turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cutting Stalks (Not a Tool Guy)

Started by Sir-diealot, September 28, 2022, 04:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

As you see in these pictures they could have looked much better if the stalks were not there, I am looking for a way to cut them other than my pruning sheers with the long handle (Can't recall what they are called, like I said, not a tool guy) I was hoping to find something that will not force me to bend or not be heavy because of my back and balance, are there any suggestions? Oh I would like to go electric if possible. (if needed) Thank you for any help. Oh I would like to spend less than $100.00 if possible, so I know I will have to buy used. By the way, that's the bronze I chased all season long, I guess I should have been saying more copper than bronze.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tom007

Here you are Steve. These sheers will cut those like butter. You can get them at Home Depot, I don't recall how much they were. They are made by Fiskars. Hope this helps...

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Tom007 on September 28, 2022, 05:47:16 PM
Here you are Steve. These sheers will cut those like butter. You can get them at Home Depot, I don't recall how much they were. They are made by Fiskars. Hope this helps...
Thanks Tom, are they made with a longer handle? Falling is something I really do worry about and it is getting worse for me, I was hoping for something that I could stand more upright with to lessen the likelihood of falling. I have these but again I don't want to bend much.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Tom007

Hi Steve. Hope all is well. The Fiskars are not as long as your pruners. You would have to bend. Did you ever consider a small sickle? I will get you a pic, you could pretty much stand upright with a sickle..

Zobo

Corona, Thanos and others make extendable handle loppers. I like these because the handles retract from 41" to 26" so they are easy to carry and extend to almost 4 feet so you won't have to bend down at all.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Tom007

Quote from: Zobo on September 28, 2022, 08:53:24 PM
Corona, Thanos and others make extendable handle loppers. I like these because the handles retract from 41" to 26" so they are easy to carry and extend to almost 4 feet so you won't have to bend down at all.

Better idea. Great info...

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Tom007 on September 28, 2022, 08:48:15 PM
Hi Steve. Hope all is well. The Fiskars are not as long as your pruners. You would have to bend. Did you ever consider a small sickle? I will get you a pic, you could pretty much stand upright with a sickle..
Yes I went looking at those the other day, technically that is a Sythe not a sickle, but that is me being the nitpicker I am, I hate when people call antlers horns too. Anyway I can't believe how incredibly expensive they are, they were a dime a dozen when I was a kid. It was my first thought until I saw the prices, then I figured I could get something electric just as cheap. Thank you much for the idea.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Zobo on September 28, 2022, 08:53:24 PM
I will try to find those for sure. Thank you.

John Koenig:

Tom007

Quote from: Sir-diealot on September 28, 2022, 09:16:00 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on September 28, 2022, 08:48:15 PM
Yes I went looking at those the other day, technically that is a Sythe not a sickle, but that is me being the nitpicker I am, I hate when people call antlers horns too. Anyway I can't believe how incredibly expensive they are, they were a dime a dozen when I was a kid. It was my first thought until I saw the prices, then I figured I could get something electric just as cheap. Thank you much for the idea.

You bet Steve...

crow

Sir-diealot

Quote from: crow on September 28, 2022, 11:49:50 PM
a weed whacker would cut corn stalks
Did not think the plastic line would do it.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

John Koenig:

Cottonmouth

You can get a circular saw blade for alot of different trimmers. If you already have the trimmer, the blade with the kit to install it would be way less than  $100

bbcoach

I would use my Stihl weed eater with a brush blade.  A brush blade on a weed eater will make very short work of those stalks.  Most weed eaters have the option so see your local weed eater dealer, they should have a kit that will convert your string trimmer to a brush blade cutter.  Be very careful with these options though, they will take a leg off with the torque they produce.  Small pine trees up to 3 to 4 inches are NO match for this option.

tak

You might want to look at Hickok bypass loppers with 36" aluminum handles. They are lightweight and sell for $85 from Gemplers (online). I have used them in the woods cutting vines and invasives. Plus made in USA.

captpete

I have one of these and it works really well on weeds. I think it would take care of the stalks for you. All you do is swing it back and forth.  They make them with longer handles also...you could possibly use both hands.

https://www.agrisupply.com/weed-cutter-handle-30307/p/24013/?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=NB_PLA_AllProducts_BING&msclkid=4b212344ee99152decd84072e544eb96