OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Retay Gordion Turkey w/Pistol Grip

Started by Matt76cmich, December 30, 2022, 10:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt76cmich

I've read good things about the Retay shotguns, but just saw they have a Gordion turkey with a pistol grip. I can't seem to find any for sale (anywhere) to see if I can get my hands on one to check out.

Anyone get one in their hands yet or see one?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

JLH

I have a Retay masai mara 20 I use for waterfowl....the gun has been flawless, cycles light dove loads as easy as heavy waterfowl loads.
I've been very happy with that gun.

I've been waiting for them to come out with a pistol grip turkey gun , I'll be buying one of these before spring for sure!

I'll add that I did shoot mine with a stock full choke and tss 9's...it threw a heck of a pattern!

deathfoot

Quote from: JLH on January 11, 2023, 08:37:49 AM
I have a Retay masai mara 20 I use for waterfowl....the gun has been flawless, cycles light dove loads as easy as heavy waterfowl loads.
I've been very happy with that gun.

I've been waiting for them to come out with a pistol grip turkey gun , I'll be buying one of these before spring for sure!

I'll add that I did shoot mine with a stock full choke and tss 9's...it threw a heck of a pattern!

Have you found/bought one yet? I'm debating buying the 20 gauge at some point if I can find it.

Glades

Never handled or seen one, but from the specs there are 2 things I don't like.
1) The stock is full LOP (14.37"), not compact. I like compact/youth stocks
2) It is fairly heavy for a 20 ga at 6.5 lbs. That is more than 1 lb heavier than any of the Benellis (M2, Montefeltro, Ultralight).

But if you don't mind the stock, and the weight, this might be a good option for you.

deathfoot

Quote from: Glades on February 07, 2023, 09:58:23 AM
Never handled or seen one, but from the specs there are 2 things I don't like.
1) The stock is full LOP (14.37"), not compact. I like compact/youth stocks
2) It is fairly heavy for a 20 ga at 6.5 lbs. That is more than 1 lb heavier than any of the Benellis (M2, Montefeltro, Ultralight).

But if you don't mind the stock, and the weight, this might be a good option for you.

Very good points. And ones I will definitely consider.

I like the 22" barrel options as well as the pistol grip option. The stock will be okay for me. It would be nicer if it weighed less for sure.

My current turkey gun (that I use the most) is a SBEIII. Not happy with the point of impact it has but I've got a scope to correct it. It's heavy, and I usually don't mind the weight. But as I get older I'm sure I will.

I'd love to see some guys here review the Retay tho. It's a nice looking gun and from the reviews I've seen it seems to be a good shooting gun as well.

Glades

With regards to the weight, the website says 6.5 lbs, but it doesn't make a distinction between the 12 and 20 gauges. There is a possibility the 6.5lb weight is for the 12, and the 20 could be lighter. I don't know.

The price is also something to think about. These guns are going for $900-$1000, for a Turkish made gun. Franchi is in the same price range, but their guns are made in Italy. My main gun this year is a Benelli Montefeltro, and I paid $1000 for it brand new from EuroOptic. And that is an Italian gun.
Mossberg SA guns are also made in turkey, and they are $600. So I don't know where the other $300 go. Is it maybe Retay is spending more of their margin on marketing since they are a fairly new company?

Bingoman

The retay Masai Mara 20g 22" with regular stock weighs 6.3 lb on my scale. I'll be working through a few new chokes over the next few weeks to see how  it patterns. Good balance, shoulders well. I removed the oversized bolt release because it causes some malfunctions I wasn't happy with. If it patterns nice, I'll add a reflex site.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

4nolz2

I pick mine up tomorrow.From what I've heard the first thing is to check poa vs poi and return if way off.

Greg Massey

I saw a 20 gauge Tuesday .. In Miss... It's a really nice gun...

4nolz2

They don't make a 20 gauge turkey gun with a pistol grip do they? I was told no

Bingoman

Quote from: 4nolz2 on February 09, 2023, 06:54:05 PM
They don't make a 20 gauge turkey gun with a pistol grip do they? I was told no
Scroll up to the first post in this thread. Sku numbers and all

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Rockhound

We got both 12 and 20 in at the shop I work at, and they done them right. I get stuff at dealer cost so I snagged a 20 gauge with pistol grip in bottomland. Haven't shot it yet. I need to get mu burris on it.

4nolz2

I'm sorry I confused Retay with Girsan

deathfoot

Quote from: 4nolz2 on February 08, 2023, 06:38:25 PM
I pick mine up tomorrow.From what I've heard the first thing is to check poa vs poi and return if way off.

Keep us posted. I'd love to see some reviews here. I'd love to add a good 20 gauge to my turkey arsenal and this gun looks to fit everything I'm looking for.

4nolz2