OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who uses a scope?

Started by chadly, December 23, 2022, 12:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeybutt

It all comes down to you using what's comfortable for you depending on your visual restrictions and/or limitations. I myself use both scope and red/green dots.
Go with what is best for you!

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Quote from: Turkeybutt on December 23, 2022, 05:44:40 PM
It all comes down to you using what's comfortable for you depending on your visual restrictions and/or limitations. I myself use both scope and red/green dots.
Go with what is best for you!

Well put my friend...
"Solo hunter"

Turkeybutt

Tom I get a little wood on the ball every now and then!

scootac

Quote from: Greg Massey on December 23, 2022, 03:35:01 PM

Why use a scope gun for squirrel hunting? I used a homemade slingshot with buck shot for squirrel hunting and a sharp stick and knife for deer hunting :TooFunny:.
Because I can't make those 378 yd head shots with open sights like I used too......and the squirrel's heads aren't getting any bigger!!!

the Ward

I've been using a scope on one of my guns. It's a dusk till dawn model made by Bushnell.
It has 6" of eye relief, so i can mount it with the eyepiece even with end of receiver, which makes it nice.
1.75x4 power I think it is, and i just leave it at 1.75 and it is almost like open sights, and the circle x
cross hairs work very well for a turkeys head. I would say only drawback is it does add a little weight, but it is minimal. No batteries to worry about. And i mounted the scope with traditional weaver rings to
a low rail, so i can detach it easily, even in the field if necessary with a coin. I have removed and replaced it and it has returned to zero. I think a scope works very well up close when the pattern is still super tight, like a red dot does, and it doesn't cover up the bird like open sights or a bead can. I actually rather hunt with a bead, as I like simple, but a lot of guns just won't shoot dead on with tight chokes and loads. red-dots are probably the best, but i have an astigmatism that makes them a blob, and my eyesight isn't what it was, so I will take all the help i can get!

Loyalist84

The past two seasons I used a 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest on my turkey gun. I originally mounted it to pull duty in deer season with slugs, but the POA worked well enough that I could shoot turkey loads through it without any adjustment. While I would have preferred a slightly lower magnification for my actual shooting I didn't feel the 3 power hampered me that much, even at distances under 10 yards. The other part I really appreciated was the ability to forego binoculars. Turn the scope up to 9 power and I could ID birds, assess beard length and do anything else I would have used binos for, without carrying them slung around my neck. My next turkey gun, though, is rocking a hi-vis bead sight. Doesn't mean I'd turn down a 1-4 optic or something similar, but finding a saddle mount for a Mag-10 isn't the easiest thing on earth!

PaLmbHngr

I have an older Pentax light seeker 2.5 on my 870 and it works great.

Tom007

Quote from: PaLmbHngr on December 23, 2022, 11:03:09 PM
I have an older Pentax light seeker 2.5 on my 870 and it works great.

One of the best Turkey Scopes ever made. I had one years ago, a buddy convinced me to sell it. I regret that one.....
"Solo hunter"

chadly

The red dot scope I have is one of the first red dots to came out.  The dot is rather large.  Its roughly 25 years old.  I like using a scope for turkey.  There have been times when one boogers on me and I cant get the scope on him and off he goes.  Where if I was bead pointing my upland point and click experience would have got me the bird.  So going to an actual scope I think will take longer to aim and shoot.  I bought the kids a red/green dot for their youth 20 gage years ago and I like it very much.  I thought of going that route.  I just wondered what an actual scope would be like.  I like the clarity of a scope.  Also there have been days that the red dot and the red waddles combine.  I've actually moved the dot off of the bird to see the dot then back on.  If I go red dot again it will be one with green and other options.  Thanks for the reply's.  Merry Christmas to you all.

1iagobblergetter

You have one of the best scopes for Turkeys imo. I love those and the old nikon turkey 1×4's..
Sight it in and you'll love it!

eggshell

Quote from: chadly on December 24, 2022, 08:56:42 AM
The red dot scope I have is one of the first red dots to came out.  The dot is rather large.  Its roughly 25 years old.  I like using a scope for turkey.  There have been times when one boogers on me and I cant get the scope on him and off he goes.  Where if I was bead pointing my upland point and click experience would have got me the bird.  So going to an actual scope I think will take longer to aim and shoot.  I bought the kids a red/green dot for their youth 20 gage years ago and I like it very much.  I thought of going that route.  I just wondered what an actual scope would be like.  I like the clarity of a scope.  Also there have been days that the red dot and the red waddles combine.  I've actually moved the dot off of the bird to see the dot then back on.  If I go red dot again it will be one with green and other options.  Thanks for the reply's.  Merry Christmas to you all.

You are correct, a scope will cost you birds. Mobile birds are hard to pick up and keep in a scope. They add weight also. I do not see a day I will ever use a scope for shotgun turkey hunting. A crossbow, yes. My buddy uses a scope and over 40+ years of hunting together I bet I have witnessed his scope costing him 20-25 birds, and of those I have killed probably half of them as they were on their way out after he failed to "get on them".

WildTigerTrout

I have several dedicated turkey rigs. Two are scoped, two have red dots, one has fiber optic open sights and the last has double beads.  I use them all.  Nothing wrong with scopes as long as they are zeroed properly and practiced with a bit before using them in the field. I have killed the most turkeys with red dot sights but have no qualms hunting with a scoped turkey rig. Keep the power low say 1 to about 4 and you are in the right ballpark.  My favorite is my Leupold VX I 1 x 4 20mm Shotgun scope on my Benelli Nova 20 ga.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Tom007

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on December 25, 2022, 06:22:55 PM
I have several dedicated turkey rigs. Two are scoped, two have red dots, one has fiber optic open sights and the last has double beads.  I use them all.  Nothing wrong with scopes as long as they are zeroed properly and practiced with a bit before using them in the field. I have killed the most turkeys with red dot sights but have no qualms hunting with a scoped turkey rig. Keep the power low say 1 to about 4 and you are in the right ballpark.  My favorite is my Leupold VX I 1 x 4 20mm Shotgun scope on my Benelli Nova 20 ga.

That's a perfect scope for Turkey......
"Solo hunter"

WildTigerTrout

I agree Tom007.  I looked around for quite some time until I found mine.  I keep my eyes and ears out for these shotgun scopes! The new Freedom Series Leupold's even the low power variables are rifle scopes and parallax adjusted for 150 yards. The older Leupold shotgun scopes are adjusted for 75 yards.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!