OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 Gauge- Tristar Viper G2 or Weatherby Element?

Started by BDeal, August 22, 2022, 10:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDeal

I've been shooting mostly a very heavy Winchester Super X2 12 gauge for turkeys for many years. I'm looking to go a lot lighter to a 20 gauge with TSS. I really wanted the Weatherby SA 459 but I see they are now discontinued. I'm now looking at the Weatherby Element and the Tristar Viper G2 Turkey. The Viper appears almost perfect except it has a 24 inch barrel and I would prefer a 22 inch. The Element has a 22 inch barrel but no pistol grip (which I would like). I believe the Tristar is tapped for a scope (can anyone verify this?) whereas the Element is not. I'm leaning toward the Tristar but still not sure. Any thoughts on  these 2? Also, does anyone know of anywhere I might possibly find an SA 459?

Thank You!!

Tail Feathers

When I went looking for a lightweight 20 I wound up with a Mossberg SA 20.  I think many of these Turkish made shotguns probably come from the same factory. 
The Mossberg is drilled and tapped, comes with a picatinny rail and a good turkey choke in a 22" barrel.  The only box it doesn't check is pistol grip.  I don't think they make one for it.  It is probably the lightest of these guns, listed at 5 lbs it's an ounce shy of 6 lbs on my digital fish scale.
I've only shot a few rounds thru it so far, but I just got it this summer and just put a SwampFox green dot on it this weekend.  Good luck in your serch.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

zelmo1

Sa-20 shoulb be worth a look. I do not have one but do have 2 of the Sa-28 which I love. The Stoeger 3020 is a good solid gun as I do have one of these and it shoots TSS nicely through a Sumtoy or Indian Creek choke. Never a bad thing buying a new gun, just an adventure, lol. Z

Roost 1

Between the two mentioned I pick the Tristar.
However I'd def look at the SA-20.
I have a SA-459 and in my opinion it's the best all around turkey gun for the money.

Greg Massey

Another gun to look at and consider is the Franchi Affinity 3 turkey model 41335 in 20 gauge. It will have the inertia driven system and comes with a 7 year warranty.
Pistol grip stock.  I have the Franchi Affinity Elite 3 in turkey and it's one of the best turkey guns I've ever carried this past spring in 20 gauge. The Elite model has a few more options. The Franchi Affinity 3 turkey in bottomland want cost you much more than the Tristar ...IMO

BDeal

Quote from: Greg Massey on August 23, 2022, 11:00:57 AM
Another gun to look at and consider is the Franchi Affinity 3 turkey model 41335 in 20 gauge. It will have the inertia driven system and comes with a 7 year warranty.
Pistol grip stock.  I have the Franchi Affinity Elite 3 in turkey and it's one of the best turkey guns I've ever carried this past spring in 20 gauge. The Elite model has a few more options. The Franchi Affinity 3 turkey in bottomland want cost you much more than the Tristar ...IMO

I did look at these online. It looks like they are a half a pound to nearly a pound heavier than the Tristar though.

Dtrkyman

My opinion is the lightest one available, these guns are all really similar and for turkeys all seem reliable enough!

I have an sa-20, when they called it a turkey thug, got a crazy deal on a new one a while ago.  I would prefer a 24" barrel personally but getting used to the shorty.  Not a fan of a pistol grip though.

Patterned well with the factory tube and handloads, and the Indian creek .555 is just ridiculous!

Greg Massey

Quote from: BDeal on August 23, 2022, 11:15:27 AM
Quote from: Greg Massey on August 23, 2022, 11:00:57 AM

I did look at these online. It looks like they are a half a pound to nearly a pound heavier than the Tristar though.
That Tristar is going to weigh around 6 1/2 pounds ... but if i was choosing a gas system or Inertia, i would take the Inertia system ... The gun just has a good balance.  But you do what you want ....

BDeal

Good Info- That Franchi is on my  radar as well. Anyone know where I might find an SA 459??

misfire

I had a SA459, decent gun, terrible trigger. Went to a TriStar last year, used someone else's handloads and the receiver blew up in my hand. TriStar said it was an ammo problem, I didnt argue. Now I have the Affinity
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

BDeal

Quote from: misfire on August 24, 2022, 02:15:00 PM
I had a SA459, decent gun, terrible trigger. Went to a TriStar last year, used someone else's handloads and the receiver blew up in my hand. TriStar said it was an ammo problem, I didnt argue. Now I have the Affinity

Is the Affinity noticeably heavier than the Tristar was? One of the biggest reasons I'm looking at a 20 gauge is getting something lighter and it appears the Affinity's are a little heavier than the competition. Thanks!

misfire

Quote from: BDeal on August 25, 2022, 09:38:40 AM
Quote from: misfire on August 24, 2022, 02:15:00 PM

Is the Affinity noticeably heavier than the Tristar was? One of the biggest reasons I'm looking at a 20 gauge is getting something lighter and it appears the Affinity's are a little heavier than the competition. Thanks!

Not by much if it is. Can't weigh the Tristar to tell you for sure. Hate that happened, never got to shoot at a bird with it
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Jordan121787

I love my Franchi but this past season it was a little too long. This year I went to a tiny O/U Yildiz. 5.0lbs, 20" barrels, 35" total length, and a short/long range chokes. It's hard to beat. Out of those two, I would chose the Weatherby. I've held both and shot the tristar. The trigger is terrible on the tristar. The 22" barrel and OG bottomland camo on the Weatherby is nice. The only complaint about the Weatherby is that it's not drilled and tapped. I prefer the meadow creek mount anyways so it's really not a deal breaker.