 08:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

Quote from: GobbleNut on January 17, 2023, 10:27:16 AM
Totally agree with all the sentiments expressed above.  Simply put, if you have a passion for turkey hunting, this is THE place to be to share that passion. 

I will add an additional comment, as well.  Participating on this site gives all of us opportunities to "meet" new friends from all over the country and share knowledge, experiences, and information that, for me at least, has expanded my turkey hunting horizons exponentially over the years I have been here.  What began as casual, online friendships because I decided to "jump in head first" rather than "lurk" have resulted in many face-to-face meetings on hunts in places I would never have experienced otherwise, and with folks whose friendships I now cherish.  In addition, I have more invitations to hunt in places all over the country than I have time left to pursue them (unfortunately).

I have no doubt that there are many others here that have had similar experiences through their online journey over the years on Old Gobbler!  As others have said, jump in! The water's fine,...and the current may lead you to people and places you would likely never get to otherwise!   :)
Well said Gobblenut!

Tom007

I'll admit that I felt a bit scared as an Old Jersey boy joining this forum family. I say family because that's how I felt from day one. I quickly found out that this is the place to learn and experience the things about Turkey hunting that your not going to find anywhere else. I learn everyday from everyone here, and I am thankful for all the relationships I developed over the years. Well done, thank you all........

Yoder409

Quote from: tal on January 17, 2023, 08:31:46 AM
I had dinner with him and thought it was me. Although how he could tell I couldn't kill a turkey I'll never know....  :TooFunny:

It's my turkey spidey senses.

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

Quote from: the Ward on January 17, 2023, 09:42:48 AM
Well to be fair, i have seen many a new guy run off by self appointed "gatekeepers" over the years.
A new guy joins and asks a question about decoys, or blinds, or some subject that has been asked
many times, and they get jumped on. Then the new member leaves and never returns. Spring is coming,
and with it will be an uptick in new members and forum activity. Just something to think about before
typing a sarcastic reply to a new guy who might ask a question you have heard asked a thousand times.

I guess I missed these dramas.

But you make a GREAT point !!!  We're turkey hunters.  We're patient with the bird when we're playing the game.  Let's be patient with a new guy asking the very same questions EVERY ONE OF US had at some point in our own journey.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

the Ward

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 17, 2023, 12:47:41 PM
Quote from: the Ward on January 17, 2023, 09:42:48 AM
Well to be fair, i have seen many a new guy run off by self appointed "gatekeepers" over the years.
A new guy joins and asks a question about decoys, or blinds, or some subject that has been asked
many times, and they get jumped on. Then the new member leaves and never returns. Spring is coming,
and with it will be an uptick in new members and forum activity. Just something to think about before
typing a sarcastic reply to a new guy who might ask a question you have heard asked a thousand times.

I guess I missed these dramas.

But you make a GREAT point !!!  We're turkey hunters.  We're patient with the bird when we're playing the game.  Let's be patient with a new guy asking the very same questions EVERY ONE OF US had at some point in our own journey.
It has been pretty uncommon here, but has happened occasionally back in the past. We have a ton of great members here for sure!

the Ward

Quote from: Tom007 on January 17, 2023, 12:33:13 PM
I'll admit that I felt a bit scared as an Old Jersey boy joining this forum family. I say family because that's how I felt from day one. I quickly found out that this is the place to learn and experience the things about Turkey hunting that your not going to find anywhere else. I learn everyday from everyone here, and I am thankful for all the relationships I developed over the years. Well done, thank you all........
You've been a great example of a gentleman for as long as you been here Tom.Glad there are folks
like you as members.    :happy0167:

Zobo

Tom is a perfect example of the unbelievably nice and sincere people you'll find on this great forum. As a longtime turkey hunter with substantial years experience, I was still a years long lurker on this forum. I just didn't feel comfortable with social media and expressing myself on it. Im not too computer literate and I'm more old fashioned in being reserved with my thoughts. But the people here have been great, so informative and really funny at times.  Posting comments and asking questions enriches the forum experience and you start to connect with people. I really think this forum in some way has actually made me like turkey hunting more.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Tom007

Quote from: the Ward on January 17, 2023, 01:00:52 PM
You've been a great example of a gentleman for as long as you been here Tom.Glad there are folks
like you as members.    :happy0167:
Quote from: Zobo on January 17, 2023, 01:14:48 PM

Tom is a perfect example of the unbelievably nice and sincere people you'll find on this great forum. As a longtime turkey hunter with substantial years experience, I was still a years long lurker on this forum. I just didn't feel comfortable with social media and expressing myself on it. Im not too computer literate and I'm more old fashioned in being reserved with my thoughts. But the people here have been great, so informative and really funny at times.  Posting comments and asking questions enriches the forum experience and you start to connect with people. I really think this forum in some way has actually made me like turkey hunting more.

Thanks so much for the kind words. Ditto to both of you too! "The success of any organization solely lies with the quality of it's founders and the strengths of it's members". This pretty much sums up why this forum is considered to be among the best Sporting Forums out there. Be safe.....

G-dub

I've been a "lurker" as well. Great place for advice and information.
Now if I could just get some advice on reaping with decoys using 3.5" TSS #5...    ;)

tal

Quote from: G-dub on January 17, 2023, 04:09:42 PM
Now if I could just get some advice on reaping with decoys using 3.5" TSS #5...    ;)
You're going to do ok here, I can just tell.   :TooFunny:

Yoder409

Quote from: tal on January 17, 2023, 04:13:59 PM
Quote from: G-dub on January 17, 2023, 04:09:42 PM
You're going to do ok here, I can just tell.   :TooFunny:

X2 !!

:TooFunny:
PA elitist since 1979

RLAG

Guilty as charged I enjoyed meeting and having dinner with you Yoder! Hopefully this post reaches others as a result of our conversation

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

357MAGNOLE

Great post! Ive been here a while but I also keep my trap shut for the most part.   Place is a wealth of knowledge but the older I get the more I sit back and just absorb and tend to stay quiet. What a boring place this would be if no-one posted though.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

TrackeySauresRex

Great post!
I'll reintroduce myself...

Hello, my name is John a long time lurker who scares turkeys away on a regular basis. 
Thank you for all the help over the years my OG brothers and sisters.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Yoder409

Quote from: RLAG on January 17, 2023, 10:37:22 PM
Guilty as charged I enjoyed meeting and having dinner with you Yoder! Hopefully this post reaches others as a result of our conversation

Absolute pleasure meeting YOU !!!!!!

You, obviously, weren't the only one to admit being a lurker.  But you WERE the only one I had an extended conversation with over dinner.  And your comments during our discussion turned a lightbulb on over my old bald head.    ;D      An internet forum is only as good as its contributors.  The more, the merrier.    And, YES !!!   Hopefully our meet-up........aside from being a great visit with great people........will end up being of some benefit to the OG family.

Again........ A pleasure meeting you !!!   You are a legit young man and I see a whole lotta dead gobblers in your future.   :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979