News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Strikers for crystal pot calls

Started by packmule, June 18, 2011, 10:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packmule

Hi All,

First off, this is my first post on the site, although I've been watching it for a while now.  Thanks for all the great information you provide.

I primarily use crystal pot calls when hunting, and one of my off season goals is to invest in a couple new strikers. . . .I currently have been using a purple heart (Primos) and the kee kee striker (Primos). 

I was hoping to get some good advice about some strikers that you know work well with crystal. . .I guess I'd be looking for wood type, and manufacturer.

Thanks in advance.

pappy

any straight open grained wood will work well on crystal, anything that works well on glass with do the same on the crystal. I have seen bocote strikers with crystal as well as laminated strikers so the range is endless.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

doepee

I like persimmon and yellowheart, and a cocobolo ivory tipped striker.. I also have a zebrawood that sounds pretty good on some glass crystal calls.. you almost just have to play a few some sound good some don't

GSLAM95

You can never have too many strikers so I suggest trying to have a spectrum of soft and hardwood strikers.  My favorite striker personally is a Harold Fowler w/Ivory tip.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

Gobble Nole

I just received some strikers from Wendell at Lights Out Calls and they are great.  I am new to the site as well but wanted to do some research and pick out a grain that would serve me well on glass and crystal. 

Lights Out Strikers come in a variety of woods and you can get them by giving him a call or looking on his website. 

I ordered bubinga, yellowheart, black locust, persimmon, and a diamond wood striker for my aluminum call.  I am very satisfied with the product and the only other thing I would want will probably be some type of ivory tipped striker. 

ncturkey

I have a Tulipwood striker that sounds great of crystal calls. But my favorite striker for my bronzed glass and crystal calls is a custom lamiated striker made of walnut,paduck,ebony,osage. here is a picture of both.                                                                                                           

savduck

I like a hickory, Apitung, or massacar ebony with a heavy top and straight tip.
Georgia Boy

4nwtf

packmule

All,

Sorry it's been a few days since I've been able to get back to this.  Thank you all for your input. . . I now have some great leads.  Your information is really appreciated.  Hopefully I can provide you each with good information on turkey-related topics in the future as well.