OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Would you???

Started by jhoward11, September 12, 2022, 04:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhoward11

I'm going to be taking a first time hunter in the woods next season. It's my sister-in-law. Would you let her shoot a Jake if it came through? I really like to shoot Tom's off the property, but if it keeps her interested in Turkey hunting, I may let her take whatever comes through. Thoughts?

guesswho

Absolutely.   If she wanted to shoot one I'd tell her to drop the hammer and be proud.   And pictures would go in my album without shame.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

randy6471

Yes sir. You both will remember it forever.

Dtrkyman

100% her call if I were taking her.  Keep that in mind, my wife turkey hunted very little but had no interest in shooting jakes so she didn't.

Keep it simple.

Greg Massey

Agree, it's all about her decision ... shoot or don't shoot....  regardless you both will make some fun memories

Wigsplitter

Let her shoot if she wants too- will be a memory neither one will forget!!

tal

Shoot first and ask questions later...   :agreed:

CAPTJJ

First time hunter... definitely.

zelmo1

I guess I will repeat the others, her choice but shooting jakes is a personal preferance. My rule is that I dont shoot them, but if it was my grandchild and we could double, I wouldnt hesitate. Its the hunt and the memories for me. Plus, they are " bird veal", lol. Z

Turkeybutt

Yes! Get her involved and a taste for it. After that first one is in the book then she can be more selective.

JeffC

if your property holds lots of birds and you have a management plan going, explain the situation to her, her choice. 1st hunt I would pass on jake, 2nd hunt and things are tough, shoot the jake. But like others have said, if you call a jake in and he plays like a Tom, shoot him like a Tom. 
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

silvestris

It is her hunt and, if legal, it should be her call.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Muzzy61

100% would let her shoot a jake if you would like too.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

callmakerman

Quote from: jhoward11 on September 12, 2022, 04:54:59 PM
I'm going to be taking a first time hunter in the woods next season. It's my sister-in-law. Would you let her shoot a Jake if it came through? I really like to shoot Tom's off the property, but if it keeps her interested in Turkey hunting, I may let her take whatever comes through. Thoughts?
This is a talk that you need to have with her. Ask her feelings and if she want to shoot a jake then welcome it with open arms. The smile on her face in the end will make it all worthwhile. Then to commemorate the hunt you have some great wing bones for making calls from. I did this for my daughter's boyfriend and he and I could not have been happier in the end. Awesome hunt and two wing bones made up by two different call makers.