turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who uses a scope?

Started by chadly, December 23, 2022, 12:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadly

NO red dot but actual scope is what I'm looking for.  Pros and cons from those who have done it.  I've been using a red dot on designated turkey gun for over a decade (Remington 870).  I've got a gun that I won at pheasants forever banquet probably 15 years ago that I have never used (berretta a390).  Thinking of putting an actual scope on it and it will be my new turkey gun.  I have a luepold 1x4 that I could put on it.  What are your thoughts to an actual scope?
Chad

scootac

Why do you want or need one?

Tail Feathers

Pros would be accuracy and enhanced view if needed.
Cons would be the extra weight and you have to be able to get in a solid shooting position to make a good shot. 
I've made a few shots from awkward positions and quite a few left handed.  The red dot is a good thing in those situations.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Greg Massey

I have used mainly scopes for years, but i also use Green circle dot / red dot .... Scopes are really nice and have a range finding capability with the circle plex and diamond reticles. Scopes are good for people who have some eye sight problems especially for some of us older hunters.  Nothing wrong with using a scope. It's all a matter of what you need in having a successful hunt.  IMO ... If you want to try one i suggest you give it a try, you might be surprised. Sure it will add a little more weight to your gun, more so than a green/red dot ...  Just don't ask me how many turkey guns i have ... :TooFunny:

scootac

How far are people shooting that they need a scope on a shotgun to kill a turkey???
Yes.....I use a scope on my CZ .17 HMR for squirrels and on my deer rifle.....but can't ever see the need for one on the Mossberg 500.

Tom007

I use both Red Dot and scopes. I have a Leopold 1x4 VX Gold Ring on my Bottomland 870. I love it. Great field of view, quick acquisition, and dead center pattern. I think you will love a scoped Turkey gun. The important thing is make sure you use very solid rings, the new Turkey loads produce nasty recoil. I use Burris Tactical Rings on all my shotguns. Here is a pic of one of my scope set-ups. They all use the Burris Rings, they are solid and never move. Best of luck....
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Quote from: scootac on December 23, 2022, 03:23:21 PM
How far are people shooting that they need a scope on a shotgun to kill a turkey???
Yes.....I use a scope on my CZ .17 HMR for squirrels and on my deer rifle.....but can't ever see the need for one on the Mossberg 500.

It's not a matter of distance with a scope. I am 62, have had some eye surgeries and enjoy the clarity and precision of using a scope. I harvest all my birds 35 yards on in. When I was young, I used the beads and rifled sights. Unfortunately nature changed my ability to use open sights. Red dots and scopes give me 100% confidence with my shots.....be safe, Happy Holidays...
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

Quote from: scootac on December 23, 2022, 03:23:21 PM
Why use a scope gun for squirrel hunting? I used a homemade slingshot with buck shot for squirrel hunting and a sharp stick and knife for deer hunting :TooFunny:.   

joey46

I have used a 4x scope.  Always considered it a trade off.  Very good for a well planned shot.  Not so good for a quick spur of the moment encounter.  No longer use one for turkey.   I'm 76 and last season took 2 with an open sighted 870 12 ga and one with a red dotted 410.  Within 30 yards everything works. I often use at least one decoy normally paced at 25 yards.  The older I get the closer I like them.  I have been blessed with both private and public opportunities.  Good luck.

deathfoot

I recently purchased a Leupold VX Freedom 1.5-4x 20 mm, pig plex. I had it hydro dipped to match my SBE3. I have yet to Mount it and get it dialed in but I can't wait to do so. It looks totally BA.

My friend has used a scope for years and swears by it. I was going with a red dot but after much research I decided on the scope even if it adds an extra pound or two.

My reasoning was the ability to lock in the zero, also, for the ability to see the target better as eye sight deteriorates over time. My research on red dots vs scopes lead me to believe that in low light and heavy brush situations...can't go wrong with the scope.

Tom007

Quote from: deathfoot on December 23, 2022, 04:57:54 PM
I recently purchased a Leupold VX Freedom 1.5-4x 20 mm, pig plex. I had it hydro dipped to match my SBE3. I have yet to Mount it and get it dialed in but I can't wait to do so. It looks totally BA.

My friend has used a scope for years and swears by it. I was going with a red dot but after much research I decided on the scope even if it adds an extra pound or two.

My reasoning was the ability to lock in the zero, also, for the ability to see the target better as eye sight deteriorates over time. My research on red dots vs scopes lead me to believe that in low light and heavy brush situations...can't go wrong with the scope.

Gonna be a great set-up......good luck with it...
"Solo hunter"

deathfoot

Gonna be a great set-up......good luck with it...

Thank you. I can't wait.

Wigsplitter

The scope on a turkey has nothing to do with shooting distance and mostly to do with failing or worsening eyesight and also being able to adjust POA to POI . Also no batteries or reaching up to turn on - I know they have come a long ways on batteries and shake awake and such but I prefer a scope- I put a scope on my dedicated turkey gun when I couldn't line the front bead back sight and turkeys head up all at the same time!! Haven't looked back - my advice is go with a 1.5 to 4 and keep it on the lowest setting-4 power was a bit much and could be deceiving in the field - like mentioned get good rings and you should have no problem dialing it in - I liked mine so much I immediately bought a backup just in case. Watch eBay as most major scope manufacturers have quit making the dedicated turkey scope - look Simmons - bushnell- leupold- good luck!!

3bailey3

Tom007

Quote from: Wigsplitter on December 23, 2022, 05:30:56 PM
The scope on a turkey has nothing to do with shooting distance and mostly to do with failing or worsening eyesight and also being able to adjust POA to POI . Also no batteries or reaching up to turn on - I know they have come a long ways on batteries and shake awake and such but I prefer a scope- I put a scope on my dedicated turkey gun when I couldn't line the front bead back sight and turkeys head up all at the same time!! Haven't looked back - my advice is go with a 1.5 to 4 and keep it on the lowest setting-4 power was a bit much and could be deceiving in the field - like mentioned get good rings and you should have no problem dialing it in - I liked mine so much I immediately bought a backup just in case. Watch eBay as most major scope manufacturers have quit making the dedicated turkey scope - look Simmons - bushnell- leupold- good luck!!

Amen my friend, well put......
"Solo hunter"