Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How Soon For A " 1 Spring Gobbler Limit" Across All States?

Started by quavers59, August 10, 2022, 10:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

I See The Writing on the wall. I am hoping that my own State of New York stays at a " 2 Gobbler Limit" for at least another 5 years or so.
     These Declining Turkey numbers especially  in the Southeast has to Plateau  at some point soon with less Predators  being Born in a response to less Prey Available.
    Hoping for a Big Wild Turkey Turnaround  and hopefully my Title to this Thread never comes True.

HookedonHooks

All or most states will be that way within 5 years for sure. Reduce tags and increase the cost substantially. Monetize the resource while they still can is likely how must agencies will look at it.

guesswho

Hopefully it doesn't mirror the quails history.   I can see pen raised "wild" turkeys being released the day before paid hunts.   On the plus side, if it ever gets to that point, the limits should go back up.   And there should be plenary of how to videos on look at MeTube. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

TurkeyReaper69

Unfortunately it probably is in the foreseeable future as many state game agencies or wildlife boards are regulating seasons/ amending regulations due to public outcry rather than heeding the advice of the state biologists (Looking at you Tennessee).

With the huge inflation in demand I'm more in favor of pricing out more folks with non-resident license costs to the point only the die-hard turkey hunters will remain in the traveling game rather than slashing limits. Turkey hunting appears to be going in the direction of western big game and it is not pretty.

You can thank a plethora of mitigating factors for where we are today. I place direct blame on influencers, money hungry state game agencies, and improper management of the resource.

It is depressing to think of all the places off the top of my head that have been ruined by influencing and advertising. Shame.... it was good while it lasted.

TurkeyReaper69

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on August 10, 2022, 01:58:29 PM
Unfortunately it probably is in the foreseeable future as many state game agencies or wildlife boards are regulating seasons/ amending regulations due to public outcry rather than heeding the advice of the state biologists (Looking at you Tennessee).

With the huge inflation in demand I'm more in favor of pricing out more folks with non-resident license costs to the point only the die-hard turkey hunters will remain in the traveling game rather than slashing limits. Turkey hunting appears to be going in the direction of western big game and it is not pretty.

You can thank a plethora of mitigating factors for where we are today. I place direct blame on influencers, money hungry state game agencies, and improper management of the resource.

It is depressing to think of all the places off the top of my head that have been ruined by influencing and advertising. Shame.... it was good while it lasted.
Oh, and to add onto this R3 has absolutely been a raging success or a complete and utter failure depending on what side of the coin you look at. R3 has been used as an excuse for influencers (youtubers, podcasters, outdoor industry, etc) to exploit a resource for a cash lining in their pockets or for their name to be remembered. And this doesn't just stop with turkey either, every single one of them is in it for the money or fame. If they truly wanted to make a difference and attract new hunters they'd be volunteering on mentored hunts or teaching hunter's safety classes.

GobbleGitr

Quote from: quavers59 on August 10, 2022, 10:22:33 AM
     I See The Writing on the wall. I am hoping that my own State of New York stays at a " 2 Gobbler Limit" for at least another 5 years or so.
     These Declining Turkey numbers especially  in the Southeast has to Plateau  at some point soon with less Predators  being Born in a response to less Prey Available.
    Hoping for a Big Wild Turkey Turnaround  and hopefully my Title to this Thread never comes True.

All of us hope for opportunity, but more than that, I hope wild turkey numbers bounce back, and I'm willing to sacrifice and hope others will be too.  You are assuming predators are alone driving the problem, which I personally don't think is the case.  When the wild turkey turkey was re-established, even in-state licenses were limited.  Now many states allow an unlimited number of residents to kill multiple birds, and many allow (a generally limited) nonresidents to kill multiple birds.  If everyone just wants to bunker up and protect their 2 birds per state (or whatever), we are going to be fighting a management battle without all the tools in the toolbox.  I also hope for a turnaround!

GobbleNut

"How Soon For A " 1 Spring Gobbler Limit" Across All States?"

I don't expect this to happen any time soon.  There are still states that have turkey populations that are doing well and can handle the harvest of additional gobblers in their spring seasons without harming the resource.  I don't think that one-bird spring limits are on their short-term radar at this time. 

Will that attitude change as hunter numbers and harvest go up?  Maybe,...even probably,...but I think it will be a while, especially in those states (mostly northern-tier states) that are seeing increasing turkey numbers even in the face of gradually increasing hunting pressure.  Of course, the anticipated northern migration of turkey hunters in response to decreasing opportunity in the south may speed up the process.   

Ultimately, it all comes down to solving the failing-reproduction problem that is causing the declines.  Resolve that issue and the bag limit debate will take care of itself.  Having said that, unless conditions change,...that is, turkey numbers rebound and hunter numbers stop increasing,...I think the days of 3+ bird bag limits are about over. 

cwedding

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on August 10, 2022, 02:07:05 PM

Oh, and to add onto this R3 has absolutely been a raging success or a complete and utter failure depending on what side of the coin you look at. R3 has been used as an excuse for influencers (youtubers, podcasters, outdoor industry, etc) to exploit a resource for a cash lining in their pockets or for their name to be remembered. And this doesn't just stop with turkey either, every single one of them is in it for the money or fame. If they truly wanted to make a difference and attract new hunters they'd be volunteering on mentored hunts or teaching hunter's safety classes.
I've said that multiple times to folks. R3 is absolutely terrible for wild turkeys and current hunters in my opinion. Especially when they amended the Pittman Robertson Act to allow those dollars to be used for "R3 expenses" in 2019. That is when suddenly states started paying big bucks for influencers rather than towards habitat improvement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

If it preserved our sport and helped the populations rebound, I am all for it. Unfortunately it may be all about the dollars from license and permit revenue. NJ had another lower harvest outcome again in 2022. It will be interesting to see if they make any permit/bag limit adjustment in 2023? They bring in lots of revenue selling permits. Hopefully this won't cloud their judgement when it comes to protecting our resource.....

Hook hanger

Maybe 1 bird states will thin out the less serious hunters. I honestly think some of the states that start emplimenting draws for non-residents is in the foreseeable future of turkey hunting.

Tom007

Quote from: Hook hanger on August 10, 2022, 07:12:47 PM
Maybe 1 bird states will thin out the less serious hunters. I honestly think some of the states that start emplimenting draws for non-residents is in the foreseeable future of turkey hunting.

This might bring in some controversy for those hunters that live in one state, belong to a club or have a hunting camp in another? The draw process would be unfair to this group that regularly counts on hunting these states every year.

Hook hanger

Quote from: Tom007 on August 10, 2022, 07:39:19 PM
Quote from: Hook hanger on August 10, 2022, 07:12:47 PM

This might bring in some controversy for those hunters that live in one state, belong to a club or have a hunting camp in another? The draw process would be unfair to this group that regularly counts on hunting these states every year.

"Unfair" is coming to certain states and I'm sure more will follow. 

gaswamp

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on August 10, 2022, 02:07:05 PM

what is r3?

nativeks

Recruit, Retain, Reactivate

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

deerhunt1988

hunting gear companies, state agencies, YouTubers/influencers see it as:

Revenue, Revenue, Revenue