News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Nebraska - Advertising Works

Started by cwedding, July 27, 2022, 02:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: guesswho on July 31, 2022, 10:32:11 AM
I'm thinking Horace may be giving himself to much credit, and is more of a legend in his own mind than he is in the minds of the locals.   

I'm disappointed as much as the next guy when it comes to what turkey hunting has evolved into.  Used to be it was hunter vs. turkey.   Now it's more like hunter vs Local legend Horace vs four mountain bike riding dudes vs turkey.  I miss the good ole days.   And for me that was late 60's to early 2000's.  I still enjoy it, and accept it as a it is what it is situation.  I still have a couple pieces of public that's pretty dang good.  And I hope no one advertises where they are, I know I won't.

Regardless of local legends, non-residents, etc. it should be about the turkeys first and foremost, and loose lips negate that.  Selfishness regardless of how it's spun.  For many, it's about "I" and "Me".  I feel blessed to have experienced the days prior to much of the nonsense we see today. 

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

nativeks

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on July 30, 2022, 09:04:28 PM
Quote from: nativeks on July 27, 2022, 08:52:46 PM
Quote from: Kansan on July 27, 2022, 07:36:07 PM
Same thing happened to Kansas...
Yep. 2020 we went to 1 bird in much of the state. You will see one state wide soon. I remember seeing on this very forum that "Kansas is the place the internet killed".

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Kansas is the perfect example of how the internet / social media affects the hunting pressure in a state.  In the early 2000s, the hunting pressure was minimal.  It was pre-YouTube pillaging, but forums and later FB promoted it like the annoying AppleBees commercial....non-stop.   Free flowing information of how awesome it was, and endless reports of "limited out in one day".  I know of several guys in my home state of Arkansas that had either never turkey hunted or had hunted very little with no success that soon were traveling to Kansas and killing turkeys, posting and sharing of exploits before the turkeys had even quit flopping.  Basically, touted as the state for instant gratification in the turkey world.  Kansas was old news by the time the YouTube craze really kicked in gear.  But, once the faucet gets turned on to that level it can't be turned off.
We are watching it play out again with waterfowl. At least I got to see the good old days of my 2 favorite pursuits.

Kansan

Quote from: nativeks on July 31, 2022, 07:18:58 PM
Quote from: El Pavo Grande on July 30, 2022, 09:04:28 PM
Quote from: nativeks on July 27, 2022, 08:52:46 PM
Quote from: Kansan on July 27, 2022, 07:36:07 PM
Same thing happened to Kansas...
Yep. 2020 we went to 1 bird in much of the state. You will see one state wide soon. I remember seeing on this very forum that "Kansas is the place the internet killed".

Kansas is the perfect example of how the internet / social media affects the hunting pressure in a state.  In the early 2000s, the hunting pressure was minimal.  It was pre-YouTube pillaging, but forums and later FB promoted it like the annoying AppleBees commercial....non-stop.   Free flowing information of how awesome it was, and endless reports of "limited out in one day".  I know of several guys in my home state of Arkansas that had either never turkey hunted or had hunted very little with no success that soon were traveling to Kansas and killing turkeys, posting and sharing of exploits before the turkeys had even quit flopping.  Basically, touted as the state for instant gratification in the turkey world.  Kansas was old news by the time the YouTube craze really kicked in gear.  But, once the faucet gets turned on to that level it can't be turned off.
We are watching it play out again with waterfowl. At least I got to see the good old days of my 2 favorite pursuits.

The waterfowling is as good as it's ever been in my part of Kansas, but I'm blessed to own one of the best duck ponds in the country.

nativeks

From the KDWPT meeting today. I believe it is voted on tomorrow but this is data and the proposal. They want to reduce NR hunters by 25%

cwedding

Quote from: nativeks on August 04, 2022, 09:41:54 PM
From the KDWPT meeting today. I believe it is voted on tomorrow but this is data and the proposal. They want to reduce NR hunters by 25%

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting. Just crazy how quickly things have shifted. NE KS OK were all the rage in recent memory. Hopefully they can return to their former numbers one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuttinAR

Quote from: nativeks on August 04, 2022, 09:41:54 PM

Wow!  Looks like the end to a 20-year tradition and some great friends is near. 

deerhunt1988

Its all just a chain reaction like many of us have predicted.

Nebraska proposes to put a cap on non-residents, their neighbor to the south takes notice and follows suit.

We will continue to see more states enact NR restrictions in the future and turkey hunters brought it upon themselves.

AndyN

Quote from: cuttinAR on August 05, 2022, 09:01:04 AM
Wow!  Looks like the end to a 20-year tradition and some great friends is near.
Why is that? Simply dropping the second bird off is going the take care of a lot of guys. You'll still be able to get a tag with the 25% reduction.

nativeks

Some more data

cwedding

Quote from: nativeks on August 05, 2022, 12:45:19 PM
Some more data

I usually do not think Harvest is a good indication of things, but my gosh... Kansas harvest is dropping like the Titanic. Is it due to less hunters or less turkeys? If I was a betting man, I'd put my chips on significant turkey declines.

deerhunt1988

Kansas had nearly 2.8 million acres enrolled in CRP in FY 2010. For January 2020, that'd dropped to 1.9 millon acres.

Nearly ONE MILLON acres of CRP lost over the past decade. Thats a lot of good nesting and brood habitat, GONE. Likely converted back into row crop. Not surprising turkey numbers are following a similar trajectory.

Paulmyr

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on August 05, 2022, 01:54:46 PM
Kansas had nearly 2.8 million acres enrolled in CRP in FY 2010. For January 2020, that'd dropped to 1.9 millon acres.

Nearly ONE MILLON acres of CRP lost over the past decade. Thats a lot of good nesting and brood habitat, GONE. Likely converted back into row crop. Not surprising turkey numbers are following a similar trajectory.

You beat me to it. I think the reductions in CRP enrollment started in 2011
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

deerhunt1988

Kansas pheasant harvest has followed a very similar trend. Harvest started dropping a couple years before turkey, but that's exactly what you'd expect considering the harvest is primarily composed of hatch-year birds, while turkey harvest is almost all 2-3 year old gobblers.

nativeks

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on August 05, 2022, 03:10:48 PM
Kansas pheasant harvest has followed a very similar trend. Harvest started dropping a couple years before turkey, but that's exactly what you'd expect considering the harvest is primarily composed of hatch-year birds, while turkey harvest is almost all 2-3 year old gobblers.

Not going to lie I am kind of interested in how they are going to spin the upland bird forecast here in about another month. With 80% of the state in some level or drought, and the pictures I have seen from out west, there are going to be some pissed off hunters as they go from WIHA to WIHA and see it was either converted to row crops or grazed/hayed to the dirt if grass even grew on it.

I bet it will see 1 million acres of land with "pockets" of birds.