OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TFT Alabama Research Preliminary Findings (YEAR 1)

Started by TurkeysForTomorrow, July 28, 2022, 02:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurkeysForTomorrow

Since June 2020, Turkeys For Tomorrow has grown from the humble idea of 14 individuals into a nationally recognized organization participating in and funding turkey research throughout the country.  The driving force behind TFT is solely the conservation and preservation of the wild turkey.  From the onset of TFT, its founders vowed that the wild turkey was the centerpiece of the organization's purpose and mission.  Answering the hard questions that would identify the root causes of the issues facing the wild turkey was at the top of the list for TFT and would provide the framework for the right research, education and potential regulation changes that would both sustain and increase turkey populations.  In addition to the wild turkey being the sole focus of our organization, TFT will maintain transparency and accountability to our supporters and sponsors.

With the help of the Alabama Wildlife Federation and individuals that were known throughout the "turkey community," TFT set out to identify and contribute to research projects that could help to uncover the causes of wild turkey population's decline.  Within the first seven months of the inception of TFT, three research projects were funded under the leadership of Dr. Will Gulsby of Auburn University.

One of those studies involves capturing and fitting hens with GPS transmitters to determine timing of nesting and incubation, nest survival, poult survival, and habitat selection.  This would provide vital information on what factors contribute to successful recruitment of poults into the population.

TFT's preliminary results of this study are as follows:

- A total of 20 hens were monitored during spring/summer 2022.

- 18/20 hens survived (90%).

- 15 hens (75%) attempted to nest. All hens in the study were adults at time of capture.

- 2 hens (10%) successfully hatched at least one poult. All other nests failed.

- Brood survival was 0% (none of the hatched poults lived).

Although turkey reproduction varies annually, these results clearly indicate there are serious issues with both nest and brood survival. Additional data will be collected in coming years that should provide a more accurate representation of poult production over time, as well as factors that contribute to successful and unsuccessful nests and broods.

A second study was conducted to determine if disease and/or fertility issues in male turkeys are contributing to the decline in populations.  To date, 401 carcasses have been collected from turkey hunters for sampling and analysis.  All samples were collected in Alabama and represented 48 of the 67 counties (71%) across the state.  Preliminary results of this study are as follows:

- A small number of these birds were clearly diseased. Results are pending lab confirmation.
- There are clear differences in testicle size among adult males. The implications of that are still unclear as further microscopic       examination is necessary to assess fertility rates.

Testing will be conducted for the following pathogens:

- Lymphoproliferative disease virus (LPDV)
- Reticuloendotheliosis virus (REV)
- Select hemoparasites (Haemoproteus spp., Leucocytozoon spp.)

Prior to the conclusion of these studies in Alabama, TFT has expanded its research funding efforts to additional states.  TFT has partnered with DNRs, Professors, and private individuals to fund research projects that will be vital to determining the issues facing the wild turkey population decline.  The goal of TFT's research efforts are multi-faceted: 1) provide research professionals the answers they need to establish change, and 2) provide the private landowner, hunter, and conservationist those answers as well in order for them to better manage their individual properties.  By supporting TFT, these goals can be accomplished by the collaborative efforts of researchers and hunters in order to increase populations of wild turkeys throughout the landscape.

As lab analysis begins to come back from the first subset of samples TFT will keep everyone updated to findings, thank you. If you haven't yet please consider joining TFT.

https://turkeysfortomorrow.org/membership-account/membership-levels/

wchadw

do they plan to test for the mold that comes from corn in their toxicology study?  isn't AL a "ok to bait on private land" state?

guesswho

I know it's a small sampling, but first reaction is WOW!   

Alabama is a no bait state for turkeys, but legal for deer.  And that no bait clause is worth about as much as the paper it's printed on.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

wchadw

Quote from: guesswho on July 28, 2022, 03:00:23 PM
I know it's a small sampling, but first reaction is WOW!   

Alabama is a no bait state for turkeys, but legal for deer.  And that no bait clause is worth about as much as the paper it's printed on.
baiting in MS only legal for deer and hogs.  not turkeys but during deer season the turkeys of course, eat the corn

yes, WOW is right.  very shocking that no poults survived. 

Tail Feathers

Quote from: wchadw on July 28, 2022, 02:29:49 PM
do they plan to test for the mold that comes from corn in their toxicology study?  isn't AL a "ok to bait on private land" state?
In much of Texas turkeys eat corn from feeders year round.   Certainly south Texas and the big deer hunting areas of N. Texxas.   And the Rio population hasn't suffered from it one bit in the past 20 years from all accounts.   Drought can put a hurting on them from year to year but so far they have rebounded well when rain returned.  I doubt the aflatoxin from deer corn turns out to be the problem, but it's certainly worth the effort to prove or disprove.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

wchadw

Quote from: Tail Feathers on July 28, 2022, 03:24:35 PM
Quote from: wchadw on July 28, 2022, 02:29:49 PM
In much of Texas turkeys eat corn from feeders year round.   Certainly south Texas and the big deer hunting areas of N. Texxas.   And the Rio population hasn't suffered from it one bit in the past 20 years from all accounts.   Drought can put a hurting on them from year to year but so far they have rebounded well when rain returned.  I doubt the aflatoxin from deer corn turns out to be the problem, but it's certainly worth the effort to prove or disprove.

its alot drier in s texas than in central MS where the humidity is always really high.  i have seen corn on the ground here with mold like black hair growing out of it.  the deer hunters where i hunt will dump it out
spring in MS usually means lots and lots of rain.  it may not be the problem but i was curious.

i do my best to get rid of as many nest predators in as i can where i hunt and i have noticed a difference in the years that i don't in the number of poults

Stoeger_bird

Wow 75% nest initiation amd only 10% successfully hatched an egg! Well that flies in the face of the dominant gobbler being killed to early theory and shows that its all about predators.
T.W.D.W.D.

wchadw

Quote from: Stoeger_bird on July 28, 2022, 04:54:41 PM
Wow 75% nest initiation amd only 10% successfully hatched an egg! Well that flies in the face of the dominant gobbler being killed to early theory and shows that its all about predators.
Unless the eggs weren't fertilized

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulmyr

Quote from: wchadw on July 28, 2022, 05:35:43 PM

He must have missed the clear differences in testicle sizes in adult males part. It will my interesting to see where all this research leads.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Stoeger_bird

Quote from: Paulmyr on July 28, 2022, 05:44:39 PM

He must have missed the clear differences in testicle sizes in adult males part. It will my interesting to see where all this research leads.
Wait are u saying u actually would think the nuts of all male turkeys would be the same size? Do u also think the nuts of all male humans are the same size?
T.W.D.W.D.

Shiloh

Probably more poults here where I'm at than I can ever remember seeing. 

deerhunt1988

Not any current (or past) evidence suggesting that eggs aren't being fertilized. If some of the current research finds this, it will definitely be ground breaking.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: Paulmyr on July 28, 2022, 05:44:39 PM

We've known adult gobbler nuts vary in size for well over 50 years. Based on past literature, it'll be surprising if multiple adult gobblers didn't have viable sperm. I'm more interested in what percentage of jakes had viable sperm, but last I read they had a very small sample size of jakes.

I'm also fairly certain i've read literature where they found gobbler nut size can increase as the breeding season progresses. I.E. March size vs early May size.   Makes sense, likely just the testosterone getting ramped up.

WV Flopper

How many of the 20 hens had viable eggs to be fertilized?

3rd study.

Wigsplitter

Pretty bad report for sure on survival rates- the Oklahoma research thread that was put out just a week or so ago had basically the same results - now on the an answer - we have state and federal paid hog trappers - it's gonna take something like that to get a handle on predators in my opinion— our turkeys definitely need help