News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Nebraska - Advertising Works

Started by cwedding, July 27, 2022, 02:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HookedonHooks

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on July 29, 2022, 09:39:15 AM

It just makes sense to travel to a state or plan trips where you have the opportunity to kill multiple gobblers. At the current trajectory we are on, multiple bird states (for non-residents) will just be further targeted.
Considering the reason travel turkey hunting has become so popular is to chase the illustrious "US Super Slam" I think your analysis is pretty far off base. Most people are killing one bird in a state and moving on to the next before they can even adequately enjoy the state and what it has to offer, let alone alone worry about "tagging out". People that plan a trip just for the sake of killing more than one turkey are probably the guys that overshoot their limit in their home state, and are more in it for the kill and or the social media glory of the numbers game on how many they killed than anything.

It makes sense to travel to any state or plan a trip where you have the opportunity to kill a gobbler, but also enjoy the scenery and all the landscape has to offer, or to experience new things, or to re-experience past memories. That makes sense. Worrying about how many you can kill while on the trip, and then also wondering why turkey numbers are down, that; that does not make sense.

I will be glad to see more states implementing a one turkey limit for residents and non-residents, but the non-residents in particular.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: HookedonHooks on July 29, 2022, 12:02:52 PM

Considering the reason travel turkey hunting has become so popular is to chase the illustrious "US Super Slam" I think your analysis is pretty far off base.

We can just disagree on this one.

Yes, the super slam has exploded in popularity. But "super slammers" comprise a very small percentage of traveling turkey hunters.

fallhnt

The northeast is going to get hit harder now.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Hook hanger

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on July 29, 2022, 12:19:34 PM

Considering the reason travel turkey hunting has become so popular is to chase the illustrious "US Super Slam" I think your analysis is pretty far off base.

Yes, the super slam has exploded in popularity. But "super slammers" comprise a very small percentage of traveling turkey hunters.

I agree the super slammers are a small percentage compared to hunters that just travel to near by states. I chose the places I go and usually pass on the 1 bird states. I'm not a numbers guy or super slammer just like to hunt more than 1 day when going to a state.

Hook hanger

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on July 29, 2022, 12:19:34 PM

I agree the super slammers are a small percentage compared to hunters that just travel to near by states. I chose the places I go and usually pass on the 1 bird states. I'm not a numbers guy or super slammer just like to hunt more than 1 day when going to a state.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: Hook hanger on July 29, 2022, 02:47:55 PM
I chose the places I go and usually pass on the 1 bird states. I'm not a numbers guy or super slammer just like to hunt more than 1 day when going to a state.
You must be God's gift to turkey hunting if you show up to every state you go to and kill a bird in 1 day. Then again maybe I just suck.  :bike2:

Hook hanger

Quote from: HookedonHooks on July 29, 2022, 04:07:52 PM
I chose the places I go and usually pass on the 1 bird states. I'm not a numbers guy or super slammer just like to hunt more than 1 day when going to a state.
You must be God's gift to turkey hunting if you show up to every state you go to and kill a bird in 1 day. Then again maybe I just suck.  :bike2:

Does killing 5 in two days not suck?

HookedonHooks

Quote from: Hook hanger on July 29, 2022, 04:19:51 PM
Quote from: HookedonHooks on July 29, 2022, 04:07:52 PM

Does killing 5 in two days not suck?
Sounds like you hit them right, and had a heckuva time. Necessary, that's totally a personal choice, no one gets to dictate where another man's fun has to end because of their beliefs on anything. When legal, it's totally a personal choice.

Being in the right places throughout the country at the right time probably accounts for a lot of traveling hunters, saying all of them are "Super Slammers" wasn't the best choice of words, but the social media exploitation of that particular feat has certainly made people less content with killing turkeys in their own or neighboring states since that time, that's for sure.

Paulmyr

Quote from: Paulmyr on July 28, 2022, 10:22:06 PM
Quote from: deerhunt1988 on July 28, 2022, 04:43:35 PM
Quote from: AndyN on July 28, 2022, 02:55:37 PM
Sure was fun while it lasted. What state is next on the list to pillage? The youtube tells me WI.

It already got hit hard once after someone's 2019 rampage there. It'll definitely be on the chopping block again as non-residents continue to lose more and more opportunity as YouTubers and influencers exploit public lands for a few bucks and internet fame.

Please explain how you think Wi will get pillaged with there being limited license availability.

I'm referring to public lands. Yes, licenses may be limited, but as non-residents lose opportunity in one place, they will head to another. Or head to the next "holy land" shown on YouTube. Many of us veteran travelers have watched this play out time and time again. As southern seasons come to a close, hunters can swoop into Wisconsin and start picking up the leftovers. Which there are always plenty for some zones those last few weeks. Wisconsin does it right though with giving residents preference in the initial draw.

It just makes sense to travel to a state or plan trips where you have the opportunity to kill multiple gobblers. At the current trajectory we are on, multiple bird states (for non-residents) will just be further targeted.
I hunted late season Wis for the last 2 years on the weekends. There were plenty of hunters out but the only out of state plates I've seen were mine.

Edit: I should add; late season public.

Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Stoeger_bird

Quote from: Paulmyr on July 29, 2022, 11:55:54 PM
Sure was fun while it lasted. What state is next on the list to pillage? The youtube tells me WI.

It already got hit hard once after someone's 2019 rampage there. It'll definitely be on the chopping block again as non-residents continue to lose more and more opportunity as YouTubers and influencers exploit public lands for a few bucks and internet fame.

Please explain how you think Wi will get pillaged with there being limited license availability.

I'm referring to public lands. Yes, licenses may be limited, but as non-residents lose opportunity in one place, they will head to another. Or head to the next "holy land" shown on YouTube. Many of us veteran travelers have watched this play out time and time again. As southern seasons come to a close, hunters can swoop into Wisconsin and start picking up the leftovers. Which there are always plenty for some zones those last few weeks. Wisconsin does it right though with giving residents preference in the initial draw.

I hunted late season Wis for the last 2 years on the weekends. There were plenty of hunters out but the only out of state plates I've seen were mine.

Did they all have the same size nuts?
T.W.D.W.D.

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: nativeks on July 27, 2022, 08:52:46 PM
Quote from: Kansan on July 27, 2022, 07:36:07 PM
Same thing happened to Kansas...
Yep. 2020 we went to 1 bird in much of the state. You will see one state wide soon. I remember seeing on this very forum that "Kansas is the place the internet killed".

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Kansas is the perfect example of how the internet / social media affects the hunting pressure in a state.  In the early 2000s, the hunting pressure was minimal.  It was pre-YouTube pillaging, but forums and later FB promoted it like the annoying AppleBees commercial....non-stop.   Free flowing information of how awesome it was, and endless reports of "limited out in one day".  I know of several guys in my home state of Arkansas that had either never turkey hunted or had hunted very little with no success that soon were traveling to Kansas and killing turkeys, posting and sharing of exploits before the turkeys had even quit flopping.  Basically, touted as the state for instant gratification in the turkey world.  Kansas was old news by the time the YouTube craze really kicked in gear.  But, once the faucet gets turned on to that level it can't be turned off. 

Dtrkyman

I have been to traveling to hunt turkeys for years, has nothing to do with any slam!  Never been to Florida and it is the only bird I have not taken.

It is way out of the way and from what I have seen of the public land hunts there I have no interest in it, so enjoy!

Paulmyr

Quote from: Stoeger_bird on July 30, 2022, 05:45:11 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on July 29, 2022, 11:55:54 PM

Did they all have the same size nuts?

"Apparently" somebody needs a timeout and have their phone privileges suspended. I'm not sure this is the right thread or forum for that matter to be discussing your fetishes.

Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

quavers59

Just how many Traveling UTube Turkey Killing Groups are there? I have lost count. There has to be at least 25 minimum .   I used to enjoy watching a bunch of different  groups on Utube. Now,I hope never to see 3 or 4 Dudes pop out of a Truck and 4 Mountain Bikes ready to Speed on in on Public.
    I would love to know how many Negative  interactions  must take place before being edited out as in 3 or 4 Dudes  arriving in Horace's Fav Field  while Local Legend Horace is already set up in a corner.

guesswho

I'm thinking Horace may be giving himself to much credit, and is more of a legend in his own mind than he is in the minds of the locals.   

I'm disappointed as much as the next guy when it comes to what turkey hunting has evolved into.  Used to be it was hunter vs. turkey.   Now it's more like hunter vs Local legend Horace vs four mountain bike riding dudes vs turkey.  I miss the good ole days.   And for me that was late 60's to early 2000's.  I still enjoy it, and accept it as a it is what it is situation.  I still have a couple pieces of public that's pretty dang good.  And I hope no one advertises where they are, I know I won't.   

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff