turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trumpet yelper mouthpieces.....

Started by Tarheel, January 03, 2023, 09:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarheel

It's been so long since I've made a trumpet yelper I almost had forgotten how, but it's slowly coming back.  Now if the lathe tools would just sharpen themselves, I could really get something done....LOL!  Making trumpet yelper mouthpieces is not one of my favorite things to do.  Now that elephant ivory is banded, I have mixed feelings about what materials I will use for mouthpieces. What mouthpiece materials are most preferred?  Or does it really matter if the sound is there? 

Regardless, I'm making the chips fly.....LOL!!!

Meleagris gallopavo

Exciting times!  Coming out of the gate with snakewood too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Fatbeard

East TN Beard Buster

turkey stew

Many trumpet makers use micarta, delrin, and acrylic. Marvin, Good start on the snakewood. Make those wood chips fly.

Tarheel

The customer that will get this trumpet yelper told me, "I thought I might get a trumpet from old Brutha Zach before I got one from you...."...LOL!!!  He's been patiently waiting for a long time, but he's going to get this one...and the one I'll make from the snakewood that's laying on the lathe bed.  And I'll probably make him a snakewood tree yelper to go with those two, so he'll have a full set.  Regardless, I won't be making many snakewood trumpet yelpers....

Tarheel

Still have to set up my dust collection, so these trumpets haven't been detailed or sanded, just rough turned....but I'm making the chips fly and beginning to feel more comfortable.  Now trying to figure out the look I want.

greentrout

Looking good Marvin! I like third from left and the one on the far right. I think delrin and acrylic are both fine from a consumer point. And easy to obtain.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

Greg Massey

I like them all ... i'm not picky ... but the one that catches my eyes is the one left to right number 4 ...  i would love to see and hear it after you finish that one ... So keep me in mind if it's not sold already ... thanks

Tarheel

The calls here are calls I had bored the internals and roughed out, but never finished.  If I were starting to make a new call, it would look different from these.  These are a mix of several of my old style trumpets I've made in the past, so I'm having to work with what I have....LOL!!!  I haven't learned how to add back wood yet. I'm having to wait to get a new clamp for my Oneway Spindle Steady before I can bore out any more trumpets.  Since the part is shipping from Canada, it may take a while for it to get here.  None of these are promised....I'm finishing these calls practicing to see if I still remember how to make one....LOL!!! So when I finish it, it will be available for purchase.  My plan is to finish these calls up in time for me to take them with me to Unicoi.