News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 Gauge TSS: #8.5 or 9 Shot?

Started by BDeal, December 27, 2022, 09:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDeal

Greetings All-

I've never shot TSS. I'm looking at 3 inch Apex #9 or the Ninjas in #8.5. Any thoughts or suggestions between the two?

Thank You!

guesswho

I'd go with 9's.   They will kill a turkey beyond distances we should be shooting.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Dtrkyman

I've shot 9 and 9.5 for the past 5 years, I doubt you would see any real advantage or disadvantge with either but 9s are plenty.  Loaded some 7.5s for a couple states where it was the smallest legal size, and while the patterns were still really good there was a clear difference.

It was weird when first switching to such small shot, but this stuff is just superior to lead in every way other than cost!

Spring Creek Calls

I've killed turkeys with both but only bought the 8.5's when the 9's weren't available. My 28 gauge really likes 9.5's.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Tail Feathers

Been shooting 9's for a few years.  They work well on killing birds at any reasonable distance and pattern great.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Swampmonkey

Shot both 8.5's and 9'a in 12ga and the patterns are ridiculous in both. The difference between the 2 is pretty negligible in my opinion. Does seem apex has ninja 8.5 in stock a lot more often though.

Greg Massey

You know i have killed a lot of gobblers through-out my life and if i don't kill another one that's just fine. I have to admit i got all wrapped up in the TSS shells and for sub gauge guns they are the shell to use. BUT looking back over my turkey hunting career i can only remember one time that i would have needed a TSS loaded shell. I have killed a bunch of turkeys with good old patience and Federal 12 ga. 3 inch 2 oz no. 5 ... Now don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking TSS at all fine shells for killing turkeys but to this day I've only used them in a 410 but i do have them in 20 ga shells.   After seeing Remington coming on the market with TSS and prices in my opinion that are ridiculous we have to ask ourselves are these really needed. Just my opinion. BUT again i feel you needed to BUY what you think you will need in being successful in hunting these gobblers.  TSS , GUNS , CALLS etc...  To answer your question NO 9 or 9.5

scootac

Stopped at a gun shop this morning and happened to see these TSS shells. They were 12 gauge.....but a box of 5 was $70!!!!!!!!
That is just stupid crazy!!!!!
For that price, they should be heat-seeking pellets that dress and cook the turkey for me!!!!
Reading more and more on this forum......between scopes on shotguns and $14 shells......I wonder if I even belong here.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: scootac on December 27, 2022, 12:04:12 PM
Stopped at a gun shop this morning and happened to see these TSS shells. They were 12 gauge.....but a box of 5 was $70!!!!!!!!
That is just stupid crazy!!!!!
For that price, they should be heat-seeking pellets that dress and cook the turkey for me!!!!
Reading more and more on this forum......between scopes on shotguns and $14 shells......I wonder if I even belong here.
Everyone hunts with what suits them.  No pressure from folks here to do it any way but your way.  These shells are expensive but I didn't have to buy five different chokes to find a good pattern.  With all I spend on travel and licenses, the shells are a cheap part of my spring each year. 
Shoot what works for you. Amd yes, if you are a turkey addict, you belong here. 

jhoward11

Looks like I can now use 9-10's in Indiana. I think I'll use up my 7.5's for my 20g before switching to 9's. I agree, shoot what you want. Just cause I don't agree, doesn't make it right or wrong. Some of the best hunts I remember, I walked back to the truck with just my gun. I enjoy beating him at his own game. Not going to shoot a mile to kill a bird...that's no fun! And yes...some times he wins hung up out there. But guess what? I get to go tomorrow now:)

Yoder409

8.5............ 9...........9.5.........

Take your pick.

Like many have already mentioned, you're gonna get monster patterns from any of the three.  WAY sufficient for turkey killin' to 40 yards.   I'm still using old skool Federal Heavy 7's and will be, very likely, 'til I'm too old and dead to hunt anymore.  They just, flat kill turkeys.  The loads you are considering will give better patterns than what I'm getting, so..............

Eeny, meeny, miney, moe................
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Happy

I like the #8.5's in tss and the federal heviweight in #7 for my 20 guages. For 12 gauge, I just use some leftover hevishot #6's or lead #5's. I prefer more thump than super high pellet counts at the ranges I shoot.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

BDeal

Quote from: Yoder409 on December 27, 2022, 03:24:23 PM
8.5............ 9...........9.5.........

Take your pick.

Like many have already mentioned, you're gonna get monster patterns from any of the three.  WAY sufficient for turkey killin' to 40 yards.   I'm still using old skool Federal Heavy 7's and will be, very likely, 'til I'm too old and dead to hunt anymore.  They just, flat kill turkeys.  The loads you are considering will give better patterns than what I'm getting, so..............

Eeny, meeny, miney, moe................

If I could still get the heavyweight #7's I would never switch. I'm running out and that's why I'm switching.

Tail Feathers

Same here.  I'm down to about 15 rounds of the HW 7's.  Sure wish they would bring them back.

ChesterCopperpot

Definitely #9s, particularly in the sub gauges. They're lethal well beyond ethical ranges and no reason at all to sacrifice any pellet count in the lighter loads. It might not be but 30-50 extra pellets but I want them. I do use Ninjas in my 12ga but primarily because I can typically get my hands on them consistently whereas the standard #9s can be hard to track down at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk