Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkeys and Hogs, What's Your Experience?

Started by FLGobstopper, September 08, 2022, 10:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLGobstopper

https://deerassociation.com/to-hear-more-gobblers-stop-the-squeal/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=08-25-2022

I have a good amount of personal experience here in FL and also in GA. In my experience I have definitely seen a fluctuation down in turkey pop when hog pop has noticeably increased. Not saying it's the #1 thing but I strongly believe they're another limiting factor. I also believe they dang sure can become a nuisance and while occasionally fun to hunt have become much more of a burden than an animal I look forward to seeing here in the southeast.

NCL

On the property I hunt there seems to be a correlation between hogs and turkey numbers. I started hunting this property about 15 years ago and there were always several gobblers sounding off in the early morning. I do not remember seeing much hog sign but it is probably bad memory. With that said over the last 8 to 10 years have seen hogs and definitely their rooting sign. Along with this increased number of hogs and sign it seems the number of turkeys have gone down. I only recall seeing one hen last year and heard none at fist light whereas in past years we often heard a good number at fist light. I have also noticed a decrease in the number of gobblers. This year I only heard two gobblers and no hens. One morning I did not hear any birds which is a first on this property. I also saw hos on each visit including 7 in a group and three sows with about 20 to 30 little ones.   

guesswho

I have more than my fair share on my property in Alabama. I'm sure they have an affect on the turkey population, not sure how much of an impact though. What puzzles me is I grew up in central Florida in the 60's to the early 90's. The woods were infested with hogs, and yet we had no shortage of turkeys either. Some of the best turkey hunting I've ever experienced was late 60's to early 80's. I'm all for the eradication of hogs, but I'm not convinced they are a huge factor in what's going on with the turkeys. I do eliminate every hog I get a chance to though. They are so destructive.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

silvestris

Kill them all, and then some more.  They are all vermin.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Gobbler428

If you have hogs you might as well forget planting chufa in your food plots 

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

FL-Boss

There is nothing in the Florida woods that "helps" turkeys. With that said, I believe the hogs are more at the bottom of the list. Not sure they are worse than everything else in the woods.   In N. Florida.. we have everything that is bad for turkeys, and a lot more of it in the last 20 years. We used to never see any yotes, foxes, bobcats, or bears...commonplace now.   To me, it's truly an act of God that any nest can make it all the way to hatch. Those must be some mean a$$ hens sitting guard...

btodd00

I have a lease in north Florida that is and always has been infested with hogs (we have had same tracts leased for 30 years), also has always had plenty of turkeys, deer and bears

Ive heard many times in my life that that hogs and deer dont mix but I have never found that to be the case on our property, wouldn't hurt my feelings to not have any though. Im sure the bears enjoy snacking on them

Greg Massey

I like pork sausage and fried turkey myself ...

dirtnap

I've killed a bunch of turkeys in hog infested places.  Not sure that hogs are a big problem for turkeys.  I'm sure they would eat a nest if they ran up on one, but other than that, I don't see the problem.

For the record, I can't stand a hog.

FLGobstopper

Quote from: FL-Boss on September 09, 2022, 10:32:41 AM
There is nothing in the Florida woods that "helps" turkeys. With that said, I believe the hogs are more at the bottom of the list. Not sure they are worse than everything else in the woods.   In N. Florida.. we have everything that is bad for turkeys, and a lot more of it in the last 20 years. We used to never see any yotes, foxes, bobcats, or bears...commonplace now.   To me, it's truly an act of God that any nest can make it all the way to hatch. Those must be some mean a$$ hens sitting guard...

It amazes me a well! I often wonder how we even have them with so many of the crazy things they face in the FL environment. I also wonder and am puzzled how I can go to some places in neighboring states with so many other things seemingly going for them such as superior habitat, management, etc and they I've certainly seen them struggling. I agree that hogs aren't the greatest issue in FL as they pale in comparison to the rate of development, growth and habitat loss.