turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey taxidermy

Started by MossyOak92, January 07, 2023, 12:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MossyOak92

Just got the call from my taxidermist this morning. Excited to go pick him up! Lets see some other people's mounts they have! Include who done them.

Seth French at Deep South Strutters done mine.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2022) using Tapatalk

lunghit

That is real nice! Mine should be done right around the start of the spring season
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

3bailey3

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

captpete

Looks good. This is the only turkey taxidermy I have in the house and I did it myself.

Resized_20230107_141417 by K Pete, on Flickr

MossyOak92

Quote from: captpete on January 07, 2023, 03:19:28 PM
Looks good. This is the only turkey taxidermy I have in the house and I did it myself.

I like it! What did you use on those spurs to get them so white? Mine always look a little yellow even after I tried bleaching them.

Greg Massey

Congrats on your gobbler mount ... looks really nice

captpete

Quote from: MossyOak92 on January 07, 2023, 03:39:05 PM
Quote from: captpete on January 07, 2023, 03:19:28 PM

I like it! What did you use on those spurs to get them so white? Mine always look a little yellow even after I tried bleaching them.

Don't use bleach...it can eat them up and not really whiten them. After cleaning them up, I soak them in ammonia for about 2 weeks to get the oils out of he bones. I rinse them off good, then soak them in hair salon peroxide for 6-8 hours, rinse and let dry. I don't know if makes any difference or, but I always set the jar with peroxide & spurs in the sun. I heard the little extra heat helps the peroxide work better.

This where I learned how to do them:  https://vanheldengamecalls.weebly.com/diy-projects--blog/how-i-clean-turkey-spurs

Tom007

Real nice work there.....congrats

GobbleNut

Good looking semi-strut mount..  Your taxidermist did a great job with the posture and feather placement on your bird.  Those two elements separate good turkey taxidermy from average.  You have a very nice mount there.  ...The head coloration is pretty unique for a semi-strut gobbler mount.  Coming out of strut with that head coloration, I would say that gobbler must have just realized he had made a big mistake.   :D

Greg Massey

What does it cost now to have one done?    Several years ago i had one done and it was just over 500 dollars ....

MossyOak92

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 08, 2023, 06:03:38 PM
What does it cost now to have one done?    Several years ago i had one done and it was just over 500 dollars ....
Mine was $1,000.  But I believe he told me he has went up this year. From what I have seen around that is about the average price. If anything a little on the cheaper side for someone who specializes in just turkeys. Some taxidermist are $750 but they also mount just about anything up to others who are $1500+ for specialized turkey taxidermist.

Greg Massey

Quote from: MossyOak92 on January 08, 2023, 06:11:48 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on January 08, 2023, 06:03:38 PM
Mine was $1,000.  But I believe he told me he has went up this year. From what I have seen around that is about the average price. If anything a little on the cheaper side for someone who specializes in just turkeys. Some taxidermist are $750 but they also mount just about anything up to others who are $1500+ for specialized turkey taxidermist.

Thanks , yes my taxidermy he wouldn't commit to do my gobbler until he looked it over, because if it had a lot of damage to the feathers I wouldn't want to pay the price for his time ... I was fortunate mine had pretty much no feather damage ...

Tom007

These 2 birds were mounted by Bob Helgans from Chester NJ many years ago. Bob won many awards for his work, and they definitely stood the test of time. The strutter was taken in NJ in the 90's, the standing mount in early 2000's in NY. He did mount other animals, but Turkey's were his specialty. Great guy to deal with. Be safe...

aclawrence

Here's my gobbler. He lives in my office. Ryan Scearcy at Billingsby Road Taxidermy did the mount for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk