OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wing bone calls

Started by jhoward11, December 20, 2022, 11:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhoward11

I bought a wing bone call from a local guy, who was doing this on the side. I have been using a little bit, and can make descent calls. My question is....is there any secrets to using, or is it just a matter of practice makes perfect? Does the maker make a difference, or are they all pretty much made the same way and look different? Would love to try one this coming spring. Thx

davisd9

Practice, practice, practice. No short cuts to it
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ol bob

Practice,practice,practice, then practice some more, there is a difference in makers, but starting out you want notice the difference.

crow

They are not all put together the same way,
In my opinion there can be a big difference in ease of play from one put together and tuned correctly compared to one just stuck together.

If your starting out you'll have an easier time learning on a properly tuned one, just like you would with a trumpet from a maker who has his internals figured out compared to a trumpet somebody just drilled some different size holes thru it.

search the old threads on here for trumpet instruction on youtube, any of that will help you with learning the wingbone

Muzzy61

Quote from: jhoward11 on December 20, 2022, 11:03:03 AM
I bought a wing bone call from a local guy, who was doing this on the side. I have been using a little bit, and can make descent calls. My question is....is there any secrets to using, or is it just a matter of practice makes perfect? Does the maker make a difference, or are they all pretty much made the same way and look different? Would love to try one this coming spring. Thx

Practice and practice some more.

I bought one last year, first one I've owned. I practiced for a week and I thought it sounded horrible. Took it to the woods and set up a bird that 3 different people ( including me) had been working over the last month.  I tried everything I had in my vest and no answer. Said what the heck pulled out the wing bone and he answered it and only it. Called him in from two hens and killed him. Apparently he thought it sounded ok.

I will say they sound much different from a distance then they do up close.

Have fun and good luck with it.

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

guesswho

Practice, practice, practice, with a good wingbone.  Mark Sharpe and EZ are two that come to mind.  I have ine from Mark Sharpe that Inwould be heartbroken if something ever happened to it.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Dtrkyman

I made my first handful of them last spring, called in and killed a bird the first morning using one.  I love the sound of them but I am limited to yelps, clucks and sort of cuts.

Made 7 or 8 of them and most sounded good but a couple not so much, now I have been thinking of all the wasted wing bones over the years!

troutfisher13111

Practice, listen to real hens, practice, listen, practice, listen, practice, listen, practice, then listen some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

First remember to turn the open end of the wingbone in the direction of your chest and practice. I know some think it's to turn the open end of the wingbone out away from your chest... Just a tip...

Dtrkyman

Greg do you mean curved downward instead of upward?

silvestris

Perfect practice.  It will come.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

wchadw

Look on YouTube. Curtis Terrell had a pretty good one I think? It was how to run a wingbone specifically

And yes there's a difference in the calls from different makers. EZ makes an excellent wingbone
Mark sharpe does as well. There are others but those are only ones I've used

jhoward11

I may try to find one from a reputable maker. The one's mentioned here... EZ, Sharpe, will they be at the NWTF this Feb.? Or do we have a sponsor on this sight that I can support? Looks like I'm going to be driving my wife crazy with practice.

davisd9

Quote from: Dtrkyman on December 20, 2022, 09:45:31 PM
Greg do you mean curved downward instead of upward?

That is a preference as it really makes no difference.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

wchadw

Quote from: jhoward11 on December 21, 2022, 01:38:39 PM
I may try to find one from a reputable maker. The one's mentioned here... EZ, Sharpe, will they be at the NWTF this Feb.? Or do we have a sponsor on this sight that I can support? Looks like I'm going to be driving my wife crazy with practice.
Probably be at Unicoi in January