Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shot Show-Any New 20 Gauge Offerings to Consider?

Started by BDeal, December 31, 2022, 11:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDeal

Hi All-

Looking to switch to a 20 gauge for weight savings and recoil reduction. I wish I would have bought a Weatherby SA 459 when they still made them. I am now looking at the Franchi Affinity 3 Turkey and the Tristar Viper Turkey. Does anyone know if there are any new offerings for 20 gauge turkey guns that will be made public at the Shot Show which takes place in a couple of weeks?

Thank You!

PaLmbHngr

Yoder409

Quote from: BDeal on December 31, 2022, 11:36:39 AM
Looking to switch to a 20 gauge for weight savings and recoil reduction.

Just a friendly reality check............

It's pretty hard to have both.  A lightweight 20 with a 3" turkey load will pop you pretty good.  If you're looking for the best of both worlds, pick out a 20 in a gas-operated semi.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

BDeal

Quote from: Yoder409 on December 31, 2022, 02:02:53 PM

It's pretty hard to have both.  A lightweight 20 with a 3" turkey load will pop you pretty good.  If you're looking for the best of both worlds, pick out a 20 in a gas-operated semi.

I appreciate the feedback! My son has a lightweight 20 gauge pump that I have shot some with the 3 inch shells. While it does kick just a little, it is orders of magnitude less than the two 12 gauges with 3.5 inch shells that I have been shooting for years so I don't mind if it kicks a little.

mountainhunter1

I think you are on the right track BDeal. I have a Mossberg Super Bantam Youth which is about as light of a 20 gauge as you can come up with these days, and it to me just really does not have that much kick and is a joy to shoot those heavy TSS loads in.

The big change it appears on the Mossberg new offerings seems to be basically a couple of more camo offerings on the same gun that was available last year if the above referral was on the SA-20. PaLmbHngr may know of a few new models thought that I have not seen.

If you do not want to spring for the higher dollar Franchi Affinity Compact or the BM2, then the Super Bantam Youth and the SA-20 from Mossberg are worth at least taking a look at. I was going to get the SA-20 last year, but Mossberg folks told me that the Super Bantam is American made and that the SA-20 was made over seas. They said that customer service state side was an easier process on top of staying in the states with my money. That may not be Gospel correct and someone can correct that on here if it is not, but that is what they told me - so I went with the Super Bantam. So far, I have been really pleased - but there were several turkeys last spring that were not. And a gun that barely weighs over 5 pounds is a joy to carry - and that to me was the biggest perk as recoil was not really a factor in wanting to add a new gun to the mix. 

You did not ask and may be light years ahead of me on the matter, but if you are going to be shopping for chokes and want to stay around 50 dollars and still get a great choke, then check out the Patternmaster Anaconda Striker (gas over constriction) in .570. The Anaconda will consistently put around 275-285 in the ten at a measured forty yards with 9's with the five guns that we have tried that choke out in.

If money is no object, I would probably start with the IC .565 or .570 (They now cost 90 dollars). (Expect around 300-330 give or take with either of these tubes at a measured 40 yards with 9's).

Now don't laugh, but the 25 dollar HS Strut Undertaker in .582 will (most times) put around 250 consistently in the ten with 9's at the same range if you don't want to spend much money at all on a new choke. That is a lower ten count, but the catch is that the Undertaker tends to put almost identical numbers in the 20 count, which suddenly makes that an awesome set up to consider when you have right at 500 or more in the combined 10 and 20 inch circle - especially if you are like me and really want a turkey to get inside of 30 before you touch the shot off. I know you did not ask, but this stuff is darn expensive when changing to a new gun, and if it helps to save you a dollar or two in the whole process once you have your new gun in hand, then that was my hope in sharing.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

BDeal

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on December 31, 2022, 04:50:30 PM
I think you are on the right track BDeal. I have a Mossberg Super Bantam Youth which is about as light of a 20 gauge as you can come up with these days, and it to me just really does not have that much kick and is a joy to shoot those heavy TSS loads in.

The big change it appears on the Mossberg new offerings seems to be basically a couple of more camo offerings on the same gun that was available last year if the above referral was on the SA-20. PaLmbHngr may know of a few new models thought that I have not seen.

If you do not want to spring for the higher dollar Franchi Affinity Compact or the BM2, then the Super Bantam Youth and the SA-20 from Mossberg are worth at least taking a look at. I was going to get the SA-20 last year, but Mossberg folks told me that the Super Bantam is American made and that the SA-20 was made over seas. They said that customer service state side was an easier process on top of staying in the states with my money. That may not be Gospel correct and someone can correct that on here if it is not, but that is what they told me - so I went with the Super Bantam. So far, I have been really pleased - but there were several turkeys last spring that were not. And a gun that barely weighs over 5 pounds is a joy to carry - and that to me was the biggest perk as recoil was not really a factor in wanting to add a new gun to the mix. 

You did not ask and may be light years ahead of me on the matter, but if you are going to be shopping for chokes and want to stay around 50 dollars and still get a great choke, then check out the Patternmaster Anaconda Striker (gas over constriction) in .570. The Anaconda will consistently put around 275-285 in the ten at a measured forty yards with 9's with the five guns that we have tried that choke out in.

If money is no object, I would probably start with the IC .565 or .570 (They now cost 90 dollars). (Expect around 300-330 give or take with either of these tubes at a measured 40 yards with 9's).

Now don't laugh, but the 25 dollar HS Strut Undertaker in .582 will (most times) put around 250 consistently in the ten with 9's at the same range if you don't want to spend much money at all on a new choke. That is a lower ten count, but the catch is that the Undertaker tends to put almost identical numbers in the 20 count, which suddenly makes that an awesome set up to consider when you have right at 500 or more in the combined 10 and 20 inch circle - especially if you are like me and really want a turkey to get inside of 30 before you touch the shot off. I know you did not ask, but this stuff is darn expensive when changing to a new gun, and if it helps to save you a dollar or two in the whole process once you have your new gun in hand, then that was my hope in sharing.

This is some great info!! I had a really bad experience with a Mossberg shotgun and don't think I could ever own one again. It was probably just a lemon but it was an absolute piece of junk and I swore I would never buy one again. For chokes I was thinking of starting with a Carlson .575 extended non-ported.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: BDeal on December 31, 2022, 06:04:27 PM

This is some great info!! I had a really bad experience with a Mossberg shotgun and don't think I could ever own one again. It was probably just a lemon but it was an absolute piece of junk and I swore I would never buy one again. For chokes I was thinking of starting with a Carlson .575 extended non-ported.

LOL - I can relate to that as I said I would never buy a Mossberg for years either. But after two of my buddies got one of the Super Bantam and loved it, I decided I would be a guinea pig. So I totally respect where you are at. For the money, the Franchi Affinity Compact is hard to beat. But there are also several more great guns being produced in the 20 if you want to steer clear of Mossberg.

The Carlson .575 choke is also a great choice and from my experience it will usually do at least 275 in the ten at forty with nines. I have seen a couple of the Carlson's perform well past 300 with a pretty even pattern.

One more option and you may already have this in your possession from a previous gun, - is the Trulock .575 and .585 precision hunter. Not only will those two give good even patterns, they also put a lot in the circle. And like the patternmaster, they are really fair priced for the quality you get.

Let us know what you wind up getting and how it shoots as most of us on this site enjoy setting the guns up about as much as we do killing turkeys with those same guns.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

BDeal

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on December 31, 2022, 06:49:37 PM

LOL - I can relate to that as I said I would never buy a Mossberg for years either. But after two of my buddies got one of the Super Bantam and loved it, I decided I would be a guinea pig. So I totally respect where you are at. For the money, the Franchi Affinity Compact is hard to beat. But there are also several more great guns being produced in the 20 if you want to steer clear of Mossberg.

The Carlson .575 choke is also a great choice and from my experience it will usually do at least 275 in the ten at forty with nines. I have seen a couple of the Carlson's perform well past 300 with a pretty even pattern.

One more option and you may already have this in your possession from a previous gun, - is the Trulock .575 and .585 precision hunter. Not only will those two give good even patterns, they also put a lot in the circle. And like the patternmaster, they are really fair priced for the quality you get.

Let us know what you wind up getting and how it shoots as most of us on this site enjoy setting the guns up about as much as we do killing turkeys with those same guns.

I'm open to suggestions for a new 20 gauge with a pistol grip stock and 24 inch max barrell length. Gun must also be tapped for a scope as I will be using a Burris FF3 reflex sight.  I'm leaning towards the Affinity.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: BDeal on January 01, 2023, 01:56:05 PM
Quote from: mountainhunter1 on December 31, 2022, 06:49:37 PM

I'm open to suggestions for a new 20 gauge with a pistol grip stock and 24 inch max barrell length. Gun must also be tapped for a scope as I will be using a Burris FF3 reflex sight.  I'm leaning towards the Affinity.

I'm with you on the 22-24" barrel. It makes walking through the woods much more enjoyable. I too won't hardly buy a gun that is not tapped, and the BFF3 is also a great choice. You will have a turkey killing machine sure enough.

Ranger

New Weatherby Element 20ga in Bottomland camo, great turkey gun. Best part is the Weatherbys don't have the flimsy bolt like a Franchi or a Benelli that seem to always snag or not fully close.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Turkeyfever

Quote from: Ranger on January 01, 2023, 07:06:16 PM
New Weatherby Element 20ga in Bottomland camo, great turkey gun. Best part is the Weatherbys don't have the flimsy bolt like a Franchi or a Benelli that seem to always snag or not fully close.
That Weatherby is a great looking gun , I had never  seen one of those ! I have The Mossberg SA 20 turkey thug and killed many turkeys with it but I like the feel of my inertia guns better. The Stoeger m3020 is a great  shooting gun but my favorite is the Retay Marsai mara turkey XT. Mine is bottomland 22 inch barrel comes drilled ,tapped and with rail. Just the way it's made , easy to clean , trigger assembly pops out with the push of a button. The Bolt assembly is top notch no chance of a click! Just all depends on what you want, I use the factory full out of the Retay. The other two guns have the Carlson 575 non ported turkey choke, that choke is a good one, gives you a great hunting pattern.  Good luck in your search for a new gun BDeal!

76chevy

physics says this is correct.  870 youth model is about perfect for me.  added a kicklite stock for my son, but he hunts savage 301 savage mostly now

Quote from: Yoder409 on December 31, 2022, 02:02:53 PM

BDeal

Quote from: Turkeyfever on January 01, 2023, 08:19:14 PM
Quote from: Ranger on January 01, 2023, 07:06:16 PM
That Weatherby is a great looking gun , I had never  seen one of those ! I have The Mossberg SA 20 turkey thug and killed many turkeys with it but I like the feel of my inertia guns better. The Stoeger m3020 is a great  shooting gun but my favorite is the Retay Marsai mara turkey XT. Mine is bottomland 22 inch barrel comes drilled ,tapped and with rail. Just the way it's made , easy to clean , trigger assembly pops out with the push of a button. The Bolt assembly is top notch no chance of a click! Just all depends on what you want, I use the factory full out of the Retay. The other two guns have the Carlson 575 non ported turkey choke, that choke is a good one, gives you a great hunting pattern.  Good luck in your search for a new gun BDeal!

I like the looks of the Weatherby but don't see a pistol grip option. I emailed them to see if they have on for it.

BDeal

I have some definite hesitation with buying a Mossberg but the new SA 20 Tactical Turkey appears to have everything I'm looking for: pistol grip, 22 inch barrel, and only 6 lbs. It's looking like it will be between the Mossberg and the Franchi Affinity 3 Turkey. The Mossberg is .7 lbs lighter and has a 2 inch shorter barrell. I'm just not sure how they would compare from a quality standpoint....

Greg Massey

Quote from: BDeal on January 03, 2023, 08:46:32 AM
I have some definite hesitation with buying a Mossberg but the new SA 20 Tactical Turkey appears to have everything I'm looking for: pistol grip, 22 inch barrel, and only 6 lbs. It's looking like it will be between the Mossberg and the Franchi Affinity 3 Turkey. The Mossberg is .7 lbs lighter and has a 2 inch shorter barrell. I'm just not sure how they would compare from a quality standpoint....
If i was buying one of these 2, hands down it would be the Intertia driven System / Franchi ..