turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

sighting in with slug

Started by Franklin7x57, September 03, 2022, 09:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franklin7x57

I read here that a gentlemen used his gun for deer hunting and turkey with a scope. IC for slugs and turkey choke for turkeys, impact was the same. Wondering anyone has tried this? It would be nice to shoot a cheaper slug at 40 yards every year to verify instead of an TSS load.
Probably a dumb idea and I would shoot a TSS load to verify the first time, but every time after just the slug. I don't shoot a super tight pattern and it's hard for me to center the pattern.

davisd9

Buy a box of longbeard 6s and do the same without touching the choke.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

crow

Not all brands of slugs will hit to the same POI, even with a rifled slug barrel,

what you want to do would be possible, but you would have to find a slug that matches your turkey load for POI and then buy a bunch from the same lot #, even the same brand/ model of slug can change POI from lot to lot.

you could do the same thing with cheaper dove loads at a closer distance. Find a dove/field load that matches your turkey load for POI and save that box just for re-sighting in your gun

Greg Massey

Do they make cheap slugs anymore ?  I can see the reasoning behind using a slug, but i agree with crow on just using dove loads / target load at closer distance.

Franklin7x57

I use dove loads now at close range but when shooting TSS at 40 yards I'm always thinking should I go up, down left or right couple inches. The 10" circle looks ok number wise and moving it a couple inches either way really won't change the numbers in the core. I'm more interested in the 20' circle beginning right if that makes sense.

ChesterCopperpot

Loads and chokes go together on an individual basis. LBRs might not shoot anywhere close to POA with your TSS load out of the same choke, so I certainly wouldn't expect slugs out of a completely different choke to hold that point. I've patterned six or eight different turkey loads through one choke and had a different POI for every one. That to say, there are no shortcuts. Pattern the load you intend to hunt with, sight in that load, hunt that load. The bird deserves that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: davisd9 on September 03, 2022, 09:27:38 AM
Buy a box of longbeard 6s and do the same without touching the choke.
This is what I do

Franklin7x57

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on September 03, 2022, 09:10:41 PM
Loads and chokes go together on an individual basis. LBRs might not shoot anywhere close to POA with your TSS load out of the same choke, so I certainly wouldn't expect slugs out of a completely different choke to hold that point. I've patterned six or eight different turkey loads through one choke and had a different POI for every one. That to say, there are no shortcuts. Pattern the load you intend to hunt with, sight in that load, hunt that load. The bird deserves that.

I agree with the sighting in with what you hunt, I shoot every arrow with broadhead and resharpen before it goes in my quiver. My choke isn't that picky about loads, everything is 225-250 in 10", the hottest core may be off a little but still dead is dead. I'd like to make sure the 20" circle is squared up, which is harder for me.
I'll probably try it just to see. After I get the TSS like I want it, I'll shoot a slug to see. Even if it's not the same, I'd feel better at the beginning of the season shooting a slug at 40 yards that hits the same as last year than shooting a dove load at 7 yards.

Tom007

I purchased a Site-Lite laser bore sight a few years ago. It works fantastic, in fact most of the time it is dead on with slugs, and Turkey loads requiring no adjustment of the optic.  Saves a ton of money on shells. You can keep a record of all your guns, and always check zero with it if you bang or fall with your gun.....

joey46

Certainly agree the big birds deserve a clean kill.  The sighting in a scope with a few slugs through a open choke is far from an exact science but will get you very close with a turkey load after installing a tight turkey choke.  A shot or two to check pattern with the $15 a piece TSS should be a simple chore.
I'm doing the same thing with my Stevens 301 .410 with it's red dot.  Finding .410 slugs and an improved cylinder choke for this gun wasn't easy but doable.  Choke came direct from Stevens.  Slugs from one of the mail order outfits.
Good luck.

guesswho

One shot with what you're going to hunt with, and zero to center, done.  May take two people if you don't have a vice. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff