turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting trip to WY

Started by Bagg-it Tag-it, January 10, 2023, 10:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bagg-it Tag-it

My brother lives in WY and is just starting in turkey hunting (so he doesn't really know where to go). We are planning a trip in May this year and need to put in for the draw by the end of the month. Zone 1 is in the NE part of the state by the Black Hills and seems to be a popular spot. However, they don't publish draw odds. It seems as if the eastern part of the state has more turkeys than the western part of the state. Slightly to the west of zone 1 in the central northern part of the state is zone 3. My brother has a friend in the Bighorn Mnt's (which is in area 3) who says he sees a lot of turkeys. That guy isn't a hunter so I take that with a grain of salt. Looks like a non res is likely to get drawn in area or zone 3. Is there any areas people here have hunted in WY? Any tips on WY turkey hunting?

Meadow Valley Man

ddturkeyhunter

Been three years now since I hunted in WY, I am a non resident. But I hunted in the BLACK HILLS part of the state, and that you didnt need to apply for you just bought license over the counter. Its just you go and work at finding birds to hunt with everone else. But if someone tells you there seeing turkeys that would be good enough for me to try out. the bigger problem is how may other people are hunting the turkeys he is seeing.

joey46

I spent three years researching WY and finally made a successful trip there early last May.  As usual my plans included hunting only on weekdays during the middle of the season.  It takes a lot of planning plus a few $$ but a decent hunting experience can still be had.  Good luck.

deathfoot

As stated, area 1 is a general tag and can be purchased anytime over the counter.

My luck in the Wyoming black hills is 0% (tried it once). Heard birds, called some in within 60 yards but couldn't close the deal. My luck in South Dakota Black Hills is 100% (been there 3 times). Wyoming Black Hills was jammed pack with hunters. Not as much room and my one trip out there 1\4 of Wyoming Black Hills was snowed in and not huntable.

I do love Wyoming tho. So I hope you have great luck out there. Definitely go and have fun. I'll be in Wyoming Black Hills again this year so fingers crossed for you wherever you land out there.

joey46

I had been meaning to change my forum picture and finally did it.   I hope to return to WY but it won't be this year I'm afraid.   As mentioned going mid week later in the season usually works most anywhere to lessen hunting pressure.  It did here also.  Again good luck.

POk3s

All draw odds are published. I can find them for you if you'd like, but the reason you aren't finding them is because you don't have to draw in the north east part of the state. He buys a tag and so do you. Either online or when you get here.

JohnSouth22

Bagg-it Tag-it

Thank you for all the replies. Probably will head to zone 1 in the Black Hills then. The WY website isn't the most user friendly. Good to know it is an OTC tag. Thanks again

Bagg-it Tag-it

Quote from: Meadow Valley Man on January 10, 2023, 02:48:48 PM
I sent you an email

Didn't find your email or DM. Where did you send it?

Bagg-it Tag-it

deathfoot

Quote from: Bagg-it Tag-it on January 13, 2023, 10:13:00 AM
Thank you for all the replies. Probably will head to zone 1 in the Black Hills then. The WY website isn't the most user friendly. Good to know it is an OTC tag. Thanks again

Common theme honestly. Lol. I did get mine online this year tho from Wyoming. Last time I was out there the pandemic had just started and I bought it at Hulett Hardware because the store off the interstate said they couldn't sell to nonresidents because of the pandemic. But if you're coming from the East, that store at the first exit sells tags. Just some fyi for ya.

Moore

I have hunted wy many times. If you are in the NE part of the state then it would just a general tag you wouldn't need to go into the drawing. I love it out there. Those. Merriams are talkers from what I experience they love a box call I killed mine with thSs custom calls. It was the first time I killed a turkey using one. The only tip I can give you is the go get you self a primos peacock call. It was the best locator call out there. I had no trouble with them shock gobble when I used it. I was given that tip by a trust turkey hunter. That call does all sorts of calls but the actually peacock call is what to use.Best tip  I got.
[

joey46

I had no trouble at all with the WY web sites.  Got my tag and conservation licenses all through them before making the trip.   One was downloadable one had to be mailed so allow a little time if using this method.  They are a very vocal bird.  You'll enjoy it.  Good luck.