OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dang, but I wish.............

Started by Yoder409, August 27, 2022, 11:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

............wish I were seeing poults.   :(

This entire summer, I've seen a grand total of TWO poults.  They were with 3 or 4 mature hens.  I'm seeing some groups of 2 or 4 hens with no poults among them.  Seeing more mature toms and last year's jakes than anything else.

Pretty bothersome.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Roost 1

Jimspur

That's pretty sad. I've seen a few large groups, one with 3 adult hens with 15 poults, and 2 other groups I couldn't count accurately about that same
size in different locations.
I've also seen some hens with no poults, and a couple with 1 or 2 poults.

g8rvet

I don't spend the time on the road I used since I stopped seeing horses and cattle, but I have seen several groups this year in N Florida.  Saw one poult right by itself the other day along the edge of the road.  Hopefully momma and brood were in the woodline.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

WV Flopper

Have a friend spotting them regularly 60 miles to the west of me. I did see some early but have not seen any for some time. Back in mid July we had an extreme hail storm, the kind that beats roof  shingles to pieces. I am concerned that hail wiped out a lot of the poults.
Yesterday I seen two groups of turkey, I could not ID all the turkey, only six total turkey. I seen one mature Tom the rest? There were no poults.

WV Flopper

Well, I am 55 miles west of the house, didn't take long to find some. The one group I seen yesterday was four Jake's, they were out more visible this morning.

Sent from my S62 Pro using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Well, THAT'S a welcome sight !!!  Just move 'em a little closer home.......    ;D
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

nativeks

I have 1 hen with 2 poults hanging around my property. Ive also seen 2 hens with 7 poults a few miles down the road. Ive ridden 750 miles of gravel on my bike since may and that is it. Farmer buddy says he has seen zero.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

I haven't seen any poults this year.  We had an early, hot summer.  That kept me out of the woods more than usual and kept the birds in the shady woods a bit more I suspect.  It's pretty thick where I hunt and if they aren't in the road or on a pipleline when you drive by, you'll never see them.  We had a mostly dry early summer which usually means a pretty good hatch.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

captpete

I saw this group a few days ago. They are basically living in town next to the river where there is a bunch of timber.  Last falll there was a group of about 20 hens/poults and another group of 8-9 Gobblers/jakes in the same area.

Resized_20220816_091330 by K Pete, on Flickr

WV Flopper

Those turkeys I seen today are in my wheel house! Big hunting club that I hunt a lot on. Buddy seen more poults up there today as well.

Looking good for the next two springs unless something goes haywire. Those turkeys up there are hard to see too unless they are in a road or on an edge. Pretty thick in most places and the sun was hot today from late morning on.

zelmo1

Pathetic up here, I am really concerned. Ive seen almost as many hit by vehicles than 'on the hoof". More dry hens than even 1 poult. My notes show 13 poults with 7 hens and 37 dry hens, usually in small groups in the 65 square miles I generally hunt. I put a lot of time scouting year round and these numbers are horrifying. I only saw a few jakes last year and 75% were together. I had a few toms around but they were thinned out opening week. I am sure thay 75% of the mature toms on my hunting properties were tagged. The farmer keeps a very good tally and the count was 19/25 toms taken on his properties. 11/34 last year. More pressure and less birds. I hope this isnt a trend. Z

WV Flopper

Not good pictures but best I can do setting in the road. Seen another batch that I didn't get a picture of. All three groups in one day.

WV Flopper

Seen this while sanging, was watching for him, I knew he was close by. No issue.

I flipped a rock over walking and woke him up, hard to get good pics when on a unstable rock, moving around, 20 yards from a bear you don't want to take your eye off of.

Muzzy61

Looks like we have had a pretty good hatch here in North Florida.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr