OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke Suggestions for 20 Gauge with TSS?

Started by BDeal, December 27, 2022, 03:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDeal

HI All-

Setting up my son's Rem 870 20 gauge youth to use with TSS. I currently have a Primos Tightwad .570, Carlson's non-ported .575 and Remington Superfull Lead and Steel (not even sure what the constriction is on that one). Based on your experiences, would you guess that one of these may work better than the others and are there others you would suggest instead? We are gong to be patterning with Apex #9.

Thank You!

RLAG

I did the same thing last season with my 870 youth. With a Carlson's 585, I get a 6" pattern at 20 and still a killing pattern at 55-60. I just got an Indian Creek 555 to try at 60 to see what difference it'll make. Didn't want to make too tight of a pattern at 20.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Spurs Up

Quote from: BDeal on December 27, 2022, 03:20:21 PM
HI All-

Setting up my son's Rem 870 20 gauge youth to use with TSS. I currently have a Primos Tightwad .570, Carlson's non-ported .575 and Remington Superfull Lead and Steel (not even sure what the constriction is on that one). Based on your experiences, would you guess that one of these may work better than the others and are there others you would suggest instead? We are gong to be patterning with Apex #9.

Thank You!

Rem SuperFull is a .572 constriction and a great combo for T-9's in that gun. All of these will be tight with little margin for aiming error.

BDeal

Quote from: Spurs Up on December 27, 2022, 05:15:54 PM
HI All-

Thank You!

Rem SuperFull is a .572 constriction and a great combo for T-9's in that gun. All of these will be tight with little margin for aiming error.

Do you think a .585 might be a better choice here?

Tail Feathers

Carlson's .575 in my Mossberg SA20 and Carlson's flush mount .580? in my SX3.  Both have killing patterns to 50 for those misjudged shots.  They would probably do 100+ in that 10" circle for quite a bit further but I've never shot them past 50.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

bbcoach

Start out with dove shot at 12 yards and 30 X 30 paper for poa/poi issues.  If you have issues then you may need sights or scope.  Then shoot each choke with dove shot at 30 to see what you have then finish with an Apex at 40.  Good luck.

Spurs Up

Quote from: BDeal on December 27, 2022, 06:17:45 PM
Quote from: Spurs Up on December 27, 2022, 05:15:54 PM
HI All-

Thank You!

Do you think a .585 might be a better choice here?

Probably so. Should provide a more forgiving pattern.  That could be important for a an inexperienced shooter unless you plan to put a reflex/red dot on it.

BDeal

Quote from: RLAG on December 27, 2022, 03:43:48 PM
I did the same thing last season with my 870 youth. With a Carlson's 585, I get a 6" pattern at 20 and still a killing pattern at 55-60. I just got an Indian Creek 555 to try at 60 to see what difference it'll make. Didn't want to make too tight of a pattern at 20.

Was the Carlsons .585 a flush mount?

RLAG

No extended. Believe they call it EF for extra full

BDeal

Quote from: RLAG on December 28, 2022, 05:13:13 PM
No extended. Believe they call it EF for extra full

And you're sure its a .585 and not a .575?

Thank You!!!

rakkin6

I like the IC .562 and the Jebs .565, IC shot a little better for me but the Jebs is a killer also.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Turkeyfever

I use a Carlson non ported 575 in 3 different 20 gauge set ups. Great hunting pattern! Not too tight , good/even pattern.

RLAG

Yep 585

Gooserbat

My experience is about anything from a factory full and tighter will work fine.  The shell is the biggest part of the tss equation.  I had an 870 youth that shot within 10-15 pellets in the 10"@40 yards regardless of the choke I used.

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.