OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cutting Stalks (Not a Tool Guy)

Started by Sir-diealot, September 28, 2022, 04:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Flopper

Why not just pull them out by hand? Assuming your not trying to deforest the field and just a picture location.  No money involved, don't have to cover any more ground, good exercise. Easier if done after a good rain.

Parrot Head

Thats a lot of work.  If you have 4 wheeler ride over then or pull a skid behind it to knock them down.   Or use your truck tires to knock them down or hooked skid or weight down piece of hog panel fence to knock them down.

btodd00

a neighborhood kid with a good attitude and a push mower could probably make short work of it for 25 bucks

you can also put pvc over the handles of your shears to make extensions

Greg Massey

Maybe you will get lucky and hopefully he planted beans this year ...

silvestris

After all the work to clean it up, how do you get them to come back to the spot and get them to pose for you?
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

jhoward11

If the bending over thing is the problem, I would agree with something on the end of trimmer, riding mower if you can get it there. You can probably rent some type of mower that would take them down,  Or a higher seat, and not worry about them.lol

WV Flopper

Those are nice pictures. BUT, Honestly, I would just kill them, then take a bloody picture. I like my hand around their leg, it doesn't count to me until my hand is around their leg. Then, I can take all the pictures I want.

Maybe your trying to sell pictures, to each their own. I eat turkey.

crow

Quote from: silvestris on September 30, 2022, 11:52:29 AM
After all the work to clean it up, how do you get them to come back to the spot and get them to pose for you?

deluxe double row corn trench

crow

Quote from: crow on September 30, 2022, 04:01:17 PM

deluxe double row corn trench

I draw the line at 1 trench per barrel, 3 trenches is just tacky

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Cottonmouth on September 29, 2022, 06:34:52 AM
You can get a circular saw blade for alot of different trimmers. If you already have the trimmer, the blade with the kit to install it would be way less than  $100

I do not have any kind of trimmer at this time, I was thinking on a used one with a blade as you suggest, though I would want it to be battery operated. Above I said electric, I should have said battery operated.

Quote from: bbcoach on September 29, 2022, 08:01:07 AM
I would use my Stihl weed eater with a brush blade.  A brush blade on a weed eater will make very short work of those stalks.  Most weed eaters have the option so see your local weed eater dealer, they should have a kit that will convert your string trimmer to a brush blade cutter.  Be very careful with these options though, they will take a leg off with the torque they produce.  Small pine trees up to 3 to 4 inches are NO match for this option.

Thank you for the safety warning, I do appreciate it for sure, I have enough problems with my body. Copy & past because it is faster. I do not have any kind of trimmer at this time, I was thinking on a used one with a blade as you suggest, though I would want it to be battery operated. Above I said electric, I should have said battery operated.

Quote from: tak on September 29, 2022, 11:03:22 AM
You might want to look at Hickok bypass loppers with 36" aluminum handles. They are lightweight and sell for $85 from Gemplers (online). I have used them in the woods cutting vines and invasives. Plus made in USA.

Thank you very much, I am looking into loppers, I wonder if any come kinda curved so they would be more natural to the ground? Sorry like I said, not a tool guy so I just don't know.

Quote from: captpete on September 29, 2022, 05:23:47 PM
I have one of these and it works really well on weeds. I think it would take care of the stalks for you. All you do is swing it back and forth.  They make them with longer handles also...you could possibly use both hands.

https://www.agrisupply.com/weed-cutter-handle-30307/p/24013/?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=NB_PLA_AllProducts_BING&msclkid=4b212344ee99152decd84072e544eb96

I have seen those though I have never used one, do they work pretty much like a Sythe as far as the motion goes? It would seem so. Thank you.

Quote from: WV Flopper on September 29, 2022, 07:02:38 PM
Why not just pull them out by hand? Assuming your not trying to deforest the field and just a picture location.  No money involved, don't have to cover any more ground, good exercise. Easier if done after a good rain.

I have been in a few car accidents, my back is pretty much hammered, so doing it that way simply won't work for me. I should mention I have a very hard time walking in plowed fields ever before my car accidents.  I thank you for the idea though.

Quote from: Parrot Head on September 30, 2022, 09:16:22 AM
Thats a lot of work.  If you have 4 wheeler ride over then or pull a skid behind it to knock them down.   Or use your truck tires to knock them down or hooked skid or weight down piece of hog panel fence to knock them down.

The area I set up in at the bottom side anyway is at the bottom of a field at the bottom of a hill, unless it is incredibly dry I prefer not to drive on the field as I do not want to cause ruts or get stuck. I would very much like to own a 4wheeler but I would rather have a better lens for the camera. I also have the problem with the latter part of your idea of my back, I can't lift many heavy items anymore. I thank you for the ideas though.

Quote from: btodd00 on September 30, 2022, 09:48:38 AM
a neighborhood kid with a good attitude and a push mower could probably make short work of it for 25 bucks

you can also put pvc over the handles of your shears to make extensions

I am not allowed to bring anybody on the property, I would be kicked out never to return on the spot and I would not blame them. The most I can do is pull into the one part of the driveway and take a leak and my passenger has to stay in the vehicle if I have one. Handles are a possibility.

Will reply more after dinner.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on September 30, 2022, 09:56:41 AM
Maybe you will get lucky and hopefully he planted beans this year ...

That would be nice, I just home he does not plant that corn silage again, made the hunting horrible 2 years ago.

I'm a master caller don't cha know?

Quote from: jhoward11 on September 30, 2022, 12:17:32 PM
If the bending over thing is the problem, I would agree with something on the end of trimmer, riding mower if you can get it there. You can probably rent some type of mower that would take them down,  Or a higher seat, and not worry about them.lol

Thanks for the reply. With it not being my property I can't really take much onto it, they have a tractor but they don't seem to like to use it much or I would ask them to do it, they mostly till their garden above and cut grass with a bush hog. Before you say it that field is full of rocks and I would not want to take the bush hog into it either to be honest, good way to bend a blade.

Quote from: WV Flopper on September 30, 2022, 02:35:42 PM
Those are nice pictures. BUT, Honestly, I would just kill them, then take a bloody picture. I like my hand around their leg, it doesn't count to me until my hand is around their leg. Then, I can take all the pictures I want.

Maybe your trying to sell pictures, to each their own. I eat turkey.

To me I want the picture of them alive, it is easy to get good pictures of dead ones. I will tell you I got the shakes and excitement when they came out for the camera (also for the gun if I so chose) every bit as much as I do when they come out for the gun. I turned away a lot of shots last year with the gun, I am very happy with the shots with the camera. The big trick is trying to get shots with both! I did pull up on a few turkey after taking their picture just for the practice of holding still. I have been offered money for my landscape pictures, not for my wildlife shots though. I do not feel I am good enough and to be honest a better quality lens would be a big help as well as a better quality camera though I still have to do everything right when trying to take the pictures as I shoot in manual mode. I eat turkey as well, but I think I enjoy taking pictures every bit as much and the memory of them is there to share with a camera.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Parrot Head

Very nice of you to take the time to answer everyone.

the Ward

When we used to open up the fields for the corn picker we would cut the stalks down with a corn knife. It's just a machete with a flat end. Don't know if that would work with your back. If you go after a lot of rain you could just use a sharp hoe and dig it right out if you can't bend to pull it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WV Flopper

Nice pictures sell. May e frame a few you like and take to local restaurants.

They can hang on their wall with a price tag to buy. I see them in my area regularly and they do sell.

Guy up the road here from the house did it for years and I am sure he made money doing it. He also was a tax man that had his own tax business so was just doing it for a hobby. But, a hobby that paid.

Local small family owned restaurants, maybe your not into that but something to think about.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Parrot Head on October 04, 2022, 05:17:56 PM
Very nice of you to take the time to answer everyone.
I try very hard to be polite to everyone, I do not always succeed but I do try.

Quote from: the Ward on October 04, 2022, 07:41:21 PM
When we used to open up the fields for the corn picker we would cut the stalks down with a corn knife. It's just a machete with a flat end. Don't know if that would work with your back. If you go after a lot of rain you could just use a sharp hoe and dig it right out if you can't bend to pull it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even before my car accidents I had a hard time walking in a plowed field, my ankles tend to roll and now with the bad knees and everything else I have to be careful, I fear doing it in the mud would make it much worse as the type of soil there is rather rich and would really suck you feet in and trap them. I know it sounds like I am being whiny in the thread, but I just have to be careful, I don't want to loose hunting again like I did after my last car accident for 17 years.

Quote from: WV Flopper on October 04, 2022, 07:51:09 PM
Nice pictures sell. May e frame a few you like and take to local restaurants.

They can hang on their wall with a price tag to buy. I see them in my area regularly and they do sell.

Guy up the road here from the house did it for years and I am sure he made money doing it. He also was a tax man that had his own tax business so was just doing it for a hobby. But, a hobby that paid.

Local small family owned restaurants, maybe your not into that but something to think about.

I thank you very much, I do not feel my wildlife shots are good enough to try to sell just yet, my landscapes are much better. The top photo is the shot that I took that got me interested in landscape.

You can see many of my pictures here, if you start from old to new you can see how I have progressed though I still have a lot to learn. https://www.viewbug.com/member/Sir-diealot

John Koenig: